The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Child safety in cars

Child safety in cars

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
The recent death of a child in a car due to apparent overheating is a very sad thing to have happened.
Such deaths are avoidable by the exercise of sufficient care but mistakes do happen as this US site shews:
http://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/03/health/hot-car-deaths-child-charts-graphs-trnd/index.html

Surely car manufacturers can come up with a safety device, such as concealed air intakes and exhausts and fans that only come into operation when the internal temperature of the car approaches a predetermined point below danger level?

I have my Statesman fitted with an air cooling fan that has its own battery and solar charger (it doesn't have an automatic switch), this is used on hot days because I don't like coming back to a hot car, one could leave a window or two open but that breaks the law that says that cars must be locked.
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 6 February 2019 7:24:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Quote "Surely car manufacturers can come up with a safety device, such as concealed air intakes and exhausts and fans that only come into operation when the internal temperature of the car approaches a predetermined point below danger level?"

That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, people would possibly leave children or pets in a car thinking now it is safe BUT what happens if technology fails.

Also in the sun on a hot day a little exhaust fan would not work efficiently enough it would need a big fan, also flat battery is a problem.

Also what happens if the child or pet managed to turn it off, week or so ago a car went into a river because the dog messed withe something when left in the car alone.

People should be allowed to smash the window of any car where a child or pet is in danger, at the moment only police can
Posted by Philip S, Wednesday, 6 February 2019 10:17:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I forget what used to happen when they used to leave kids in the car in the past. I think kids just wound down the window. Guess you can't do that if you don't have the keys if there are electric windows. The wonders of contemporary technology... everything has good and bad I guess.
Posted by Canem Malum, Wednesday, 6 February 2019 11:06:46 PM
Canem Malem,

Good post, a few years ago four young blokes drowned in floods in Mumbai because their car apparently had some 'you beaut' anti-theft door locks and the electrics went out, because of the water and they couldn't get out.
Being India their drowning was shewn on the news.

Surely the people who thought up child proof door locks and electric windows could come up with something?

Or the Parliament could rescind the law that requires cars to be locked.
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 6 February 2019 11:31:22 PM
A white car sitting next to black car on a blistering summer's day - but which was hotter after just 20 minutes in the sun?

The experiment saw a white car and a black car parked outside in direct sunlight on a blistering 43-degree summer's day to see which vehicle became hotter, faster.

An experiment conducted by the Royal Automobile Association, South Australia's motorists' body, has settled the debate once and for all.

At the beginning of the experiment the black car recorded a temperature of 47C in its interior, while the white car was measured at 43C. In just 20 minutes, the black car had soared to a sweltering 83C while the white one hit 71C in the same time.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6671547/White-car-black-car-parked-outside-blistering-43C-summer-vehicle-hotter.html
Posted by Philip S, Thursday, 7 February 2019 12:27:53 AM
Issy, its a bit of a hot topic at times, sorry for the pun, having children and pets locked in cars on hot days. Responsible adults need to take more care, and manufactures need to provide some kind of safety mechanism related to the internal temp.

BTW, I always thought you were the Statesman, not your car. Has the car got a name, like "Winston", as in Churchill. Can't exactly go hooning around the bush in a Statesman, anyway I know you are too responsible than that kind of nonsense.

BBTW, I see you are getting into bed with the Lovely Pauline. How about providing the Statesman as Pauline's official vehicle on election day, you can be the chauffeur.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 7 February 2019 5:28:04 AM
“Surely car manufacturers can come up with a safety device …..”, at more cost to car buyers, with more Nanny State. How about parents taking responsibility for THEIR kids.

Very few parents are stupid enough to leave kids in cars. Even leading hysterical Channel 7 wouldn't bellow about it more than twice a year. But, of course, let's get Big Brother to make manufacturers increase the price of already too expensive cars for a couple of idiot parents who should have their children taken away from them. And, seeing we no longer manufacture cars in the New Zimbabwe aka Australia, it isn't going to happen. So unimportant is the occasional roasting of children in cars, the parents (all female I believe) are never punished
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 7 February 2019 8:39:53 AM
Paul,

Unfortunately, the Statesman wouldn't do for politician's car as it has had too many encounters with 'roos.
The bodywork is somewhat dinged, worst one took out one headlight, the grill, distorted the bonnet and badly dented the rhf mudguard and this at about 30 kph and the 'roo got up and bounded away, then, to add insult to injury, a small 'roo hit the lhb mudguard about 20 k further on.
Said guard being brilliantly held on by spring clips hit the road and was severely damaged.

I agree that it is the responsibility of parents etc., but winders on windows would help for older children.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 7 February 2019 8:45:52 AM
Hi Issy, as long as its reliable and getting you from A to B without much trouble. I was thinking of those early 'Statesmen', the ones that looked like Yank Tanks. Is eco on the petrol, or a gas guzzler?

The problem with many modern cars, too many things to go wrong, things you can't fix yourself.
I'm still at a bit of a loss as to how you deal with the hot car problem. If I came across a distressed kid in a car like that, I'm going to smash the window. Of course i would probably get a bill from the owner.

BTW; Your mob look a chance of nicking a couple of staunch National seats in NSW. This environmental disaster in the Murray-Darling has locals up in arms. There is more to it than the drought. Water theft is big news out that way, as is corruption and political skulduggery.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 7 February 2019 9:28:22 AM
The safest device should be the parents !
Posted by individual, Thursday, 7 February 2019 10:18:49 AM
I may be wrong but in this case it seems the baby was forgotten
Surely no one would leave a child in the care ?
However we could develop some alarm that can not be turned of to go off if the car is locked with some one inside
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 7 February 2019 10:52:38 AM
Hi there INDIVIDUAL...I couldn't agree more. A child's safety is the ultimate responsibility of parents. Leaving an infant in a locked car during extreme summer months is a reckless endeavour by any one's measure.

PAUL1405 said he'd break a window, but he'd probably receive a bill from the owner? I would suggest PAUL1405 would be lauded for his actions by everyone including the attending coppers. And requiring him to pay for a broken window, would be the least of the owner's worries, with the coppers being 'all over' the individual (usually females) for 'recklessness' and ignoring the 'foresight of consequences' that the infant could die, rendering the woman or man entirely culpable of Manslaughter.

My thoughts with our own kids - neither my wife or myself would ever conceive leaving an infant in a car unattended, unless in the care of a responsible adult, who's a close member of our family, irrespective of the weather. When it comes to infants & trust, I'm afraid I've seen too much, ever to consider having any 'faith' and trust when it comes to a helpless child?
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 7 February 2019 11:38:29 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul1405 Liar Quote "If I came across a distressed kid in a car like that, I'm going to smash the window. Of course i would probably get a bill from the owner."

** It has already been stated here the action you say you would do is illegal, but should be made legal **

** I wrote - People should be allowed to smash the window of any car where a child or pet is in danger, at the moment only police can **

One day you may learn how to read properly.
Posted by Philip S, Thursday, 7 February 2019 11:38:17 PM
Philly-Poo,
I don't normally read your post, they are mostly rubbish anyway.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 8 February 2019 4:09:24 AM
Is posting here a right or a privileged
Because we post views different to others is it ok to insult without end
If every action has a reaction, is it ok if we all name others liar
Who will make another a target just because they do not like that persons comments
Is our highlighted poster a Bully
Child safety in cars is a worthy subject
It should not be sidetracked by insults and a seeming need to target others without reason
Paul we have limited options, we can not let our selves become just as bad
But we can highlight the problem by letting those posts go unanswered
Posted by Belly, Friday, 8 February 2019 6:25:46 AM
Hi Belly,

You have a top bloke in Mick Daily, very popular in Maroubra. Did a stint on Randwick Council, went well there, before taking the State seat after Bob Carr tossed it in. He's been challenged twice by another good bloke, the perpetual loser Michael Feneley. Michael been around in everything, took on Matt Thistlethwaite (came from the Senate and rolled Peter Garrett for the gig) federally twice The first time I gave him my preference, thought Matt was too much of an Eddie man for my liking. I'm certain Michael would have won if Garrett had still been there for Labor. Michael even chucked his hat into the Liberal ring in Wentworth recently, again without success. Not sure who the Liberals are putting up in Kingsford Smith this year (The great Lionel Bowen's old seat, Lionel would score 75% first preferences, my days in the Labor party) against Matt, but until Michael came along there were often scratching for a candidate. Laurie Brereton came over from the state seat of Heffron for Labor, that's when I left the Party. Peter Garrett was parachuted in by Labor in 2004, at first I was okay with Peter (I had given him a Senate vote way back when he had a go, and just missed out), but we clashed several times verbally over local issues, as I believed he was nothing but a grandstander. Since the days of Lionel the Labor vote has gone south, and the seat is now classed as marginal Labor.

The relatively high profile Pat Farmer is running in Maroubra (don't mind the pun) for the Liberals against Mick Daily. Not sure what affinity Farmer has with the seat of Maroubra, probely none. Despite the "speeding ticket affair" and Pat's profile I think Mick is pretty safe.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 8 February 2019 9:08:46 AM
Hi Again Belly,

All's fair in politics, back in 2011, the year of the wipe out of the Keneally Labor Government in NSW. Things were looking grim for Mick in Maroubra, a big swing was coming his way. Some were even predicting an unrealistic 30% swing. We had a popular candidate in the long serving Randwick councillor Murray Matson, Murray had done a stint as Mayor and was known as a hard worker for the community. The Liberal's had Michael Feneley, who was a bit of an unknown. With preferences we gave ourselves a fair chance of victory. What does Mick do, puts out all his advertising material in bright Green, and what's virtually missing from his material the words Labor Party. Voters were telling us, glad to see Michael Daley has switched to the Greens. The upshot was it was enough to get Mick re-elected with real Green preferences, with a much smaller swing that the state average. Even Premier Keneally suffered a 16% swing in Heffron.

Some sometimes it pays to be "Green", even if you are Labor underneath. Ha ha.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 8 February 2019 9:48:39 AM
Paul in 2004 was well in to my job as union official
Went to meeting that informed us Matt T had been rolled by Lathams Captains pick
He grew on me and was sad to see him go but MT has a seat and is looking good
No certainty in NSW but we have the team needed to win and govern well
Posted by Belly, Friday, 8 February 2019 10:37:09 AM
Belly Quote "Child safety in cars is a worthy subject
It should not be sidetracked by insults and a seeming need to target others without reason"

I was pointing out that I posted virtually the exact statement.

Your sudden case of sanctimonious self-righteousness is possessively embarrassing, if you call out your besty Paul and others you align yourself with then and only then will your accomplish anything.

As stated before you are a hypocrite you in the past constantly insulted other but only stopped because you were loosing every argument you involved yourself in.

Belly can't stand the heat, GW irony.
No certainty in NSW but we have the team needed to win and govern well"

** Mr sanctimonious self-righteousness rules hypocrite go report yourself for OFF TOPIC. **

Please think before applying finger to keyboard so as not prove to everyone how stupid you are.

Just out of interest did you get someone to sit your radio amateurs exam, I have before included Morse Code into around comments you either could not read it or are not very observant.
Posted by Philip S, Friday, 8 February 2019 1:05:34 PM
Child safety in cars is indeed a worthy subject
Seems some just forget the child is in there
Others think it is ok
Prison is needed for a few
Posted by Belly, Friday, 8 February 2019 3:23:05 PM
Belly So the rules should be applied only to others, not Belly and his mates, does anyone need further proof of what an hypocritical idiot you are.

You and your job plus Latham have nothing to do with Child safety in cars.
Posted by Philip S, Friday, 8 February 2019 5:14:38 PM
Paul,

The statesman is a 1999 model, 3.8 litre motor and no gas guzzler, best that I've gotten out of it as 40 mpg but that was special as there was no traffic going the same direction as me and I could let it roll over the crests as slowly as I liked but this was country driving, in the city it'd be a real gas guzzler.

When I first got it I needed a big car, now I keep it because I like it and driving it is effortless, but I'm always mindful that driving a car is more complex, 90% of the time, than flying a light 'plane and requires far more concentration.
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 8 February 2019 9:01:47 PM
Hi Issy,

Thanks for the run down on the 'Statesman'. Child safety in cars was of paramount importance when I was a kid in the bush, around 1960. In Uncle Jimmy's FJ Holden ute, with 3 adults up front and half a dozen kids in the back tearing along the Boomey Lane between Molong and 'The Old Place', Granddads 750 acre sheep property, about 30 miles away. The child restraint was in the form of Uncle Jimmy's gravelly voice yelling "Hang on you bloody kid!". Of course the adults had prepared well for the trip, downing half a dozen bottles of 'Dirty Annie' between them before leaving Molong. That ute could sure kick up some dust.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 9 February 2019 5:48:29 AM
Elon Musk to the rescue of your dog not your child.

PET PROJECT Elon Musk announces pet-saving ‘dog mode’ for Tesla models to protect pooches from overheating in hot cars

Tech billionaire Musk announces the new update will be rolled out to Tesla Model 3 cars next week

It will be able to detect when a pet is locked inside the car - and keep the temperature at a safe level.

There will also likely be a display or some form of communication to inform passers-by that the dog is safe.

The new update comes after the tech guru was inundated with tweets from customers.

In October, one Tesla driver asked Mr Musk: "Can you put a dog mode on the Tesla Model 3.

"Where the music plays and the air conditioning is on, with a display on screen saying 'I’m fine my owner will be right back'?"

The businessman replied: "Yes".

Although it is as yet unclear how the new system will work, it will likely be an extension of Tesla's Cabin Overheat Protection System.

This already prevents temperatures inside the car from reaching unsafe levels when kids or pets are inside.

But the screen in Tesla models is likely to now flash a message to pedestrians informing them that the pet inside is safe.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/8389384/elon-musk-dog-mode-tesla-cars/

** Odd how they are putting something in the car that is already in the car but for the dog.**

Quote "it will likely be an extension of Tesla's Cabin Overheat Protection System This already prevents temperatures inside the car from reaching unsafe levels when kids or pets are inside."
Posted by Philip S, Saturday, 9 February 2019 6:26:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy