The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Left, Right, Center. Missing the mark.

Left, Right, Center. Missing the mark.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Dear AC,

Good to hear, see you do make sense sometimes. Keep it up.

Dear NNS,

Pretty easy to resolve mate. Are you able to, without qualification, categorically state you fully support a government run, universal health scheme covering all Australians so they can access free, quality medical health care?

If so I will stand corrected. If not you are what you are no matter the protestations to the contrary.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Sunday, 6 January 2019 1:33:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
fully support a government run, universal health scheme covering all Australians so they can access free, quality medical health care?
Steele Redux,
Sounds good except I'd have voluntary drug abusers excluded.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 6 January 2019 4:00:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Indy, are you including alcohol and nicotine abusers as well. While we are at it those with self inflicted obesity health related issues. What about those fair skin sun worshippers with melanoma, they only had to slip, slop, slap, how hard is that. Speeding car drivers in auto accidents, people with kids who didn't immunise......the list goes on! What about some clunker who had an accident at home because he didn't follow basic safety..."I told hubby not to climb that old broken ladder, but he insisted." Given all who should not be covered "universal health cover" should extend to about 5% of the population?

Universal means universal, no exceptions!
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 6 January 2019 8:27:01 PM
Universal means universal, no exceptions!
Paul1405,
of course you had to throw that in, it's really the only argument you've got. You're forgetting one vital difference that all those you mentioned already pay taxes on & for the scenario you mentioned. Drug abusers do not !
Unless there is a drug tax I don't know about.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 6 January 2019 9:04:20 PM
Individual,

Why do you assume that drug abusers don't pay taxes?
There are many well-to-do people who use all sorts of
drugs - cocaine, heroin, ice... Many use
(and overdose - like Elvis, Michael Jackson) on
prescription drugs. Not all drug abusers are derelicts.
Many are hard-working, tax-paying citizens.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 6 January 2019 9:22:22 PM
"Universal means universal, no exceptions!"
Yes I'd support this in that manner of NOT denying anyone care in the first instance;

But I've got to be honest and say that for me, I'd want to build safeguards into the system.

'Cloward and Piven'.
I don't want a system that is flawed and can implode if abused.
I want a system that's foolproofed, and fair.

What that means is this:
If a parent with 10 kids who never bothered to get their license wants to call the home doctor 5 times a week and an ambulance once a month, for kids sniffles or other minor issues; then that's a problem to me if the cost of servicing that one parent exceeds what another average worker earns and pays in tax.

I won't allow one person to frivolously waste what someone else worked really hard for; and I also believe that if you did something really dumb that contributed to the injury then maybe there should be some small co-payment.

This isn't about punishing anyone or denying them healthcare, but about personal responsibility and ensuring we have a system that's fair, sustainable and efficient for all citizens.

So yes I support universal healthcare, but with safeguards to prevent abuse of the system.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Sunday, 6 January 2019 9:54:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy