The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > political commentators

political commentators

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. 15
  13. All
Hasbeen face it mate, one of us is wrong on this issue
And it is in my view not me, if you read my post, not looking for reason to insult, you will see I clearly do not want them bought here
You too, if you look, will see I target a section within my party
I do so because they refuse to see Australians are wary of uninvited arrivals
Posted by Belly, Monday, 18 February 2019 3:02:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Belly and Hasbeen.,

The only alternative that we have is to remove the
real sugar on the table (to use a Tony Abbott phrase) -
our membership of the Refugee Convention. We would be
the first of the 145 member countries to withdraw.
And we would be turning our backs on genuine refugees
who have had no alternative but to flee their country
including as a result of wars in which we have participated
in Iraq and Afghanistan.

That has one small argument going for it. It would end
the hypocrisy of Australia pretending to be a splendid
international citizen through membership of the Refugee
Convention (we were one of the first countries to ratify
the Refugee Convention in 1954) while turning ourselves
inside out to avoid its obligations.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 18 February 2019 3:52:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly I was referring to this bit of your post. "And with inflicting continuing cruelty on those on offshore detention".

That is the bit I was referring to as garbage, & it most definitely is. Those people are totally free to leave Manus, any time4 they chose. They are there only because they believe our bleeding hearts will prevail. They are enjoying a long tropical island holiday, while waiting for their main payout, Oz welfare.

As I mentioned, Manus is many peoples idea of heaven. A truly beautiful place & with the central highlands almost 2500Ft high, has a lovely cooling breeze wafting down to the coast at night. It is definitely one of the nicest places I have ever visited
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 18 February 2019 4:33:12 PM
Foxy/Hasbeen I get no joy in speaking as I do on this subject
YES it is cruel to treat these people as we do
And NO never ever bring them here
That hurts too
But Australians have never forgiven self imposed enclave,s some bring with them
Tell me every day every hour, refugees have the right to want a better life
I will agree
But not boat loads of FINANCIAL REFUGEES mostly young men, demanding entry
My wish is for a more caring and sharing government, it will not be an open door government
It can not be voters will not have it
Tell me again how good multi cultures is, but tell me why integration is not
When humanity grows up, if we ever do, we will see the links mass migration right now, has to over population
We do very well with migrant intake, better than many
But can not forever and ever ignore this world must confront population growth not just redistribution of population
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 19 February 2019 6:08:55 AM
Dear Foxy,

You suggest

"The only alternative that we have is to remove the real sugar on the table (to use a Tony Abbott phrase) - our membership of the Refugee Convention. We would be the first of the 145 member countries to withdraw. And we would be turning our backs on genuine refugees who have had no alternative but to flee their country including as a result of wars in which we have participated in Iraq and Afghanistan."

And what if the Coalition government (and then Labour) don't revoke our membership ? Business as usual. Let's try to be honest about all this:

*. there is an annual refugee quota, 20,000, plus refugees in special categories; on a population basis, Australia's intake is one of the highest of all OECD countries;

*. There is one doctor for every fourteen illegal refugees on Nauru, who are mostly young, fit men. Something like 74 medical people are working with a thousand people. I wonder how far across outback Queensland 74 doctors would be currently providing services for - a hundred thousand people across half a million square miles ?

*. Nauru is a sovereign country, and has the legitimate power to say yes or no about whether people there can be transferred to some other country such as Australia. No doubt they would like to be rid of the whole bloody lot. But so much of the Medivac propaganda seems to rest on the racist assumption that surely, proper medical treatment couldn't possibly be administered on a shirthole like Nauru.

*. why the hell can't medical personnel be flown to Nauru, if it was so necessary to provide special treatment, rather than the other way around ? Then they could provide attention to more than one patient for each plane trip. Let's see what Medecins sans Frontieres have today about it ll.

Love,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 19 February 2019 8:46:42 AM
Dear Joe,

Most of the refugees on Nauru and Manus have been found to
be genuine refugees. They include families and children.
Many have died due to lack of available treatment. Perhaps
you need to read what the bill entails before brushing it
off as "propaganda." The following link may help:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/feb/07/australian-government-ignored-refugee-transfer-advice-from-its-own-doctors-for-up-to-five-years

A few inconvenient facts:

1) Australia has a refugee program
2) It has signed the UN Refugee Convention
3) We were one of the first countries to ratify the
Refugee Convention in 1954
4) Anytime we want to withdraw from it - we can
provided we give 12 months notice
5) In the meantime the Convention's provisions apply to us
and they have been enshrined in Australian law
6) They oblige us to offer protection to refugees who have
left their country and arrive here.
7) They leave it up to us to establish whether they meet the
definition of a refugee - that is, whether they have a
well-founded fear of persecution on the grounds of race,
religion, nationality, membership of a political social
group or political opinion
8) The Convention does not say refugees cannot come by
boat and it does not require them to carry passport, visas,
or identity documents.
9) It does say that refugees cannot be penalised for
the way they come here and they cannot be returned to the
country where they suffered persecution.

The onus is on us to ensure that these people receive the
care and protection as specified under the Convention to
which Australia has signed up.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 19 February 2019 10:52:36 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. 15