The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > How could a union boss justify this salary.

How could a union boss justify this salary.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Comparing one exorbitant salary with another is as pointless and childish as saying 'he did it too'; 'I'm not the only one'; 'Everybody does it', and so on. Philip is drawing attention to one undeserving crook in particular. If he wanted to compare or talk about all people who are paid too much, he would be dead of old age before reached the end of the list. Some posters simply have to take issue with others not in their political camp even if they have nothing to say that is relevant to the original post. Empty vessels make the most (unnecessary) noise.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 27 February 2019 10:22:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What is the take home pay after tax?
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 27 February 2019 1:40:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Philip S,

Of course it is ludicrous but you forgot to mention that this bloke is serving 7 years for defrauding the Union including paying himself 3 times the salary of other leaders of unions, some way larger than the size of his.

This article spells out the current salary ranges for different sectors.

http://www.michaelpage.com.au/advice/market-insights/industry-reports/jobs-paying-highest-salaries-australia

And yes $500,000 is far too excessive. The union has about 70,000 members. While union membership may well be optional it is hard to call it discretionary spending.

The Essendon footy club CEO gets more than this with 70,000 members but people aren't virtually forced to take out membership but there is a moral factor here. And the AFL CEO is on 1.7 million dollars annual salary. It is fat cats of whatever stripe giving themselves pay rises.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Wednesday, 27 February 2019 1:47:58 PM
Good afternoon Philip,

It appears that the former General Secretary of HSU
not only gave himself the salary of $500,000 but also
was convicted and imprisoned for fraud on the 4th April
2014. Following his conviction and imprisonment the
NSW Branch of the Labor Party expelled Williamson as a
member of the Party. What motivated the man who supposedly
was a man of "good character"previously - to behave in
this manner? We can only assume as Steele points out
that it was greed.

Here's what Williamson said by way of explanation and
apology to his union members:

"As you would be aware from media commentary I was charged
by the NSW Police over a number of matters relating to the
financial operations of the Union when I was General Secretary.
The charges laid by the police will shortly be before the
Local Court and at that time I intend to enter a plea of
Guilty to a number of charges. The matter will now be
remitted to the District Court for sentencing. I wish
to place on record my sincere apology to all of you. You
placed your trust in me when I was the General Secretary
and I abused that trust. I apologise unreservedly to all
of you for my actions which were not in keeping with
the position I formerly held. I have agreed to assist the
Union in recovery actions against others and will honour
that agreement. The Court will determine the penalty
I am to receive, but it won't remove the fact that I
have to live with the matter until the day I die.
Please do not desert the Union over this issue as the
Union did nothing wrong. It was me that did the wrong
thing and I accept responsibility for my wrong doing."
- Michael Williamson.

I imagine this would have been small comfort for the
members of the Union.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 27 February 2019 3:08:26 PM
yep we all dislike those we oppose ideologically getting what we see as 'overpaid'. Its an area that people will never agree. I think good teachers and nurses are underpaid while very average ones are well overpaid. Some Government workers are good value while others are lazy bludging on the taxpayer and using every avenue to decrease work and increase pay. Personally I don't like unions however if the membership are happy to pay mega bucks so be it. It would be interesting to know what people feel different occupations are worth.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 27 February 2019 3:58:49 PM
runner,
That's about the gist of it. That's why I'm so much in favour of having public servants on three years probation with further probation periods on promotions.
The public service offers above average pay with above average benefits & it therefore is justified that performance is continuously appraised.
That is not too much to ask for the rewards. I was in the PS for a couple of years & I have witnessed the rorts & incompetence first hand. The Public really deserves better than what they're getting lately. There are many who climbed the ladder according to the Peter principle & the costs to the taxpayer confirm this.
No-one should be on more than half of the present top bureaucrat salaries. It's not deserved morally & not sustainable as it is now becoming apparent. The playing field must be levelled if we are to head into the future with realistic expectations.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 27 February 2019 5:57:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy