The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Justice delayed

Justice delayed

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
John Jarrett (the actor) I's reportedly going to stand trial for an alleged 1976 rape. The alleged rare was reported to police in December 2017. I've not seen any mention of earlier attempts to report it to police. I have no view regarding guilt or innocence of Jarrett, no particular interest in him other than as a name and face I'm slightly familiar with.

I do have big concerns with the kind of "justice" which leaves someone having to defend themself against charges for something alleged to have happened more than 40 years earlier. There are times when delays make some sense, the alleged perpetrator not being able to be located being the most obvious.

I've also got some sympathy for the then child victims of institutional abuse and the reasons why so often those compliments to have taken a long time to be raised although I think we are at or past the point where we should be putting some time limits on the reporting of historical offences. What I've read of the allegation against Jarrett don't appear to have any good reason to justify the delay which should reasonably override the trauma to him of the process of innocent. I gather that it's hard to get a conviction after such A length of time but it's also hard to defend yourself. How did a particular conversation go one Saturday night back in September of 1979? Who else was there who might be able to act as a witness? Innocent or not the process of being charged and brought to trial will have a toll. In an era when some powerful voices and openly proclaim the need to believe the victim and equate accusing with being a victim some will consider Jarrett guilty regardless of the outcome of the trail. Something really wrong here with this version of justice.
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 29 November 2018 12:01:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
with massive amounts of kids being abused today in the NT, WA and other Indigeneous communities one really wonders how political the whole Royal Commission was/is. Cases from 50 years ago taking precedence over protecting kids. KIds are being abused under our noses but identity politics wins the day.
Posted by runner, Friday, 30 November 2018 10:05:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with everything you say. However, it has all been said before, and the #metoo thing is still running out of control. What is happening is not a "version" of justice; it is not justice at all. A very nasty, sick bunch of females have it in for men. The real victims of these bitches are women themselves, including the majority of nice, decent and beautiful creatures so necessary to us blokes, who, thanks to the bitches, must be treated with suspicion if they they come within coo-ee of us. What used to be normal interaction has been poisoned. I very pleased to be an old bugger married to a good woman for fifty years. A feel really sorry for young people of both sexes and what a relatively few horrible, psyco bitches have done to society.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 30 November 2018 10:11:01 AM
I agree with everything you say. However, it has all been said before, and the #metoo thing is still running out of control. What is happening is not a "version" of justice; it is not justice at all. A very nasty, sick bunch of females have it in for men. The real victims of these bitches are women themselves, including the majority of nice, decent and beautiful creatures so necessary to us blokes, who, thanks to the bitches, must be treated with suspicion if they they come within coo-ee of us. What used to be normal interaction has been poisoned. I very pleased to be an old bugger married to a good woman for fifty years. A feel really sorry for young people of both sexes and what a relatively few horrible, psycho bitches have done to society.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 30 November 2018 10:12:30 AM
I'm still waiting for a broke homeless bloke to be acused of some harrassment by some female.
Posted by individual, Friday, 30 November 2018 10:24:26 AM
have those lying feminist who accused Kavanaugh been put in prison yet? Oh they will be good candidates to run for the Democrats next election. Nothing to see!
Posted by runner, Friday, 30 November 2018 10:41:12 AM
Yes surely 17 years is it? is too long ago , why?
How will they get enough evidence, was there a crowd watching
The me too movement was needed
But some excesses are noted
Even in the 60,s and 70,s some claims turned out to be wrong balance needed
Posted by Belly, Friday, 30 November 2018 10:54:36 AM
>have those lying feminist who accused Kavanaugh been put in prison yet?
No, runner, because it hasn't been proven beyond reasonable doubt that they were lying.
The presumption of innocence works both ways. Do you have a problem with that?
Posted by Aidan, Friday, 30 November 2018 1:11:23 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We shall have to wait and see as more information
comes out in this case. However, I also have a
problem with some of the aspects of the case.

We are told that the woman claims the rape took
place in September 1976 - when she was 18 and
Jarratt was twenty three.

It happened while she
was living with Jarratt and his then wife in a
house in Randwick while Jarratt's wife slept.
However the young girl continued to live in
the house after the alleged rape, and even went
to Queensland with Jarratt and his wife.
Apparently Jarratt got the young girl a role in
a film he was working in, as an extra.
Things don't quite add up.

Interesting to see what happens next.
Is this a publicity stunt - to get
Jarratt's name into the media?

Just a thought.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 30 November 2018 2:39:33 PM
It truly, would be good if we could hear the evidence runner has to prove that woman lied
It is however good to know the world rejects such anti woman junk comment
As we get nearer Trumps unmasking as the thief and fraud he is, it will be worth noting the reaction of his supporters
Today,s news, from within his own camp, that he intended to gift Putin a multi million dollar pent house is not the finish
Posted by Belly, Friday, 30 November 2018 3:53:12 PM
Aidan said "No, runner, because it hasn't been proven beyond reasonable doubt that they were lying."

Well one of them actually admitted to lying. But all those who engage in right-think have long since forgotten that.
Posted by mhaze, Saturday, 1 December 2018 9:43:08 AM
RObert,
I agree with you,and runner too, men and their careers are particularly vulnerable to allegations of sexual misconduct. A lifetimes work can be ruined by a vindictive allegation by a jealous woman years after a date.
I dont know how one defends himself from this as the woman is the one believed by many. At least the woman making the allegations should be named and not hide behind some stupid law.

In the case mentioned, there were a number of young people living in the same house and it is likely that there was some sexual activity within the group. But who could accurately recall who and in what circumstances it occured 40 years later.

Yes we need to concentrate on the kids being abused today and take far more seriously the occurance of underage marriage and FGM that happens now.
Posted by HenryL, Saturday, 1 December 2018 10:45:23 AM
God I am sick of these women who suddenly realise, or dream they were raped decades ago.

If they didn't report it as soon as they could stand after the event, it didn't happen.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 1 December 2018 11:03:53 AM
Hasbeen me too, hard to think she waited this long and even harder to see how a conviction can come out of this
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 1 December 2018 11:22:19 AM
runner and his pathetic apologetic approach to religious paedophiles. Trying to insist their crime is lessened by age over time, and the more important relevance of today's equally disgusting unrelated grubs. Somehow this should diminish the culpability of yesterdays batch of religious sicko's, as runner would have it, let bygones be bygones. That might be the message from the pulpit in your church runner, but not in mine. They should get what they deserve.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 1 December 2018 11:48:48 AM
Paul 1405 your post screams a truth, many runners knew, at the time these acts took place
But said nothing
Because the priest was Gods servant, ignoring the crime by that action without doubt
My time as a believer, a Christian, saw me worship a far better God
If that God exists he would have a special place in hell for the perpetrators and those who hide or make excuses for them
Face a truth, not every poster makes sense
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 1 December 2018 3:14:55 PM
Looks like some police are out of control, to think they could have got away with this.

Gangland lawyer was a police supergrass who informed on her own CLIENTS - in a scandal that could see more than 30 drug dealers, bikies and mafia criminals freed from prison

A gangland lawyer fed up with police's inability to catch crooks turned rogue and went about destroying criminal organisations from the inside.

The decision by the lawyer, who can only be referred to as Informer 3838, saw some of Victoria's biggest villains wind up in jail.

It could also now see dozens of bikies and mobsters released from prison.

The bombshell revelations can finally be revealed after years of court-imposed gag orders protecting the lawyer were lifted.

The lawyer, who acted for gangsters including dead crime boss Carl Williams and Tony Mokbel, began working for police in mid-2003 when she met approximately six times with a Detective Sergeant of the Purana Taskforce, which was investigating Melbourne gangland crime.

It is understood hundreds of notifications are being sent by the Director of Public Prosecutions to criminals who were represented by or had dealings with the lawyer.

The revelations could have huge implications over the convictions of everyone from Mokbel to Mafia head Pat Barbaro.

Barbaro was pinged in the infamous $440 million ‘Tomato Tins’ drug sting in 2007 which saw 32 Mafia figures jailed.

It is a case the gangland lawyer was keen for the gangsters to remain in the dark about her role in their convictions.

The Andrews Government is understood to be considering debating whether a Royal Commission should be called.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6452835/More-30-bikies-mafia-gangsters-jailed-440-million-bust-FREED.html
Posted by Philip S, Monday, 3 December 2018 11:44:24 AM
Philip S a good cop is worth far more than any community can pay them
Our difficulty is finding a way to tell the good from the bad, often very bad
History shouts at us far too many sold any integrity they had very soon after entering the job
Posted by Belly, Monday, 3 December 2018 11:49:28 AM
Hasbeen & Belly This story supports your argument that woman are capable of lies when it suits them, I am not saying they all do it.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/womans-cruel-plan-to-frame-husband/news-story/02ef5d3e70e8ba656af89b36483d89df

Woman’s cruel plan to frame husband

A Sydney man is outraged after his wife was caught red-handed trying to frame him by blatantly faking an act of domestic violence.

Eight months into their happy marriage, Faisal began to doubt the motivations of his Moroccan wife Asmae and started to realise she mightn’t be there for love.

Faisal, who had met his wife on a Muslim dating site, turned to a lawyer and emailed a visa migration professional.

The email was discovered by his wife Asmae and fearing the divorce could get her kicked out of Australia, she concocted a cruel plan.

Speaking to A Current Affair, Faisal said he arrived home one April night to find their apartment completely trashed.

Faisal said Asmae was waiting for him, telling her husband, “You think you are smart about me and you’re talking to lawyers. Now see what I do to you.”

Asmae then fled the apartment, running into their building’s lift and waiting for the doors to close before the CCTV caught her beating herself up.

The lift cameras caught Asmae repeatedly punching her own face before she flees the building and calls the police.

Hours later, Faisal was arrested by police and charged with assault.

More than $20,000 in lawyers fees later and after trawling through hundreds of hours of CCTV, Faisal finally had the evidence he needed to free himself of his wife.

“I didn’t think she would go to that extent and go to the police after everything I did for her. and forget everything and just ruin my life,” he told A Current Affair.

Asmae has now fled Sydney and is living somewhere in Australia. Faisal is calling on the government to send his estranged wife back to Morocco.
Posted by Philip S, Tuesday, 4 December 2018 12:12:14 PM
It happens, always has seen much the same a few times
That truth in no way can undermine the truth, men are far more likely to bash women
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 4 December 2018 2:50:59 PM
Belly

But that poor guy it cost him $20,000 plus more. Police should have charged her she should be in jail then deported.

Quote "men are far more likely to bash women"

I would agree with what you said.

If they went to police straight away it can in most case be a simple DNA test to see if he actually did it.

If you hit someone bare handed it will transfer your DNA to the area of the wound on the other person.
Posted by Philip S, Tuesday, 4 December 2018 5:13:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy