The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Literary Prizewinner Not Eligible

Literary Prizewinner Not Eligible

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. All
Saw that story last week where he was nominated in a lot of states etc but was rejected in NSW and others.

The story proceeded with he was nominated for the Victorian award, oddly enough my first thought was he will get it not on merit which may be warranted but purely because Victoria Labor want to stick it to the others.
Just like Obama and the Nobel Peace award, lately there have been cases where committees etc seem to be so out of touch with the average person.

A race to see who can be the most controversial.
Posted by Philip S, Tuesday, 5 February 2019 2:08:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
come on ttbn at least they did not give it to Clemetine Ford.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 5 February 2019 3:09:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Boochani's book was given special exemption by the
Victorian Prize administrators, the Wheeler Centre.
It's Director Michael Williams said the winner of the
Victorian Prize has been decided by the chairs of all
the judging panels. They were unanimous.

Gig Ryan, one of the judges said that while Boochani
was not an Australian citizen he, and his statelessness
are Australia's responsibility. His work was "certainly
the most unusual book in its style, in its peculiar mix
of sociological study and impressive poetry."

Michael Williams denied that the Boochani decision had
politicised the awards.

"Non-fiction books often delve into political and social
issues. Our writers are going to be critics of our society
and they are going to be throwing down challenges and they
are going to be putting forward prescriptions for better
ways of doing things. It doesn't mean the award has been
politicised, it means that through books we can make the
most powerful, most lasting statements on the big issues of
the day.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 5 February 2019 3:14:07 PM
Not that I would know? However as an avid reader myself, somehow the content of any of Mr. Behrouz BOOCHANI'S books, would have very little interest for me. I have a sense it would contain many complaints therein, chief among them, would a significant whinge about Australia's Border Policy, and how hard-hearted we Aussies are?

Of course, I'm only speculating, as I've not read a word of his book. I find it interesting, those on the panel, who had carriage for determining the winner, were from the far, far left. In a State with the most 'leftie' Labour leader, in the C'Wealth. I reckon I'm safe in saying, now this individual has won this literary prize, his next move will be, permanent residency in Australia?
Posted by o sung wu, Tuesday, 5 February 2019 3:56:33 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Prepare for fleets carrying middle eastern writers !
ps.
I wonder if we can get our hands on a book describing why & how these people became refugees ? Perhaps they too did away with national Service in those countries & instead of standing up agains their oppressors, all the fighting age males head for the much despised cultures of the western countries ?
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 5 February 2019 4:31:51 PM
The book is a record of the author's time
on Manus. Laboriously tapped out on a mobile
phone and translated from Farsi. It is a
voice of witness, an act of survival, a first
hard account, a cry of resistance, a vivid
portrait through 5 years of incarceration and
exile.

Here is a review of the book:

http://sydneyreviewofbooks.com/a=place-of-punishment-no-friend-but-the-mountains-by-behrouz-boochani/
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 5 February 2019 5:26:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy