The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Practical Matters Trump Virtue Signalling

Practical Matters Trump Virtue Signalling

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Dear Aidan,

Thank You for your further explanations of the
issues and the stats.

Much appreciated.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 27 October 2018 6:01:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Foxy,

It is certainly welcome having your voice continue on the forum. I have had the gloves on for a while now and I'm not sure I will know when to take them off. It remains quite combative in many forums, in our politics, and on social media. Hopefully this too will pass as they say. But it is more important than ever that people stand up for decency, compassion and justice.

From Orwell's 1945 essay on Nationalism;

“Indifference to Reality. All nationalists have the power of not seeing resemblances between similar sets of facts. A British Tory will defend self-determination in Europe and oppose it in India with no feeling of inconsistency. Actions are held to be good or bad, not on their own merits, but according to who does them, and there is almost no kind of outrage – torture, the use of hostages, forced labour, mass deportations, imprisonment without trial, forgery, assassination, the bombing of civilians – which does not change its moral colour when it is committed by ‘our’ side.”

Nationalist forces are growing. They have not gone away with the unseating of the likes of Abbott and the failure of Dutton. Countering these tides, where ever we may encounter them, will need all hands on deck.

That's my pep talk for the day.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Saturday, 27 October 2018 6:13:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Steele,

You're so good for the soul and the heart.

Thank You.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 27 October 2018 6:20:07 PM
Foxy I missed your post of the 26Th , but must answer it.

The Stern Report has been proven a dozen times to be one of the greatest piles of garbage ever dumped on Oz. For you to bring it up as proof of the global warming scam, shows beyond any doubt that there is no credible proof, or even reasonable evidence that CO2 is responsible for anything but well fed flora.

If that is the best a trained researcher can come up with, there is not a damn thing to incriminate that poor maligned molecule CO2.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 29 October 2018 11:32:41 AM
Okay, if climate change is occurring, if it's due to more CO2 in the atmosphere and oceans rather than the conversion of massive amounts of energy sources into heat (mainly in the cities), then one presumes that average temperature and sea levels should be rising.

How to measure sea-level rise ? It's not as simple as some think: tectonic movements and tilting of plates, say, in the Bangla Desh/Bengal area give the impression that arts in Bangla Desh are being flooded because of sea-level rise; damming of rivers such as the Nile so that silt can't reach the river deltas and the sea moves in gives the same impression; on the other hand. that slow 'bounce-back' of areas formerly under ice caps during the last Ice Age. But there must be geologically stable coast-lines which, in 'normal' circumstances neither rise nor fall ?

Sydney Harbour, maybe ? The US eastern coast-line ? West Africa ? Brazil ? Libya ? Have sea-levels risen in those places, and by similar amounts ? Here in SA, there doesn't seem to have been any notable sea-level rise - the movement of beach sand with the dominant currents, yes, so programs to replace sand loss in some areas like West Beach (and build-up in others such as Largs-Taperoo, i.e. where the sand has gone to).

Okay, maybe sea-level rise is too complicated. Temperature rise ? It will be 36-27 in Adelaide this week: I'm sure someone will go on about how it's never, ever, ever been hotter in early November. Not so: I recall picking up a hay cut in 1976 in late October when the temperature was over the century. Not that that is any firm guide one way or the other. But have, say, decadal temperatures risen since the 1880s or 1920s and by how much ? I don't know, but someone on this thread probably does.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Monday, 29 October 2018 2:10:35 PM
They measure with satellites, Joe.
Posted by Aidan, Monday, 29 October 2018 3:49:14 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy