The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Just shows how manipulative the media can be

Just shows how manipulative the media can be

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/farmers-allowed-to-shoot-kangaroos-amid-drought/ar-BBLEyoQ?ocid=spartandhp

I don't often paste links but this one has made me furious and shows just how manipulative the media can be.

Scrolling down there is a picture of kangaroos happily grazing on green pastures, joey in pouch, when in fact the very story they are covering in one of total devastation and despair as livestock and wild animals compete for what little food is actually available.

Shame on you as this is just another case of 'what ever it takes' to sell papers.
Posted by rehctub, Thursday, 9 August 2018 7:50:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/farmers-allowed-to-shoot-kangaroos-amid-drought/ar-BBLEyoQ?ocid=spartandhp
Posted by Philip S, Thursday, 9 August 2018 11:55:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Butch,

I suspect that newspapers have been flogging the sensational, at the expense of the truth, for a long time. Recently, a map of supposed massacre sites (i.e. of Aboriginal people by mass-murdering whites), has been published and I suspect tthat many of its information sources were newspapers, as well as creative sundowners and bar-flies.

The map has interactive dots marking supposed sites, and when I checked one of them in far NE SA, up on the Warburton, I found that two of the dots were of the same place, with a claim that a hundred Aboriginal people had been killed there in 1899. By 1899, that entire area would have been under pastoral leases, replete with many Aboriginal ration depots, for around thirty years: pastoral leases had been taken out all along the Warburton River and Coopers Creek much earlier than 1899. The biggest sheep station in the world at the time, Cordillo Downs, is a couple of hundred km to the east, and two Lutheran missions had been operating just south of the supposed site for thirty three years, so massacre seems hardly likely given the vigilance and dedication of the missionaries. An investigation would clear it up.

Fortunately, the map's author is also claiming that the massacres are all 'verifiable': I presume by this she means that archaeologists and forensic scientists could go to any one of the sites and find evidence of a massacre, to 'verify' that one had occurred. I look forward to that ever happening. The map claims some hundreds of massacre sites: as far as I can tell, not half a dozen have ever been examined anywhere in Australia. Perhaps before (presumably) hundreds of people are accused of being mass-murderers, investigations should be carried out ?

As for newspapers, as John Williamson sang to the Cootamundra Wattle, 'Good news never made a paper sell'. There has been such a phenomenon as 'fake news' for a very long time. Many careers have been built on it, yes, including the Donald's.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 9 August 2018 1:04:32 PM
News has for a long time been a form of entertainment, more often slanted than not, sometimes it truly is fake news, I long for politicians on both sides to ask interviewers this question *are you asking me my opinion or giving us yours?* fake news was about in this country, great Britain and America from the beginning of the last century as newspaper barrons used their property to influence us all.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 9 August 2018 4:52:25 PM
hi Belly i love that, well done . You be lucky to find a 100 abos together in that country together.
Posted by the pilot, Thursday, 9 August 2018 8:27:57 PM
Infowars has been shut down on YouTube and Facebook.

I'll tell you all about the liberal left.
They are they absolute effing scum who will lie to manipulate the minds of the people,
And when that doesn't work,
They try to cheat to win;
Manipulating elections, silencing opposition.
Spreading mistruths and trying to cause
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 9 August 2018 11:28:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy