The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should the Sydney Opera House be Used as a Billboard

Should the Sydney Opera House be Used as a Billboard

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 15
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. All
Generally I'm against an Australian icon being used in such ways but given the betrayal of the Australian people by "the Performing Arts community" in search of world recognition I'm inclined to undermine their community in turn. Like the ABC the Opera House needs a broom.
Posted by Canem Malum, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 5:36:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Simple fact money talks, everything has a price.

The Opera house is very subsidized the average Australian does not care about opera.
Posted by Philip S, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 5:36:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
//However, the bulk of the entertainment the Opera House promotes seems to be beyond the means and tastes of the average person.

Even with large taxpayer subsidies being paid to Australian opera and the performing arts, tickets to most of the events at the Sydney Opera House seem beyond the means of most Australians.

Tickets to Spartacus, assuming the average Australian likes ballet, start at about $70. Add to this, travel, meals, drinks and parking, and the standard night out is well over $100 each.//

I disagree. Tickets to classical concerts at the Opera House can be far less expensive to tickets for other concerts, and they don't seem to attract scalpers. If you attend one of their matinee concerts, of which there are plenty, and catch the train into the city (from up Newcastle way, in my case), enjoy a pleasant stroll via the Botanic Gardens and take a packed lunch, it's really not that expensive. I would recommend it highly to anybody, unless you don't like classical music.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 5:52:39 PM
//The Opera house is very subsidized the average Australian does not care about opera.//

I care about opera: I can't bloody stand it. A truly ridiculous artform, even worse than musicals.

But despite the misleading name, the Opera House does more than opera. As CM pointed out, they also do ballet. But I'm not a fan of ballet either, just the music. The I think that when it comes to ballet and opera, all the song and dance is a distraction from the nice tunes. And they are very nice tunes. If you don't dig Mozart, we can never be friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLFfSDEA26o
Posted by Toni Lavis, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 6:01:29 PM
Dear Calum Malum,

Firstly the opinion piece posted by the ABC was from this bloke;

“Dr Rohan Miller is a senior lecturer at The University of Sydney Business School. He has worked in and consulted to the advertising and gambling industries and published research related to those industries. He has also published about tourism marketing.”

What else do you think he would say?

Opera is naturally a significant part of the site's usage after all it is the Opera House, but certainly not the bulk of patronage.

Opera Australia costs us around $25 million a year in subsidies. Back in 2013 Deloittes found it contributed over $775 million to the economy.

I'm sure if you had originally been in charge it would not have been built. But Australians love it and want it respected.

The carpetbaggers and those who hold economic imperatives above all other considerations would love to see it used and abused for their own enjoyment and wealth creation. Sadly they now have the upper hand and we will all be poorer for it.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 6:04:15 PM
SteeleRedux,
"Of course the Sydney Opera House should not be used as a commercial billboard. It is world heritage listed which means it is placed alongside the Taj Mahal and the ancient Pyramids of Egypt. Would either of these sites be deemed right for having advertising splashed over them?"

Splashed, no. But shone is a different matter - didn't they illuminate one of the pyramids blue when they started selling Pepsi in blue cans?

IMO it's quite sensible to allow projection on the Opera House to be used to promote other events in NSW. But considering the strength of community opposition to it, maybe horse racing should be excluded in future?
Posted by Aidan, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 6:08:06 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 15
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. All