The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Does Anything Go on the Footy Field

Does Anything Go on the Footy Field

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Not a big fan of AFL, but I was disgusted in the actions of first grade player Andrew Gaff, who punched opponent Andrew Brayshaw in the face breaking Brayshaw's jaw and knocking out his teeth.
The penalty for this criminal action, Gaff can sit on the side line for the next eight weeks. If this had taken place anywhere else Gaff would be looking at criminal charges. Is the footy field some sort of special place where anything goes, and you get away with it.

My opinion; This bloke should be up on criminal charges just like any other Australian would be if they did the same thing.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 8 August 2018 7:56:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So Paul 1404

You would like to see lawyers and police involved in refereeing football games...

That's the Greens for you!
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 8 August 2018 10:17:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry, Paul 1405..not 1404.

That's a subliminal slip. I've made you walk home the last hundred yards as a penalty for stupid thinking Paul.
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 8 August 2018 10:21:00 AM
Punching another person is assault, no matter where it occurs. But, AFL, more than ever before, is a very violent activity just lacking the lions, weapons and nets of the gladitorial events the sent the ancient Romans into a frenzy. The only other difference between the two events is that the Roman spectators didn't brawl among themselves unlike many of the drunks watching football.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 8 August 2018 10:28:20 AM
Dear PAul1405,

Gaff had never once in his football career ever fronted a tribunal for any form of misconduct including all his years in the juniors. Those who coached him regarded him as an extremely fair player. His claim that he was looking to hit his opponent in the chest can not be fully discounted by the video.

However a young first year player did receive some pretty confronting damage which has effectively ended his season.

Intent and prior behavior are a huge part of any police involvement. For instance if a tooth is knocked out by a raised stick in a hockey game should the police automatically be called?

Indeed by your definition wouldn't boxing matches be halted seconds into the first round and charges laid?

Contact sports do carry a real risk of injury.

I certainly feel the league has been lax on policing body shots and they have become the norm. This may well have had a factor. I think there is a lot the administrators of the game can do to change behaviour and better protect players. But no, I don't believe police charges should be automatic.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Wednesday, 8 August 2018 10:29:09 AM
If this had happened in front of a night club at 2.00 AM in the morning, Gaff would definitely be up on charges.

The Queensland tax payer has spent a lot of money in government advertising pushing the "one punch can kill" message, to try to reduce drunken thug like behaviour, the fact that this bloke was not drunk makes it much worse in my opinion.

He should have the book, both the AFL & the law books thrown at him, & have a much longer suspension, that of 6 months in prison.

How the hell do you expect to stop drunken thugs doing this in the street, if it is served up on TV in "GAMES" with no suitable punishment?
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 8 August 2018 10:53:36 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy