The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is Education way overrated in today's society?

Is Education way overrated in today's society?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
I'd really like a straight answer on this one, rather than your usual question avoiding rhetoric.
toni lavis,
Question avoiding rhetoric ?
That's a bit rich from someone who doesn't even know the meaning of the term judging by your rhetoric.
Anyhow, to your first ever sensible question;
can we get a break-down of which qualifications qualify you as 'a scholarly professional' and which only qualify you to be a 'pseudo academic intellectual'?

The first are those who make useful & valuable contributions to society & get paid for their meaningful work.
The second are those whose only expertise is self-preservation by riding on the back of education wasted on them.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 26 December 2018 6:56:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
//"30-ish isn't that many"... try double that for fields like Medicine and Law.//

60 hours a week for Law?

XD

Clearly you haven't met many Law students... a bunch of slackers, except for those who combine it with a Science degree, and there are precious few of them.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Wednesday, 26 December 2018 7:07:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You've definitely got no idea about university education it seems, despite being something you dearly support.
Posted by esperence, Wednesday, 26 December 2018 7:12:32 PM
//You've definitely got no idea about university education it seems//

If you say so. Apparently you already know it all, so why bother listening to anybody else? Rather seems to defeat the point of a discussion to me, but what the hey.

I should point out that I'm biased... I have my fantasy tattoos on the dexter half, and my science tattoos on the sinister half, closer to the heart. And yes, I'm aware that scientifically, the heart is just an efficient pump and not the seat of emotion.

But still.... isn't Law just Arts with a silly hat on? I mean, they don't actually have to learn any more maths or anything, do they?
Posted by Toni Lavis, Wednesday, 26 December 2018 7:16:49 PM
"But still.... isn't Law just Arts with a silly hat on? I mean, they don't actually have to learn any more maths or anything, do they?"

Other than the workload and standing, all Uni degrees are the same.

And I would trust a skilled technician more than a skilled engineer, despite them doing less math training.
Posted by esperence, Wednesday, 26 December 2018 7:28:06 PM
//Other than the workload and standing, all Uni degrees are the same. //

'Workload' being the key term in that sentence.

//And I would trust a skilled technician more than a skilled engineer, despite them doing less math training.//

I'd hire the right man for the job. My father is a retired electrical engineer, and I'd trust him to wire up my house, despite not being an electrical tradesman, because he did it for the house I grew up in with no faults and no shocks and he still has all his wits. But I wouldn't trust him with the plumbing... and I wouldn't trust a plumber, even though they are probably the most skilled of all technicians, to design massive civil works. And I wouldn't trust a civil engineer, skilled as they may be, to do my wiring.

Right man for the right job... but let's not pretend that Law graduates are somehow better, or smarter, than any other Tom, Dick or Harry. I had a high enough UAI to study Law, but I'd already done Legal Studies at high school and it was really... f&^king.... boring. Lawyers are the people who don't find it really f%^king boring; there is no guarantee that they'll be especially clever. All you can guarantee is that they'll be trained in Law. Of course, if you find yourself in need of a lawyer, you'll be better served by a moron trained well in the Law than a genius who can only do Science!

I did Science! instead, because, well... Science! Jesus, isn't that reason enough alone?
Posted by Toni Lavis, Wednesday, 26 December 2018 7:51:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All