The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Latham's Arm chair

Latham's Arm chair

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
that great man Tony Windsor?
Belly,
I tend to think that in any other Nation that bloke would have been done away with by now.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 11 November 2018 8:36:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Indy you took a bait, but in truth the man was and is still, well loved in the New England
Yes he both left the National Party, others have
And supported Labor, others did
My question to yet another shallow post from you is this
Why do you hate him
What has he done, details please, know however i have great respect for the man.
No not because he supported Labor but because he is an honest and bright man
Posted by Belly, Monday, 12 November 2018 4:10:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Belly,

We often discuss this matter of third parties and minorities, and the power they wield through their position of veto in the Senate. Your solution to this thorny annoyance to government is to simply call for the abolishment of the Senate, and therefore the pesky people will be gone. The problem as I see it does not lie with the minorities, rather the problem is the lack of support the big two parties procure at the ballot box. Gone are the heady days (early 1950's) when between them the major parties were endorsed by 95% of the electorate, and rightfully one or the other could claim a majority mandate. The rub is, today the two major parties are battling to obtain the support of 65% of voters and neither is given a clear mandate to govern. What does happen is the skewed electoral system gives one or the other with its 30-35% of support a slim majority, or a slight minority in the lower house. The solution is not to abolish the Senate, and thus deny a large chunk of the electorate any representation in parliament, but rather that the two major parties do more to increase their voter appeal through good policy and clear direction. In other words get their act together!
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 12 November 2018 4:47:47 AM
Paul we both have self interest in this debate
Yes voters have quite frankly had a gutful
And only today's politicians are to blame
Micro party,s have been a joke, one nation has, like the old Palmer united party, be the one you vote for, when you want the victor to leave your party/
Some reform has taken place, much more needs to be done, if my wish, get rid of them all, is not to be?
Cut their numbers in half, double the vote needed to be elected, three year terms, in lock step always, with the lower house
Posted by Belly, Monday, 12 November 2018 12:31:50 PM
Never forget that Latham was elected leader of the Labor party.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 13 November 2018 11:25:18 AM
Shadow Minister do you think we could?
Before he entered parliament his home page told a far different story
His maiden spech too claimed he was some thing he never was, or was he?
Following his bus tours he spoke like he as lost,read to your children seemed about it.
Long before election day, to me at least, it was clear he had nothing
Maybe he had a small explosion in his head, but right now he is so bad, so lost, only one notion would have him.
If elected it will be interesting to see what party he joins after doing the one notion thing, betraying those who voted for him and switching camps
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 13 November 2018 2:54:22 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy