The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Diversity

Diversity

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All
Yes banning of abortion creates some problems but also so does the opposite. Generally John Stuart Mill on Liberty makes sense. However allowance of abortion could create a lack of responsibility with respect to sexual behavior. When the policy of sex is for children and marriage there is no doubt of the responsibilities of the different parties. Also the power dynamic between the sexes of child birth is more equalized. It comes down to a balance of rights and power- the right of the woman, the right of the stable society, the sexual needs of humans, the rights for children to be wanted, etc. I'm reluctant to dismiss the experience of a thousand years by the churches as madness and patriarchy.
Posted by Canem Malum, Wednesday, 25 July 2018 11:08:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
david f yes true does that make it right? or just remind us even pre Trump America had its share of hillbilly idiots? wrong in any culture and proves some of us have not yet evolved
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 25 July 2018 1:12:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Belly,

Of course it doesn't make it right, and it is part of hill-billy Christian, fundamentalist culture, but I was just pointing out some flaws in my culture. As I am a US citizen it is my culture. It is my country that elected Trump president. At the moment I am very concerned at the condition of my country. I am more worried about the state of my country than I am about Islam. I am more worried about the self-righteous Christian ignorance than I am about Islam. I think it is more reasonable to be concerned about what is in Australia and in the US and recognise the dangers here and there. Some Islamic practices are abhorrent, but we should recognise our own flaws. To me Pauline Hanson, Corey Bernardi and the gang around them are a great danger to democracy and our continued presence in an enlightened world.
Posted by david f, Wednesday, 25 July 2018 1:56:49 PM
I did not know that david f would love to know more, my hopes and dreams are for America's youth the anti gun/mass shooting drive fills me with pride in them,this country in my youth worshipped at the feet of your country maybe we got that wrong but Trump? America PTY LTD has a need for it heart to start beating again
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 25 July 2018 4:00:24 PM
Dear Belly,

I have an Australian wife. When I retired in 1987 she asked me if I would come to Australia. She came to the USA for me, and I came to Australia for her. I am 92 and expect to be around a bit longer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Williams

"Williams was expelled by the Puritan leaders from the Massachusetts Bay Colony for spreading "new and dangerous ideas", and he established the Providence Plantations in 1636 as a refuge offering what he called "liberty of conscience"."

Providence Plantations, later called Rhode Island, was the first unit of government anywhere in the world with separation of religion and state. Williams' ideas have been incorporated in the US Constitution, and I am proud of that as I am about many things in the US. If you want to communicate directly send me your email via Graham Young.
Posted by david f, Wednesday, 25 July 2018 4:47:35 PM
To David F.

Yes you can be respectful, even to those you don't respect their ideals. Being fair and being kind are all that is needed to be respectful, and you can do you this to anyone.

Since you are 92 I would expect you to have the experience to show respect to those you don't get along with, or don't agree with. Being respectful to a boss because he or she is your boss. Being respectful to a plumber, an electrician or anyone else you hire to work for you, because they are doing a service for you. Some possibly doing what you are not knowledgable to do on your own. Being respectful to a kid, because even if they are acting up, they are just a kid, so being fair and kind is what should be done (even when it comes to discipline).

I am none of these things to you, but those kinds of examples I'm sure are in your life and should give you the skills to be respectful to anyone.

(Continued)
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Thursday, 26 July 2018 3:27:05 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All