The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The age of criminal responsibility

The age of criminal responsibility

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
In the news recently I heard the current age for criminal responsibility could be moved to 16 years of age.

Tell me that is not a free get out of prison card for the young. Right now kids openly use their age to say to the police, you can not touch me

Who comes up with these ideas?
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 6 December 2018 6:29:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry that storey is on nine news web page
I am not calling for boot camps or harsh punishment
But surely walk out of court every time every crime is insane
Education should be the whole reason we detain criminal kids not to punish them
We need not do every thing as it always has been done
A Better way maybe setting up a group of ordinary people to monitor those detained.
And to stop leaders within detention leading by poor examples they should be separated.
Crimes .wrong behaviors committed in the detention centers should see time, even if it is only another month imposed
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 6 December 2018 10:18:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Too many kids stealing the car keys and putting other peoples lives in danger, Belly.
You can't educate them if they don't give a crap in the first place.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 6 December 2018 12:24:13 PM
//In the news recently I heard the current age for criminal responsibility could be moved to 16 years of age.//

Yeah, that seems unlikely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_criminal_responsibility_in_Australia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_of_infancy
Posted by Toni Lavis, Thursday, 6 December 2018 12:54:07 PM
As a matter of interest, when I joined the job, the age for criminal capacity was 7 years, raised by statute to 8 years. Thereafter, the age of criminal capacity has slowly increased, in fact when I retired, it had been increased to 10 years.

The age of criminal capacity has been examined, and discussed ad nauseam, in the UK as a consequence of the murder and torture of five year old James BOLGAR. One of the offenders was aged 8 or 9, whereas the other was 10 years. The DCI who was OIC of the matter, declared on TV, after nearly 40 years of experience, investigating homicides, in his opinion, the younger of the two offenders, was the manifestation of sheer evil. Capable of committing any act of arrant violence.
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 6 December 2018 1:55:57 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Belly,

I read on the web that anyone 13 years old and above
can be tried as an adult if they have a record of
previously breaking the law or commit a serious
crime and that minors who are 15 or 16 are automatically
tried as adults for certain offences including murder,
aggravated criminal and sexual assault and armed robbery
with a firearm.

Whether that applies in Australia I'm not sure. But it
makes sense that it should. I think that all these
factors need to be taken into account when sentencing
someone.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 6 December 2018 2:31:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy