The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Australia Hits 25 Million

Australia Hits 25 Million

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
According to the ABS Australia's population hit the 25 million mark at about 11pm EST last night. This is at least 30 years earlier than previous predictions. Where are they comming from? 62% from migration. and 38% from the birth rate.
On the migration front Chinese and Indians make up the two biggest groups. 90% of new arrivals settle in Sydney and Melbourne. By visa category international students are the largest group of arrivals, and China is the most common country of birth for international students. At the present rate Australia's population will hit 40 million by 2050.

Is Australia's population growth sustainable?
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 8 August 2018 6:41:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Is Australia's population growth sustainable?".

No.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 8 August 2018 10:14:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Paul,

Is our population growth sustainable?

It could be - if new arrivals were sent to our regional
areas and helped with towns that are dieing. Of course
there needs to be major investments in infrastructure in
those areas - services need to be provided to attract
people to those areas. But it would be a win-win situation
if this was to happen for all concerned. We need to encourage
a move away from the congested urban city areas. And the
government could help make this possible.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 8 August 2018 11:16:17 AM
cont'd ...

There should be a contract for all new permanent migrants
to live in regional areas for a minimum of ten or more
years which would encourage development of those areas
and keep those settlers in those areas for a longer period
of time.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 8 August 2018 11:51:09 AM
Tried to look at this in another thread right now my answer remains no, we do not even yet have the water to fill our inland with towns and villages and we see that in this drought, we however will continue to grow and convince ourselves growth ,constant growth, is the only way for prosperity until we hit the wall and see we should have found sustainable ways to live
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 8 August 2018 11:54:31 AM
We used to despise the graziers who would keep building their herds in the good times, than start bleating for help when the inevitable drought came along.

The more prudent respectable grazier ran his property with reasonable numbers, tuned to the seasons. They made far less money in the good times, & still had a bit of a problem in the really bad, but did deserve help at those times. They had due respect for the carrying capacity of their property.

Today it is the nation, & lousy government that is showing no respect for the carrying capacity of the continent. The continent is screaming that we are overstocking with sheep, cattle, & more importantly people. Until we wake up to the limited carrying capacity of the driest continent, & stop any immigration above sustaining existing population we are going to struggle.

Foxy I'm afraid you have it wrong. Mostly there is no reason for those country towns to grow. Many were railway towns, & as rail traffic has reduced, & the rolling stock increased it's reliability & service distance, they are dying.

Many others serviced the agriculture in a district. Now with long distance transport, small towns are no longer needed. At the same time agriculture has required much larger properties to survive, & mechanisation has reduced farm labour numbers. This greatly reduced the rural population, so the service towns shrink.

I recently had a trip through some of my rural upbringing areas. The only town I visited which was growing was Young NSW. The reason cherries. Cherries are a high value crop, grown on small holdings, requiring a high workforce. The growers do well, as do the workers, but not so well that they fly to Sydney to buy a shirt, as the very wealthy do.

All the other towns were contracting. More people won't grow the towns, except as welfare towns, with all the problems that brings.

I doubt the residents of towns where people still don't have to lock their doors would welcome an influx of migrants, particularly from Africa or the middle east.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 8 August 2018 3:09:19 PM
Dear Hassie,

Not sure if you're right on the money with this one.
Lismore - is begging for more people to come out and
settle. They say it's a great place to live. And so is
Chincilla. They're all claiming they need more people -
and I'm sure that there must be other towns like that.

The MP for Agriculture should know more about that being
a country boy himself. He could look into it.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 8 August 2018 3:15:27 PM
I'm a migrant & many fellow migrants share my sentiment when I say there are right migrants & there are wrong migrants.
We definitely don't want the latter overunning country towns. I recall the sentiments expressed by the right people many, many years ago back in Central Europe when the first waves of wrong migrants were brought in by the wrong business people & wrong politicians.
Now it's all gone wrong.
Many Australians still refuse to see what's happening & insist more wrong immigration is good for the country. Is there any chance at all we could make them wake up ? People of the fath of Islam are no problem, Islamics from the dustbowls of northern Africa are.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 8 August 2018 3:28:05 PM
I think that population growth is as resource as any other, so it is sustainable
Posted by violetkeen, Wednesday, 8 August 2018 9:43:44 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
violetkeen,
Just as any resource it will get out of hand if not used in the right context.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 8 August 2018 10:51:15 PM
Hi Foxy,

I think the government would have more chance of decentralizing the migrant intake away from Sydney and Melbourne to cities like Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth and Hobart rather than to regional towns like Lismore. Its a matter of infrastructure and employment opportunities. The government has failed to deliver what is needed where its needed.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 9 August 2018 6:23:26 AM
If this is not a wake-up call then nothing will be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI8a-c-kBFk
Posted by individual, Thursday, 9 August 2018 8:32:50 AM
Paul agree have spent time in Lismore and know it very well, it floods! and each time struggles to get back on its feet, strange mixture of true poor and left overs from wealthy grazer days, and the old age hippies who live around it, it can not grow much until it resolves its flood troubles, great surrounding country however, we should not let migration/refugees taint the question can we in this country endlessly grow our population? some migrants made areas we did not use produce some of our wealth,I refuse to be side tracked in to baging migrants the question must be about numbers Foxy however is quite right room exists to settle migrants and refugees in many country towns, they would be reborn by that action.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 9 August 2018 9:49:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI8a-c-kBFk

Watching your YouTube. Well Indy what do you propose as your "Call to Action" programme?
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 9 August 2018 11:28:41 AM
"Call to Action" programme?
Paul1405,
First up should be no child support for more than two children for citizens of Australia & child support for only one for non-citizens.
Secondly, no welfare for those able-bodied who do not actively seek employment & no welfare for non-citizens. Councils MUST provide employment opportunities either directly or indirectly by aiding local industry.
Thirdly, redefine the term refugee from islamic countries.
See how that goes then develop policies according to the situation.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 9 August 2018 1:18:05 PM
Hasbeen- Thanks for the good breakdown. The people who live in Lismore from my understanding get their children out as soon as they can so that they will have a good future.
Posted by Canem Malum, Saturday, 11 August 2018 4:02:53 AM
Is a parent that gives money to charity while their own children are starving a moral parent. The same for those that give to foreigners while their own are doing it hard. Some may call this racist but some call it "common sense a very English quality".
Posted by Canem Malum, Saturday, 11 August 2018 4:37:03 AM
Good thread Paul1405
Posted by Canem Malum, Saturday, 11 August 2018 4:44:46 AM
your "Call to Action" programme?
Paul1405,
What'd be yours ?
Posted by individual, Sunday, 12 August 2018 5:57:48 AM
Indy,

My belief is Australia's immigration policy has to be both practical as well as having a humanitarian aspect. Above all it has to be sustainable in the long term. The argument generally comes down to two things, the humanitarian side, i.e refugees and family reunions, as well as overall numbers. The skills side of the equation is running at about 8 times the numbers in the humanitarian programme, which from a practical point of view is probably good for Australia, skilled migrants are generally an instant net asset to the country, where as refugees tend to be a long term liability. Numbers have be be flexible and adjusted to reflect changing economic circumstances and changing requirements.
With hindsight I think we have taken more people since 2005 than is economically sustainable. The problems of urban overcrowding in Sydney and Melbourne reflects at least bad planing policy by government if not a tendency to take more people than is sustainable into those two cities.

Your calls for punitive action against what you term "non citizens" smacks of authoritarianism, as a true liberal I do not support that nonsense.
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 12 August 2018 6:50:49 AM
Individual- At least you are loyal. I'd say your kind is much better. Concentric circles. Australia is not a business to exploit- it's our home. I remember great trees I climbed as a child- they've mostly been cut down. I'd be happier if there was less foreign cultures in Australia even if the economy was worse.
Posted by Canem Malum, Sunday, 12 August 2018 11:20:18 AM
Your calls for punitive action against what you term "non citizens" smacks of authoritarianism, as a true liberal I do not support that nonsense.

Paul1405,
What exactly is punitive & authoritarian in curbing excessive demands from people who are not citizens ?
I think your dismissal of such demands at the expense to Australians is way more authoritarian.
There are certain privileges for citizens which must not automatically & at a whim of some humanitarian moment be extended to non-citizens who have not contributed sufficiently & that is not nonsense.
Humanitarian aid is something that must not be denied (tell that to those causing their people to flee) but privileges are a different story.
Let me ask a question which I hope you can answer in return. Would you consider it right or wrong to offer able-bodied young refugees the military support they'd need to return to their homelands & overthrow those who forced them to leave or should they simply exploit the humanitarian effort extended to them & thus enable the regimes of their homelands to cause more refugees?
What percentage of your wage would you be willing to forfeit to aid more refugees ?
My take on this is to encourage refugees to fight for their homelands & provide australian manufactured infrastructure to rebuild their homelands. This would in turn offer greater economic & social prosperity for both sides in my opinion.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 12 August 2018 11:22:50 AM
Individual- As you've said just because the majority of Australians may not want to give their tax dollars to certain causes doesn't stop Paul1405 from giving to efforts to do the same. Ayn Rand says some interesting things about charity.
Posted by Canem Malum, Sunday, 12 August 2018 11:56:03 AM
What 'has been' with immigration, 'up to now' and all that stuff, is a dead issue. What happened in the past is not happening now. We have to look to the future, and anyone who thinks our current mass immigration will be sustainable in the future is very much mistaken.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 12 August 2018 12:42:45 PM
The gist of my argument is that the do-gooders due to feeling a tinge of humanitarian feel-good by just talking about it, actually worsens the situation for all by the day. One lot terrorises another which then become refugees who then become a burden on those who, over many years put an effort into becoming a cohesive society. Then, those who had it too good for too long within & due to that cohesive society, turn against the hands that feed them so as to feel good of "doing something" for the displaced.
Meanwhile the displaced multiply relentlessly in every which way, confident in the knowlege that the do-gooders will ensure they don't have to do nothing but bleat victim in order to get better conditions than many of those who actually pay for the whole show. I'm advocating that able-bodied refugees should be made to make an effort to change their situation instead of simply relying on the ever decreasing ability of decent folk to keep on providing for nothing but social problems/instability & economic pressure in return.
Refugees not only need help, they also need to help themselves by making an effort to contribute to the efforts of their hosts instead of demanding the hosts change their ways.
I don't think i could imagine what some of the really poor refugees endured in their old countries just as I can't imagine why they want to introduce here what they initially fled from.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 12 August 2018 1:35:57 PM
Just heard from a friend who told me that the Govt of Poland is offering young refugees to train them as soldiers to return & fight for their country to stop the refugee crisis & rebuild their country.
Very sound policy but it still leaves the matter of the main agenda which is the islamisation of the world.
Posted by individual, Monday, 13 August 2018 9:50:27 AM
Paul1405,
as i can't reply to the other thread (posting limit) how about getting your opinion to my last question to you on this one ?
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 14 August 2018 9:59:27 AM
Indy,

I'm not familiar with the Polish government, and any notions of training refugees to fight anyone. Your friend told you this, hummmm.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 14 August 2018 4:52:54 PM
Paul1405,
How do you feel about the second part re islamisation, is that something you'd be comfortable with or disprove of ?
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 14 August 2018 6:27:01 PM
Canem Malum, I have no problem extending the hand of friendship to our "family" in the Pacific, and my wife and I, along with other Australians and New Zealanders, do that in the most practical of ways possible.
I would encourage all those that are in a position of affluence to do so, but it is a personal choice.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 14 August 2018 8:56:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy