The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > If it can happen in the Uk it can happen here.

If it can happen in the Uk it can happen here.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
At the moment the "My Health Record" database is in Australia probably held by a Government department.

The same possibly was done with the NHS database in the UK when it started.

An Australian Government in the future could do exactly the same as the UK is doing, who would trust Google with all their health records and history?

Here is a little on what has happened with that database and what is now going to happen in the future.

Google has announced it will integrate a UK-based health company into its main organisation, igniting concerns that the tech giant will misuse NHS patient data that the health company had been given access to. Having promised it would never do this on ethical grounds, Google has just done the opposite.

It was only in July last year that data belonging to 1.6 million patients was illegally shared with Google after an NHS trust tested a medical app with the tech giant. The UK’s data protection watchdog found that a partnership between DeepMind and the NHS had violated privacy laws, not that it did anything to deter Google.

DeepMind, a company that develops artificial intelligence (AI), was purchased by Google in 2014 and will merge its health division with Google Health, a new venture focused on consolidating the tech giant’s health-related projects.

DeepMind released a statement pledging to “do better” and established an independent review panel. Now, however, the absorption of DeepMind into Google has done away with that review panel and given Google direct control of patient data. Regardless, the tech giant now holds reams of patient data with no oversight.

A spokesman for the Information Commission (ICO) told TechCrunch on Wednesday that the watchdog was “monitoring” the developments involving DeepMind’s absorption into Google, adding that its investigation from last year underscored the importance of “ensuring the original purpose for processing personal data.”

The restructuring appears to completely violate a pledge DeepMind made when it started working with the NHS. At the time, the company vowed that “data will never be connected to Google accounts or services.”

Story continues.

http://truepublica.org.uk/united-kingdom/google-absorbs-subsidiary-with-access-to-nhs-patient-data/
Posted by Philip S, Friday, 16 November 2018 1:24:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I heard last night on ABC Radio (yes, ABC) that the 'practice run' that has been operating with guinea pigs in Australia for some time, has been breached several times by unauthorised people and organisations.

We don't need to follow the UK. It's already happened. I opted out early, but I'm starting to wonder if my request to do so has actually been honoured. It's hard to trust anything to do with government these days.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 16 November 2018 9:08:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I and my wife opted out, there are benefits to the scheme, however, we think that the downside outweighs the upside and my wife is a health professional (as they call senior nurses [formerly Sisters] these days).
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 16 November 2018 9:34:51 AM
Putin is watching you.
Posted by nicknamenick, Friday, 16 November 2018 9:59:16 AM
Not too concerned in truth my privacy, in most cases is not a prime need for me, health?
If they want to read it it will take some time, and not sure my health is effected by them knowing about it
Posted by Belly, Friday, 16 November 2018 11:36:18 AM
If you have a heart condition where every second
counts to save your life - having the details
of your health on a data base that professionals
can access could save your life. I'm all for it.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 16 November 2018 12:11:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy