The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > the Mathematics of Australian politics

the Mathematics of Australian politics

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
is mise that would be the result but lets be clear
And end to preferences is what I want
Most do not need to think about who they place second
Some, far to many, do not understand after voting for a small party they in fact, via preference, vote for some one else
I am told time after time this is undemocratic, but why
If the one with the majority of votes wins in both houses surely that is ok
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 5 February 2019 4:22:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Must have missed a post here found the 2016 Senate numbers thought I put them in a post
However we are not going to talk about the subject
But will do so in depth after the election
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 5 February 2019 3:43:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly,

One vote one value is about the most undemocratic system of voting that exists, if you mean first past the post, if you mean the one vote one value system that already exists in Australia then I don't see the point of your argument.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_vote,_one_value

Unless there are runoffs, with one vote one value/fptp, 'till one contestant gets more than 50% and that is expensive and time-consuming.

Australia used first past the post from 1901 'till 1917 when the undemocratic system was thrown out and the much fairer Preferential system was introduced.

Example: A gets 28%, B gets 26%, C gets 24% and D 22%.
A is declared elected, even though 74% of the electors hate his guts and wouldn't put their own water on him if he was on fire.

Is that the sort of democratic vote that you have in mind?
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 6 February 2019 8:52:08 AM
is mise yes ok your figures are right, but, some one first past the post with 23 percent of the vote, is not different than my one vote one value
Or is it
IF we stopped preferencing soon after the very small party,s would no longer exist
As voters understood they had no chance
Labor gains seats, as do LNP from second or third past the post.
Both may still win them when smaller tooth acre party's no longer stand
The senate stands alone, it will always be my view the party controlling the lower house should control that house
If they go over board we can remove them next election
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 6 February 2019 11:23:45 AM
Belly,

So you think that the majority rules is bad; why don't you like democracy?

The Senate is a House of Review, if the party that controls the Reps also controls the Senate, then out goes any meaningful review.

See:http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/RP0708/08rp05#preferential

This explains the whole system very well.
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 6 February 2019 1:44:39 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/she-is-a-federal-senator-but-her-new-books-says-she-remains-a-voiceless-wife-20190205-p50vso.html
is mise mate! how please tell me, do you come to that conclusion
First past the post CAN NOT BE ANY DIFFERENT than one vote one value
The one with the most votes, without preference wins!
Look now at the link, tell me some thing is not dreadfully wrong here.
How did this woman end up in the house of the chooks
Elected [if you insist] by one party, that then merged with another
She betrayed those who voted for her [very few] by joining yet another
Our system stinks
Back on subject
If the one with the most votes wins under first past the post and one vote one value, what is your concern
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 6 February 2019 3:35:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy