The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Pell: Disgraceful Decision

Pell: Disgraceful Decision

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 58
  8. 59
  9. 60
  10. All
Pell was doomed by the ABC and other Left media because he was/is a social and political conservative. They hate the Catholic church, and they wanted to nail high-ranking priests. Because of the sensationalism and hatred displayed by the media, he was never going to get a fair trial. Hopefully an appeal will reveal the absurdity of a conviction based on mere accusations and zero evidence
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 27 February 2019 9:19:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pell's political views had nothing to do with it. He was found guilty because a jury believed the witness.

The accusations did seem far fetched, but the court process left the jury in no doubt. They heard a lot more about it than we did.

I'm not going to comment further until after I've seen 4 Corners next Monday.
Posted by Aidan, Thursday, 28 February 2019 10:26:30 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I must say from the onset that I am not Catholic, was made to attend C of E Sunday school as a child and I have nothing but contempt for 'kiddy fiddlers'.

I have read all I can find about this case and for the life of me I cannot see how Pell could be found guilty. I fact I am at a loss to see how it ever got to court. I have yet to see one shread of evidence by the prosecution.

The whole case is simply one persons word against another. No evidence was put, only allegations. How can a case be built on that?

Until now I thought that it was up to the prosecution to prove guilt.

This case sets a precedent in that a person can be found guilty in a court of law by accusations alone. A man can be found guilty of rape by false accusations of a woman he dated many years ago, without any supporting evidence. My cleaning lady could be found guilty of theft on my accusations alone, again no evidence provided. We are now all vulnerable to guilt by accusations alone in our courts.

Australia must be the laughing stock in the democratic world.
Posted by HenryL, Thursday, 28 February 2019 10:33:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Moral: don't upset the alphabet crowd.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 28 February 2019 10:43:40 AM
A Suppression order had kept Cardinal Pell's
convictions out of the media to ensure a
fair trial. Reporters sat in court for
months forbidden from reporting a word -
unable to publish a word of what they heard
and saw.

The Court had ruled that the interests of justice
were paramount.

The Suppression order has finally been lifted
but -
there's the Appeals process to follow.

Much is being discussed about this very sad and
shocking case and will undoubtedly continue to
be discussed for many years. One thing should
however be made clear - this was a trial of
Cardinal Pell for performing abominable acts.
This was not a trial of the Catholic Church.

It was up to the prosecution to prove its case.
In the end the jury's view was crystal clear.
The verdict was unanimous - Guilty!

I guess it's up to whether we believe in the
jury system.

In his succinct but powerful closing comments
the Defense Lawyer asked the jury to consider
how would the complainant have known the layout
of the priest's sacristy, and that there were wooden
panels, a storage cupboard, a kitchenette and
sacramental wine in there?

It was not a place where choirboys were allowed to
enter. Yet the complainant was able to describe the
room in detail. We might ask ourselves how would he
know that unless he was there?

How does he know about the concealed alcove area without
actually being there? How does he know its a storage
kitchenette kind of thing and there being a wood-
panelled area if he's not been in there? How does the
complainant know that that was where the wine was kept?

The jurors were asked to consider the overall impression
the complainant left on them. Did he strike them as an
honest witness? Was he someone inventing things or was
he simply someone telling it how it was and is. A
person genuinely recounting events experienced as a 13
year old through the eyes of a 34 year old?

It appears that the jury believed the testimony of the
claimant.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 28 February 2019 10:54:56 AM
I left the Catholic church decades ago. I think much of their doctrine is herectical. Much of my family are still Catholics. The first thought that came to my mind when found guilty was Lindy Chamberlain. It is almost impossible to see how the accussations against Pell were beyond reasonable doubt. Just look at the lying leftist media and swamp that has been caught out time and time again in America recently. Our own abc is among the lying leftist media swamp. It was impssoible for Pell to receive a fair unbiased trial after decades of lies, accusations and slurs many of them proven false and often pushed by the abc and other catholic hating media. Again I could not care less about the Catholic church. I do care about truth and justice.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 28 February 2019 11:19:47 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 58
  8. 59
  9. 60
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy