The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Someone in the Labor party playing dirty politcs.

Someone in the Labor party playing dirty politcs.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All
Someone in the Labor party trying defame another Politician.

George Christensen in clear as federal police reject allegations

Rare step by the Australian Federal Police points to their belief that the unfounded referral against Mr Christensen was politically motivated and a waste of taxpayers’ money.

Last week it was reported that a federal MP was travelling and sending money to “seedy” neighbourhoods in South-East Asia. Mr Christensen, who met his fiancee in the Philippines, travels there regularly for philanthropic reasons and is connected to a number of Christians in the region.

A senior Labor MP is believed to have made a referral.

AFP Deputy Commissioner Ramzi Jabbour put in writing that:

• “The AFP completed a thorough assessment in relation to this matter and found there was no evidence or other information to support the allegation or establish criminal conduct on the part of Mr Christensen.

• “The AFP received information alleging that MP George Christensen engaged in conduct overseas potentially in contravention of Australian law. The information was provided to the AFP by a third party with no direct knowledge of the alleged conduct. The assessment was not triggered by a referral from a government agency.

• “AFP inquiries were not inhibited due to an inability to access encrypted messages Mr Christensen sent online.

• “The AFP can confirm that in the wake of media reports relating to encrypted messages, Mr Christensen has offered his mobile device to the AFP for examination and that offer has been declined.”

A furious Mr Christensen, whose marginal seat is being eyed by Labor, said the allegations were a new low in politics.

“The AFP have stated that the allegation was made by an individual who had no knowledge of the conduct they were alleging. It is now widely known this individual was a Labor MP,’’ he said.

“This debunks claims that government agencies such as AUSTRAC and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade had referred allegations to the AFP months before a Labor MP referred their allegations. There was only ever one referral and that was made by a Labor MP.
Posted by Philip S, Thursday, 27 December 2018 6:40:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Last week it was reported that a federal MP was travelling and sending money to “seedy” neighbourhoods in South-East Asia. Mr Christensen, who met his fiancee in the Philippines, travels there regularly for philanthropic reasons and is connected to a number of Christians in the region."

- philanthropic reasons -

please explain, this potentially smells a bit off

Can't he find an Aussie cause worth giving a crap about?
Or does he only put his money in places other than where his mouth is?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Friday, 28 December 2018 9:26:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
OK it may even be true
It also may not be
A handful of voters, even within this mans party, seem to like or trust him
He will suffer a big shift in the election
Not enough to remove him maybe
But he is not even close to a true Liberal
I tend to think he has questions to answer still
Posted by Belly, Friday, 28 December 2018 11:21:41 AM
"Mr Christensen insisted he had travelled to the Philippines to visit his fiancee and her family several times since 2017 and had sent her money, while also helping to raise funds for a charity providing disabled children with wheelchairs."

Helping disabled kids get wheelchairs. What a swine, eh Armchair?

I trust you're feeling suitably embarrassed.
Posted by mhaze, Friday, 28 December 2018 11:31:38 AM
Armchair Critic - I would have expected better from you, so called Mr truth.

Quote "Can't he find an Aussie cause worth giving a crap about?" I don't hear you saying the same about the Federal Government when they give away hundreds of millions of dollars to overseas countries, why not give it here in Australia or for that matter other individuals who do the same.

Quote "travels there regularly for philanthropic reasons and is connected to a number of Christians in the region."

Do you have evidence that the AFP don't have maybe you should share it with them, GEE you have nothing except your new view on life ** people are guilty until proven innocent **

Belly MSM are great at front page big font news stories BUT page 20 very fine print retractions.

Quote "OK it may even be true - It also may not be"

So are you calling the AFP liars?

Quote "I tend to think he has questions to answer still"

Okay mister backseat lawyer what questions?
Posted by Philip S, Friday, 28 December 2018 11:33:05 AM
From George Christensen.
This week my lawyers have written to and received a response from the Australian Federal Police (AFP) in relation to recent false allegations in the media.

In their letter, which I have released in full to the Courier Mail, the AFP make it clear that the allegation which triggered an automatic assessment by the AFP (as all allegations do) was made by an individual and not a government agency as has been claimed by certain media outlets. The AFP have stated that the allegation was made by an individual who had no knowledge of the conduct they were alleging. It is now widely known this individual was a Labor MP.

This debunks claims that government agencies such as AUSTRAC and DFAT had referred allegations to the AFP months before a Labor MP referred their allegations. There was only ever one referral and that was made by a Labor MP.

More importantly, the AFP have categorically denied they had any concern over so-called encrypted messages on my mobile phone or any other electronic device. The AFP also confirm that, in the wake of media reports, I have offered them my mobile phone to inspect and they have declined the offer because they have no concerns with it or any messages on it.

These two fake allegations were passed off as fact in the media in articles published in print and online which have named me. Journalists also named me in connection with these fake allegations and claimed they were fact on Twitter.

I have clear legal advice that I have been defamed and have issued instructions to my solicitors to seek redress for these defamatory claims.

Now that the facts are clear, I call on all media outlets who have published these claims to immediately retract them and to apologise publicly for publishing fake allegations.

Finally, I repeat that the AFP have advised in their letter that the allegations made against me were not supported by any information or evidence, and that I have not committed any criminal conduct. In all fairness, this must now end this matter.
Posted by Philip S, Friday, 28 December 2018 11:37:33 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy