The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should the Sydney Opera House be Used as a Billboard

Should the Sydney Opera House be Used as a Billboard

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. All
Controversy rages over the Government's plans to use the Opera House as a huge billboard.

There are already 260,000 signatures on a petition opposing the idea and more signing.

What say ye all?
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 1:19:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That was quick, thanks.
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 1:50:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No. It should not.

It's an Opera House, not a billboard.

Horse racing can be advertised at Randwick or like
Maccas - on billboards by the side of the road.

The Opera House is an architectural icon
and has been heritage listed. It deserves to be respected.
We're no longer a cultural backwater. We no longer have to
go overseas for the best in the arts. The architectural
design of the opera house made world headlines and despite
its cost and complications in building it has become one of the
foremost cultural attractions of Australia.

It deserves to be respected.

Don't get me started on Alan Jones...
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 2:32:21 PM
Foxy,

"Don't get me started on Alan Jones.."

C'mon he's not all bad, 99% perhaps but not all.
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 2:47:55 PM
Is Mise,

I'm not saying that he's all bad (although 99.9% is pretty
close). However his employers need to rope him in a bit.
His tirade against the manager of the Opera House was a
shocker - and even threatening her with sacking. I mean
who the hell does he think he is? His employers deserve
to again be sued - big time.That man is a pig - and needs to
go. Seriously! He's a grub - and a pig!
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 2:52:30 PM
Why not. It's not going to to fall down because of a few lights shining on it. I listened to some high poobah from some group that is against everything carrying on as though the building was going to turned into a brothel. Lights were OK, but only those he approved of. 260,000 signatures. Big deal. The petition was probably an online job that didn't require much effort. The fuss is childish.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 3:58:41 PM
A bit of a yawn.Certainly a 1st world problem
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 4:20:30 PM
More concerned about Jones, he is beneath contempt for his insulting slur on the woman.
It truth nothing is sacred when gambling is concerned money buy influence
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 4:36:37 PM
Hi Is Mise,

Wonders will never cease, this might be the second thing I have agreed with you on in the space of a week.

Of course the Sydney Opera House should not be used as a commercial billboard. It is world heritage listed which means it is placed alongside the Taj Mahal and the ancient Pyramids of Egypt. Would either of these sites be deemed right for having advertising splashed over them?

What it really highlights is how much weight the corporate world has within our society and culture now. The fact that a corporate mouthpiece like Jones can so quickly reverse a decision made by the organisation charged with looking after one of our most significant sites is telling.

We haven't moved that far past the Alan Bonds and Christopher Skases of this world have we.

The Everest is a race for the rich and powerful and boasts that mounting yard access "is be the exclusive domain of the elite players of Australian and international racing."

The Melbourne Cup whose starting entry fee is $600 per horse. "Around 300 to 400 horses are nominated each year, but the final field is limited to 24 starters. Following the allocation of weights, the owner of each horse must on four occasions before the race in November, declare the horse as an acceptor and pay a fee. First acceptance is $960, second acceptance is $1,450 and third acceptance is $2,420. The final acceptance fee, on the Saturday prior to the race, is $45,375."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Cup

The Everest on the other hand only gives slots to those who can stump up $600,000 and then those slots can be traded, bought and sold at will.

This really is the playground of international sheikhs and high flying corporates who have very little to do with ordinary Australians.

The Opera House is appreciated and loved by virtually all of us and it should remain ours.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 4:45:18 PM
The purpose of billboards is to attract peoples attention and as over 150,000 cars cross the bridge each day, there may be one or more drivers distracted by the add on the Opera House.

Someone may die.
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 4:47:26 PM
No.

That's what billboards are for.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 5:30:38 PM
See the article below ironically from the ABC (who should also be defunded for the same reasons of loss of touch with the Australian people)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-08/opera-house-wasnt-meant-to-be-an-ivory-tower/10352042

However, the bulk of the entertainment the Opera House promotes seems to be beyond the means and tastes of the average person.

Even with large taxpayer subsidies being paid to Australian opera and the performing arts, tickets to most of the events at the Sydney Opera House seem beyond the means of most Australians.

Tickets to Spartacus, assuming the average Australian likes ballet, start at about $70. Add to this, travel, meals, drinks and parking, and the standard night out is well over $100 each.

Given the tyranny of distance and the upmarket commercial productions at the Opera House relative to the greater Sydney and Australian market, it is ponderous just how often the average Sydneysider will attend a performance at the Opera House.
Posted by Canem Malum, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 5:30:39 PM
Generally I'm against an Australian icon being used in such ways but given the betrayal of the Australian people by "the Performing Arts community" in search of world recognition I'm inclined to undermine their community in turn. Like the ABC the Opera House needs a broom.
Posted by Canem Malum, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 5:36:18 PM
Simple fact money talks, everything has a price.

The Opera house is very subsidized the average Australian does not care about opera.
Posted by Philip S, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 5:36:19 PM
//However, the bulk of the entertainment the Opera House promotes seems to be beyond the means and tastes of the average person.

Even with large taxpayer subsidies being paid to Australian opera and the performing arts, tickets to most of the events at the Sydney Opera House seem beyond the means of most Australians.

Tickets to Spartacus, assuming the average Australian likes ballet, start at about $70. Add to this, travel, meals, drinks and parking, and the standard night out is well over $100 each.//

I disagree. Tickets to classical concerts at the Opera House can be far less expensive to tickets for other concerts, and they don't seem to attract scalpers. If you attend one of their matinee concerts, of which there are plenty, and catch the train into the city (from up Newcastle way, in my case), enjoy a pleasant stroll via the Botanic Gardens and take a packed lunch, it's really not that expensive. I would recommend it highly to anybody, unless you don't like classical music.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 5:52:39 PM
//The Opera house is very subsidized the average Australian does not care about opera.//

I care about opera: I can't bloody stand it. A truly ridiculous artform, even worse than musicals.

But despite the misleading name, the Opera House does more than opera. As CM pointed out, they also do ballet. But I'm not a fan of ballet either, just the music. The I think that when it comes to ballet and opera, all the song and dance is a distraction from the nice tunes. And they are very nice tunes. If you don't dig Mozart, we can never be friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLFfSDEA26o
Posted by Toni Lavis, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 6:01:29 PM
Dear Calum Malum,

Firstly the opinion piece posted by the ABC was from this bloke;

“Dr Rohan Miller is a senior lecturer at The University of Sydney Business School. He has worked in and consulted to the advertising and gambling industries and published research related to those industries. He has also published about tourism marketing.”

What else do you think he would say?

Opera is naturally a significant part of the site's usage after all it is the Opera House, but certainly not the bulk of patronage.

Opera Australia costs us around $25 million a year in subsidies. Back in 2013 Deloittes found it contributed over $775 million to the economy.

I'm sure if you had originally been in charge it would not have been built. But Australians love it and want it respected.

The carpetbaggers and those who hold economic imperatives above all other considerations would love to see it used and abused for their own enjoyment and wealth creation. Sadly they now have the upper hand and we will all be poorer for it.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 6:04:15 PM
SteeleRedux,
"Of course the Sydney Opera House should not be used as a commercial billboard. It is world heritage listed which means it is placed alongside the Taj Mahal and the ancient Pyramids of Egypt. Would either of these sites be deemed right for having advertising splashed over them?"

Splashed, no. But shone is a different matter - didn't they illuminate one of the pyramids blue when they started selling Pepsi in blue cans?

IMO it's quite sensible to allow projection on the Opera House to be used to promote other events in NSW. But considering the strength of community opposition to it, maybe horse racing should be excluded in future?
Posted by Aidan, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 6:08:06 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To SteeleRedux through the chair- Some good points there but I don't expect there will be many things we would agree about.
Posted by Canem Malum, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 6:08:18 PM
When the president takes control his portrait is to be permanently displayed . It is Opera House tradition from 2018 . Also on all the Bridge pylons and North Head of the Harbour.
Posted by nicknamenick, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 8:39:58 PM
but let's not forget the international embarrassment it became, when only a few short months ago it was festooned in rainbow colours, celebrating gay marriage.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OXzGdS8B8Gk

Give me a celebration of a horse race any day. The hypocrisy of protestors is farcical.
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 8:54:39 PM
Dear diver dan,

That of course is your opinion and you are welcome to it.

But to celebrate a great progressive vote by a majority of Australians was certain worth celebrating by adorning the rainbow colours on a cultural icon like the Opera House.

It is not by any stretch of the imagination an exercise in hypocrisy and for you to compare it to advertising a bloody horse race for the elite is just inane and in your words farcical.

Dear Canem Malum,

Oh I'm sure there are many things we probably agree on but it would be a pretty bloody boring forum if that were all we talked about. I come here to have my ideas challenged, to prompt me to back them up with evidence and to challenge the ideas of others. I must admit there are very few left here with the capacity to do so. On the other side mhaze has a bit of a crack but the standard can be pretty low otherwise.

If you are prepared to back your opinion with decent substantiation then I'm more than happy to engage.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 9:19:23 PM
The patriot in me says 'How dare they disparage our nations most well known building';
The realist in me says 'Stuff it, who cares? Someone's got to fork out for government incompetence, the Lefts monetisition of victimhood; so-called progressive social programs, why should it always be long suffering taxpayers?'
But then I look at 'the bigger picture' and I think:
'Well why not just go a step further, show tampon ads at mealtimes and promotion of leftist political agendas?'

We know your going to eventually anyway.

Downward spiral of the dumb leading the dumb straight down the toilet.
Gotta love this country.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 9:33:55 PM
Well, it all went off well with the ferals watching. Dills!
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 9 October 2018 10:40:25 PM
The use of the Opera House for the commercial promotion of the elite blood sport of horse racing is disgusting in the extreme.

Irony; for those that bemoan the relatively small contribution made by the taxpayer towards the performing arts should note the AJC pays a "peppercorns" rent to the people of New South Wales for Randwick racecourse! In 2008 the State government extended the lease for another 99 years! Where else in Sydney could you obtain a 99 year lease from the State at a peppercorns rent. On the light fail (laughingly called the light rail project), the AJC made certain not a blade of grass on Randwick racecourse was disturbed for the disastrous project. It seen to it that the construction tore up both Alison and Wansey Roads instead. Its okay with the extra business the light rail will bring its way.

As for Alan Jones, there is that much dirt on Jones out there, but no one will dare say anything for fear that Jones will sue the arse off em', sue the arse off em'... ha ha. How old is Jones, 77? His epitaph should make interesting reading.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 7:28:35 AM
Steele,

"But to celebrate a great progressive vote by a majority of Australians was certain worth celebrating by adorning the rainbow colours on a cultural icon like the Opera House"

Just a pedantic point, the vote was not by a majority of Australians but by a minority.
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 7:31:54 AM
You're not on that one again, are you Issy! ALL Australians, every last one of them, including the Mad Monk and Archy Pell voted YES to gay marriage. The vote was 25,126,278 YES, the entire population, and zero votes for NO! That's it, end of story. No more correspondence on the subject will be entered into!Has that stumped you.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 7:53:44 AM
Now its Green.
Posted by nicknamenick, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 7:56:04 AM
Yeah the vote for sodomy back in Sodom and Gommorah was pretty high. That did not end well despite the initial celebrations.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 7:58:51 AM
Is Mise- Thank you for the clarification about Same Sex Marriage.
Posted by Canem Malum, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 8:20:42 AM
SteeleRedux

Your not married to your Mother by any slight chance are you?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6yiRPhrytkI

2018. The Sydney Harbour Bridge finally "comes-out"!

And do you believe (as I don't), the sails of the opera house will not be used to advertise the 2019 fortieth birthday party of the "Fag Mardi Gras"?
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 8:52:53 AM
Most Australians didn't give a stuff about lighting up the opera house. Those who thought they should had to exaggerate the 'poll' against by doubling it. Again, a small group of wankerati made all the noise - and the show still went on.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 8:59:09 AM
What should happen with the protesters at last nights beautiful showing of the magnificent advertisement for a horse race: yes a horse race, one of those refreshingly NORMAL public events, that are now fighting the rainbow flag for recognition on the opera house sails, is the faces in the crowd need identifying, and an official visitor attend their residence to issue a summons for vandalism and public nuisance.
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 9:16:19 AM
And a request for the Opera Horse casino to install the same beauty on diver dan's house with racing commentary in bass woofers.
Posted by nicknamenick, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 9:28:07 AM
Dear runner,

Yes that one ended up with a supposedly godly man having sex with not on but two of his daughters. “Not well” as you say.

Dear diver dan,

So you are rabidly homophobic, we get it, but how does one's homophobia lead one to supporting crass commercialism of our national icon? The machinations that would go on in your mind must be a wonder to behold.

Dear Is mise,

Granted, shall we say the majority of those who cast a vote.

Dear Armchair Critic,

You wrote;

“The patriot in me says 'How dare they disparage our nations most well known building'”

So I take it the rest of your diatribe was illustrative of your putting ideology over patriotism. It does seem to be a feature of the right at the moment however I am confident that this too will pass.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 9:29:13 AM
Statements made on behalf of most Australians must give a source for those figures.
In truth only Alan Jones remarkable insults and the inference he could tell my states leader who to sack annoyed me
Jones should get out of public broadcasting
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 10:41:27 AM
God aren't the Kulture krowd precious.

We throw millions at their rubbish, which very few are interested in, then they complain when something many are interested in is flashed up on the greatest symbol of waste & extravagance in Australia.

I have no interest is opera or horse racing, but I do find it telling just which bunch are bleating the loudest.

When the opera house earns its keep, then it won't need to be used as a bill board, however, while it is a massive loss generator it should be used for anything that will take some of the cost off the public.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 11:13:18 AM
Canem Malum

"Is Mise- Thank you for the clarification about Same Sex Marriage."

Happy to oblige; the pedanticist in me notches onto these things, with glee I might add.

Steele,

That'd be correct.

Paul,

Truth will out.
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 11:24:22 AM
Dear Hasbeen,

Too right. You would have thought these places should be able to stand on their own without siphoning off taxpayer's dollars.

Just saw another $25 million wander off to the petrol heads up in Bathurst.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsport/supercars-apex-circuit-design-wins-tender-to-design-second-circuit-on-mount-panorama/news-story/aca18cabded1158427eaf1e0df520df7

Seems they constantly have their money grubbing mitts into the pockets of the poor old tax payer.

Time to put a stop to the bloody lot in my book.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 12:58:06 PM
Found an absolute Steelie. Certainly a fail at any uni. Surprised u found incest gross!
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 2:20:51 PM
Here you go - here's the worth of the Sydney Opera House -
done a few years back. It's probably worth even more
today - and it explains why it's more than worth supporting:

http://www2.deloitte.com/au/en/pages/media-releases/articles/sydney-opera-house-worth-australia-171013.html
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 2:39:07 PM
Opera TAB will draw the big money from China and boost turnover.
NSw Racing REVENUE $ 17,622,575 (2017). 18,496,372 (2016).
Posted by nicknamenick, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 2:50:35 PM
And I'm sure Steely, the Bathurst council will be only too happy to have a light show, [billboard if you will] on the mountain promoting the Opera, provided the Arty/crafty crowd will pay for the privilege, something they don't much like doing.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 3:15:35 PM
Foxy said "here's the worth of the Sydney Opera House"

Answer- What Foxy is referring to here is perhaps contentious on a number of levels. For me the most important thing is how Australian's feel about the Opera House. But see below for various views on "Value".

"Intangible Value" see

http://www.routledge.com/Measuring-Intangible-Values-Rethinking-How-to-Evaluate-Socially-Beneficial/Harder-Burford/p/book/9781138079588

"Brand Value" (considered by some a form of Intangible Value) see

https://www.thebalancesmb.com/how-to-calculate-your-brand-s-value-2295186

A Summary of Brand Valuation

There are various ways to approach the valuation of a brand, and many of them are debatable. The concept of value often can be a difficult concept to understand. This is because value means different things to different people, so it’s not an objective concept. Valuation is determined by the use of the brand. Popular valuation methods and approaches include:
Cost-Based Brand Valuation / Market-Based Brand Valuation / Income-Approach Brand Valuation
Posted by Canem Malum, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 3:15:44 PM
http://www.thebalancesmb.com/how-to-calculate-your-brand-s-value-2295186
Posted by Canem Malum, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 3:19:15 PM
runner,

Incest can vary from gross to absolutely nobodies business, even laughable, but not necessarily to the participants.
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 3:39:23 PM
//I have no interest is opera or horse racing, but I do find it telling just which bunch are bleating the loudest.//

Yeah, but can you imagine how much of a stink the horse people would kick up if Gladys threw her weight around and ordered them to advertise upcoming events at the Opera House on the jockey's silks? They'd throw a massive tantrum.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 5:11:22 PM
I'd much rather see the day's racing with Lucia di Lammermoor's operatic triumph as the sound-track.
Posted by nicknamenick, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 5:17:36 PM
A new Deloitte report assesses the economic, cultural,
brand and digital value of the Sydney Opera House.

We're told that:

"As we reflect on the past 40 years, this report demonstrates
that the Opera House's consumer value, digital footprint and
brand perception provide it with a huge opportunity to build on
its existing strengths and capitalise on vast new local and
international audiences over the next 40 years and beyond."
Said Louise Herron, Sydney Opera House CEO.

We're told that - this report considers the direct and
indirect financial value the Sydney Opera House adds to the
economy, its iconic and experiential value to local and
international visitors, perceived value amongst key
audiences and the value of its digital footprint - now and
into the future.

The Reports key findings indicate that the Sydney Opera House
provided significant benefits to the Australian economy, that
Australians place a high value on the Sydney Opera House, and
that its impact is likely to grow in the future.

Some of the key findings of the report are:

The Sydney Opera House is estimated to be worth $4.6 billion
to Australia.

That the Sydney Opera House is estimated to contribute
$775 million to the Australian economy each year, and to
support 8,439 full time equivalent jobs directly and
indirectly.

That more than half of surveyed tourists from China, US, UK,
and NZ said the Sydney Opera House was the main reason for
visiting the city.

That Australians view a visit to the Sydney Opera House as being
more valuable than the cost of the ticket for the
performance they attend, in fact a person attending an Opera
House performance valued the experience of being there 38%
more than attending it elsewhere.

And there's even more to read at the link listed below:

http://www2.deloitte.com/au/en/pages/sydney-opera-house/articles/value-an-icon-sydney-opera-house.html
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 5:31:09 PM
cont'd ...

How would people feel about advertising displays
on our Parliament House in Canberra?

Would the federal Parliament agree - under Mr
Alan Jones's influence of course.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 5:36:12 PM
party hacks from donkey votes
Posted by nicknamenick, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 5:44:50 PM
Hi Foxy,

We could have ads telling people what a fantastic job both Federally and in NSW the Liberal party is doing in government. Is there still laws against false advertising?

With the strong community backlash against this nonsense, there is little prospect that the fools at the AJC or their political mates will risk trying this crap again.

State election in March, and its goodbye Gladdy!
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 5:50:15 PM
I reckon the horse race crowd would even let the fat lady ride one of the horses, if she was game. The horse might like her to lose a bit of weight.

It would certainly be a good bit of entertainment, better than most of her efforts.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 6:11:36 PM
Would they allow Alan Jones to ride?

http://www.smh.com.au/national/the-demons-that-drive-alan-jones-20061021.gdone7.hmtl
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 6:17:47 PM
cont'd ...

My apologies for the typo.

Here's the link again:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/the-demons-that-drive-alan-jones-20061021-gdone7.html
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 6:21:12 PM
Thanks for the link Foxy, I read every word.

I freely admit, I don't like Alan Jones, and that is not just because of his politics. The man exudes a hatefulness and contempt for others to an extent which you don't often see in people of power. He has ruthlessly uses his position in society to mercessly exploit people for his own gratification, and then without the slightest compassion abandoned those "inferiors" and moved on to his next conquest. Jones's latest victim was Louise Herron, and don't be fooled into taking Jones's mealy-mouthed apology as evidence of his compassion, its all part of the cold calculating game Jones plays.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 11 October 2018 5:04:50 AM
like Paul I dislike the man, for all of the above reasons.
Not able to get in to a rage about the sign on the Opera house.
It seems a bit like selective rage when other things that have been put there are noted.
Even the Harbor Bridge has been used to promote the city.
But Jones! dreadful bloke, in the service of extremes and the sooner he leaves the radio mike the better
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 11 October 2018 5:29:56 AM
For once (hopefully not the last time), I find myself in agreement with both Paul and Belly.

Jones makes John Laws look good.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 11 October 2018 7:52:47 AM
Is Mise, Paul 1405 and fat belly...

Truth is, you hate Alan Jones because he is a homosexual, and was caught screwing with boys behind public toilets in London.

One would think (really), Jones would connect the dots (in public comment), between the swooners of gay rights, and the adornment of the opera house in gay rainbow lights, with a fairness of other forms of media highlighting, of say for instance, horse racing et al, projected onto the exact same location.
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 11 October 2018 9:31:08 AM
DD //Truth is, you hate Alan Jones because he is a homosexual// Not in the slightest, homosexuality in its self is fine by me, friends are homosexual, and in my house they sleep together like heterosexual couples do, there is no distinction with me.
//was caught screwing with boys behind public toilets in London// well a different matter all together, but unproven in most peoples eyes.
Nor would I have a problem with Jones on this issue, if he simply advocated the lighting nonsense and nothing else. No, he believes he is so high and mighty he can have people sacked on a whim, shows the calibre of the man.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 11 October 2018 9:51:57 AM
DD,

So Jones is a homosexual, didn't know that.

Makes one wonder how he gets a boyfriend though.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 11 October 2018 10:02:20 AM
Paul 14.05 Kim from Byron Bay...

Maybe you should replace the role of your mother (sic), with a batch of faggot Iranian Refugees (sic), and sick!
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 11 October 2018 10:41:57 AM
Childish! yes AJ is homosexual, NO nothing to do with why I dislike the big mouthed fool.
He speech writer to several Liberal PMs, seems to think he is PM
Rude tosser, at best, bigoted against any one who is not in agreeance with him, nasty bloke.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 11 October 2018 10:50:09 AM
God haven't our lefties lost it.

They are now so unable to tell the truth that they are now lying to themselves & each other about why they hate Alan Jones.

The worst thing is that many of them now believe their own lies.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 11 October 2018 11:17:03 AM
I think many if Jones haters are secretly envious. I am not sure why. Personally I don't know the guy but if he exposes the lies and misrepresentations on the abc he must have something going for him.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 11 October 2018 11:21:03 AM
I don't know if Alan Jones is actually gay or not, but he certainly carries on like a bitchy queen.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Thursday, 11 October 2018 12:20:39 PM
Let's simply exaggerate this problem further for analysis. What we are involved here-with, the hype about the grossness (sic), of advertising a horse race on the sails of the opera house, is the pointy end of the culture wars. It's one that is driven extensively by the arts.
As if those involved in the arts, own the arts: Well, no they don't. Vis a vis, who controls the ABC? Another subject not far removed from the opera house.

Assuming there is a rule at play here, (and there is a rule at play), who sets the rule.
The rule is, there is one dominating culture in Australia at the moment, and that is equality. Equality is the smoke screen for gay rights. (Homosexuality predominates the arts. Every second jack and his dog are gay).

To test the robust nature of our Democracy, I propose the right wing political factions, be permitted to project the image of a swastika onto the sails, on special occasions.
Could you imagine the howls of protest? Well I'm serious!
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 11 October 2018 3:31:27 PM
Dear diver dan,

My goodness you do seem to be tying yourself into knots over this.

Tim Wilson, who most people would regard pretty far to the right in his politics was one of the strongest proponents of same sex marriage.

The same electorate that voted in Tony Abbott gave this country one of the strongest yes votes.

This was is no way a strictly right/left issue and for you to try and paint it as such is dishonest.

For you to be conflating this with the crass commercialism elbowing its way on to a national icon is idiotic.

Frame your argument properly if you want it openly considered.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 11 October 2018 6:57:06 PM
SR.

I'll start at the bottom, and if you wish to play the role of a quirky fag boy, I'm more than happy to engage you on my post.

*…Frame your argument properly if you want it openly considered…*

I've done that, the argument against radical political groups such as the gay rights movement, usurping the exclusive use of the opera house for the purpose of furthering the questionable agenda of their cause, is well put. I've offered an alternative view of a similar radical political group, right wing extremists the same privileges in furthering their cause, by allowing them the use of the opera house sails on which to project the image of swastikas, symbolic of their movement. You are thick, I'll try to be nice.
My argument is not about commercialism…now pay attention…it is a challenge to its “existing use”… got that?

*…This was is no way a strictly right/left issue and for you to try and paint it as such is dishonest…*

Listen fag boy. The gay rights movement is radically left wing. They plaster their symbolic crap on the opera house! Unchallenged!

*…The same electorate that voted in Tony Abbott gave this country one of the strongest yes votes…*

Irrelevant!

*…Tim Wilson, who most people would regard pretty far to the right in his politics was one of the strongest proponents of same sex marriage…*

Heard of the word traitor? Another at the moment is Turnbull’s treacherous son, bad mouthing the Liberal Party. There is another “fag boy” at work, doing the worst he can for his friends; obviously it runs in the family!

*…My goodness you do seem to be tying yourself into knots over this…*

You do have difficulty following a straightforward truthful line. Keep practicing by reading my posts, you might learn something!

Till then FO.
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 11 October 2018 8:40:37 PM
Dear diver dan,

Thought so.

Look mate it is pretty evident you are struggling with your sexuality. Time and time again those who are the most rabidly anti-gay are found to be closeted, self-denying and self-hating homosexuals and you fit every single stereotype.

Who can forget Ted Haggard, the bloke Richard Dawkins interviewed during his program.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPWrnWQMJo0
Former leader of the National Association of Evangelicals representing over 40,000 churches it turns out he was snorting crack of a male prostitute's arse in his spare time.

Or this delightful rabidly anti-gay baptist minister who got caught with a rent boy off Craig's List.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Alan_Rekers

There is less than a condom wrapper separating you from them.

At some stage you are going to have to face your hidden self, not that I think it is likely to happen any time soon because your denial is pretty brittle.

Instead you are likely to ratchet up your homophobic diatribe on forums like this which will only serve to exhibit to the rest of us your obvious deeply conflicted sexuality.

Get some help old chap.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 11 October 2018 9:46:24 PM
Thanks for your comments Diver Dan.
Posted by Canem Malum, Thursday, 11 October 2018 10:32:23 PM
Yes Steele, Dan/Kim is obviously a person struggling with his sexuality. Most likely an older male, probably married, at the cross roads, fearing the shame and scorn that could be unleashed by family and friends should his true sexuality be revealed.

Dan there is help available out there, and it is confidential, a call to Lifeline 13 11 14 would be a good starting point. they can advise without incrimination.

I'm being serious, don't continue to bury your sexuality problem, even if its been years hidden away, come out, and you might be surprised how supportive those close to you can be.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 12 October 2018 5:59:53 AM
Most people are not gay. For that reason they will never really understand what it means to be gay. And we'll never really understand why they insist on putting it in our faces. At the end of the day we really don't care about their opinion that much because they are a small minority and generally their world doesn't have much to do with ours. It's concerning that children are being influenced by this twilight world on the edge of society. I feel sorry that gay people are lonely and feel a need to be accepted by society. It's the burden of the choice to be different that you may not be accepted. Sometimes it's just easier to fit in- even if it doesn't always "feel" right. I remember the musician George Michael saying "everyone is in the closet"- maybe it's true maybe it isn't- but at that point he lost all credibility for me. This issue has a few levels. Many gay people that I've known over the years have suffered- some more than others- you could blame prejudice if you like. Some have a vocation of self victimization- martyr archetype. All people travel a path- as we age we learn- and often the warnings of our parents haunt us due to our mistakes. We all get lonely at times- and yearn for human contact- adolescent depression is especially concerning- strong family support is important- most of us learn to be resilient. Most people from what I can see don't bear gay people ill will and accept that these people tread a difficult chaotic path. Most just try to avoid chaos in their lives and try to make their lives less chaotic. As people age sexuality becomes a less important part of most peoples lives- perhaps this is due to youthful hormones. Male animals tend to be more sexually aggressive and research into testosterone seems to support this. Females also produce testosterone. There are also claims that testosterone levels can affect growing fetuses
Posted by Canem Malum, Friday, 12 October 2018 7:47:20 AM
There is also the political side of gay society that promotes their own agenda at the expense of the rest of society- this should be struck down as unrepresentative tyranny. Sadly this movement has affected society at many levels- the majority of society just want to live their lives without politics- once in a while they wake up to make a correction- not very stable but that's the way it seems to be.

Some have associated males with left brain (logic) and females with right brain (feeling, creativity). There is likely an evolutionary reason why the brain is divided into two halves- it's not likely a white heterosexual male conspiracy. Jung talked about archetypes- men tend to adopt certain ones and females others- there seems to be a natural tendency for social division of archetype roles along gender lines in society historically. Some have suggested this is a simple form of division of labour. Often in society social pressure is used to enforce roles- this occurs in gender-less/ role-less society too- the concept of manliness and femininity seem to apply here. These roles also appear to be enforced at some level in the animal world.

Relatively recently there has been criticism of gender based roles in society- rightly or wrongly. To understand whether the evolved gender based roles are now irrelevant one might look at how our brains and our environment have changed and how they remain effectively the same.

Having gender roles in animals doesn't suggest that some roles are more important than others they are complimentary. That is what society is about- dividing the society into complimentary roles to manage the environment to ensure the society is stable.
Posted by Canem Malum, Friday, 12 October 2018 8:10:44 AM
Some say gays are no-brainers , born on the left and complimenting the right brain . This is often illustrated by the twin sails of the Opera House flickering with light disco rages. Bitch nazi tyrant sopranos drown the colonial bowels of males at birth or even earlier to howls of protest from horse racists.
Posted by nicknamenick, Friday, 12 October 2018 8:36:50 AM
Dear Canem Malum,

You wrote;

“There is also the political side of gay society that promotes their own agenda at the expense of the rest of society- this should be struck down as unrepresentative tyranny “

Good lord, really? What did it cost us to vote to extend the right to marry to same sex couples? To me it enhanced our sense of fair play which is something the majority of Australians thought more important than preserving a historical discrimination.

Having the majority of voters put their imprimatur of gay couples being able to tie the knot is about as far from unrepresentative tyranny as you can get.

Revisionism is an unpleasant occupation and justifiably frowned upon in polite circles.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Friday, 12 October 2018 10:07:03 AM
//It's the burden of the choice to be different that you may not be accepted.//

I'm not sure it is a choice... I know I didn't make any choice to be heterosexual, it just happened.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Friday, 12 October 2018 10:18:19 AM
Opera House Jillboard is a choice but tyranny makes it Bill.
Posted by nicknamenick, Friday, 12 October 2018 10:31:49 AM
Suggestions towards solving the serious bias in the governance of the Sydney opera house, currently on full display.

1. Stand down the entire opera house Trust at the next NSW State elections, and hand over to the public, the right to elect its own representatives.

2. Defund the arts entirely.

3. Privatise the opera house. (And the ABC, which is a family part of the arts).
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 12 October 2018 10:43:01 AM
Labor is clearly the next government in my state NSW
Thankfully not a chance they will do any of the above
Yet in truth until AJ got involved, and even now,the whole issue is was and always will be a beat up.
Sell it to Bunnings for all I care
AJ? silly old fool should get off the air take the mic with him in an unfortunate place
Posted by Belly, Friday, 12 October 2018 11:21:48 AM
Hi Dan/Kim,

Attacking the arts, your belief that the arts is populated by openly gay people, is a manifestation of your "machoism", it is understandable, given your present dilemma regarding your own sexuality.
As I said before there is help available, and you should avail yourself of it.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 12 October 2018 11:39:01 AM
Dear diver dan,

You accuse me saying "You do have difficulty following a straightforward truthful line." and then you deliver your last post.

So in one breath you want the Opera house to be handed over to the public to elect the officials and in the next you want to privatise it.

Do you understand why that might seem a bit schizophrenic to the casual reader?

Would you care to try again or are your bile ducts being squeezed over all and sundry because you are feeling a touch ornery today?
Posted by SteeleRedux, Friday, 12 October 2018 12:49:05 PM
The recent events in Sydney concerning the Opera House
have been both disheartening and in a smaller way
re-assuring.

Disheartening - when Alan Jones used his radio program
to bully and threaten the CEO of the Opera House, Louise
Herron. And even more disheartening was the NSW Liberal
Premier's response.

What was re-assuring was that by Tuesday more than a
quarter of a million people had signed a petition
against the plan. People had had enough of the bullies -
and were sick of the financial interests of industry
trumping people's decisions to hold onto their public
places and spaces.

Of course the influence of political donations particularly
from the racing and gaming industries will always have
unprecedented access to power and will win out - that's
clear - but at least there was a reaction from people.
We can only hope that next time - perhaps the people will
win.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 12 October 2018 3:36:16 PM
Get over it folks: the opera house WAS used as a 'billboard' and probably will be used as such many times in the future. End of story.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 12 October 2018 4:47:35 PM
beat me to it ttbn!
Posted by runner, Friday, 12 October 2018 4:58:48 PM
oops maybe the opera house is now a 'sacred' site for the lefties. Would be fairer if all Aussies got a go. Just a thought.
Posted by runner, Friday, 12 October 2018 5:00:30 PM
Hi Foxy,

You strengthen the argument for public funding of elections, and appropriate allowable spending levels for political parties. This is something the Greens have long advocated. The money influence in the political process, particularly to the big two who form governments, has become intolerable at all levels.
Here in NSW, we had a conga line of corrupt Liberals parading before the ICAC over their illegal acceptance of developer money. This has resulted in over development within Sydney, as the Liberal government approves almost every proposal put forward, something like 99%. The incompetent planning minister Anthony Roberts, declaring there is no such thing as "over development"! I think he believes what is good for his mate Harry is good for all of us.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 12 October 2018 5:02:10 PM
runner

*...oops maybe the opera house is now a 'sacred' site for the lefties. Would be fairer if all Aussies got a go. Just a thought...*

Your a little soft on the "club of faggot fascists" that have gather around OLO lately aren't you?
Posted by diver dan, Saturday, 13 October 2018 9:19:06 AM
Come on Diver my position on homosexuality has not changed. As the Word of God says it is sin alongside adultery, fornication,lying etc. Plenty have turned from homosexual lifestyle as they have adultery etc. People practicing homosexuality can be forgiven just like the adulterer if they turn from sin and ask Christ to lead them.
Posted by runner, Saturday, 13 October 2018 9:39:14 AM
Dear diver dan,

Come on mate, you still trotting out the 'faggot' line?

So many of your posts reveal a latent homosexuality but you just don't see it. It is hilarious.

Take this one for instance which you addressed to me;

“I'll start at the bottom, and if you wish to play the role of a quirky fag boy, I'm more than happy to engage you on my post.”

So bloody loaded with unconscious innuendo that is should be in a text book. Let's break it down.

“I'll start at the bottom” - Brilliant. I'm sure you will you naughty boy. Most people would have said 'last point', or 'final point'. But not you. That isn't what you are fixated on is it.

“ you wish to play the role of a quirky fag boy” - Such obvious projection. This is you thinking about role playing, of what it would be like, not just fag boy but 'quirky' fag boy. I mean who else would use such a term if it wasn't swilling around in their head?

“I'm more than happy to engage you on my post.” Damn son! What the hell! Very funny. And what 'post' would that be my fine blossom-buttocked friend? And yes I'm sure you would be very happy.

Whew. You managed to load so much homosexual innuendo into a single sentence that even Mr Humphries would have needed to take a lie down.

Read them all together and they are even more telling. There are plenty more and we can discuss them further if it would help. Keep them coming though, they are good fun.

It was also interesting the way runner framed his answer to you. “People practicing homosexuality can be forgiven just like the adulterer if they turn from sin and ask Christ to lead them.” Notice he is several degrees more conciliatory about homosexuality when discussing the issue with you. He sees it, perhaps not overtly, but he is certainly aware of something.

All the best with the journey mate.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Saturday, 13 October 2018 10:34:18 AM
The following post can be taken as a middle finger to the faggots and their followers on this page:

Viz:

It might interest Gladys Berejiklian, the NSW premier, there are among her constituents, many who are actually offended by the rainbow displays, the symbolic colours of the political extremist group, loosely branded as the gay rights, projected onto public buildings, such as the Sydney opera house, and the Sydney harbour bridge.

The rights to freedom of expression through free speech and peaceful demonstration, should not be corralled by one extremist political group, as it plainly is the case now.

If, as the baying gay rights extremists claim, advertising a public event by projecting images of race horses onto the sails of the Sydney opera house, constitutes an assault on the culture of the arts, then fairness to their argument would extend to a ban on all political advertising on the same object.
That ban should, (and must) include a ban on subliminal advertising of the same cause, by a ban on the projection of such images as rainbows, the political symbol of the gay rights.

The freedom to practice homosexuality free of law against the practice , which was the original objective of gay rights, has been won. That should be the end of their campaign, and the organisation disbanded.

But as many thinking Australians feared, those simple objectives have proved a precursor to greater field of victory for them, as extremists, and a profound loss to conservatives, which has given way to the end of the Liberal Party, as it falls into civil war with itself as a consequence of falling into the trap of subservience to the creeping menace of gay rights, in preference to fight.
Posted by diver dan, Saturday, 13 October 2018 11:42:52 AM
Thanks Diver Dan for your comments in this toxic environment- No one willingly gives up power- It will burn itself out sooner or later. The same is true of the "Gay Movement". Hopefully the damage done to the community will be minimized. But this movement is now very well resourced- it will likely take an extraordinary phenomenon to dislodge them. Hopefully they drag down the socialists and the rest of the libertarians, the UN, the EU with them.
Posted by Canem Malum, Saturday, 13 October 2018 11:55:06 AM
Dear diver dan,

Hahahaha.

Offering your middle finger to gay guys? With a suggestive wink I suppose. I never knew prostate stimulation was your thing but kind of you to ask. Unfortunately as a follower it isn't my cup of tea but I'm sure you will find some takers. Make sure your nails are trimmed though.

And I love your use of laden words to pepper your posts.

Projecting or projected x 3, gay rights x 5, rainbow x 2, etc

But there is a religious element to your post which is enlightening. Words and phrases like;

'Falls into', 'falling into', 'profound loss', 'given way', 'the end of' speak of course to the sin you feel your leanings transgress. You obviously see yourself as 'fallen'.

This phrase is terrifically laden; “falling into the trap of subservience to the creeping menace of gay rights”.

Shall we remind the readers that this is all in a thread about whether commercial interests should be allowed the advertise on the sides of one of the most significant icons of the nation, yet somehow you have single-handedly steered the focus on to the very real battle you are having with your sexual preferences.

This is remarkably amusing. Can we please have some more?
Posted by SteeleRedux, Saturday, 13 October 2018 5:06:47 PM
Canem Malum

OLO is a conservative publication, with lenient rules, allowing for free speech to flow.

Keeping in mind the subject matter on this thread is relevant to the opera house, and advertising on its sails, which I think has been pretty much adhered to by myself.
Would not say the same though for the club-faggot trolls, who are now abundant on OLO.

Your comments on my post are appreciated. We’ll cover your subject elsewhere in the near future no doubt.
Posted by diver dan, Saturday, 13 October 2018 8:40:05 PM
And still and always, the middle finger to the reduxed Faggot.
Posted by diver dan, Saturday, 13 October 2018 8:47:33 PM
Dear diver dan,

You wrote,

“Your comments on my post are appreciated.”

And a very fine post it is in your mind I'm sure. But you see having a member bent that far to the right does raise the odd eyebrow.

However if Canem Malum has indeed had a viewing without commenting on its leanings then who am I to burst your bubble.

What happens in the back rooms of OLO stays in the backrooms if you get my drift.

Of course if you felt able to moderate your language I'm sure I could too. If not this is indeed a source of continual amusement. I will leave that in your court young lad.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Saturday, 13 October 2018 8:49:26 PM
//And still and always, the middle finger to the reduxed Faggot.//

Well that's funny... I can't write f4ggot on this forum without being censored. Even if when I'm not referring to homosexuals. For example, a bundle of sticks is a f4ggot... see what I mean?

I guess South Park were right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hV3LwA6y0o
Posted by Toni Lavis, Saturday, 13 October 2018 9:13:29 PM
Dear Tony Lavis,

That is bloody hilarious. When I try any of the derivations diver dan used, f4ggot, F4ggot, f4ggots they all return a "Remove the profanity." when I attempt to post it.

How on earth is he able to get away with it. I don't think OLO has the level of Gaydar but something is afoot.

What a hoot. It would be one hell of a coincidence if for some reason the filter didn't work for him but then again maybe Christ Almighty is teaching him a lesson.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Sunday, 14 October 2018 12:13:04 PM
That's rough TL/SA5073....
Posted by diver dan, Sunday, 14 October 2018 7:12:42 PM
Steele,

The OLO filter is one of life's mysteries!!
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 14 October 2018 8:46:02 PM
faggot
Posted by nicknamenick, Sunday, 14 October 2018 8:49:05 PM
f4ggot
Posted by nicknamenick, Sunday, 14 October 2018 8:49:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy