The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Daryl Maguire is a sick joke.

Daryl Maguire is a sick joke.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
One politician slinging insults across the chamber at another, and vise versa, is rather tut tut when one considers what New South Wales Government MP Liberal Party member Daryl Maguire has done. Magurie is the latest in a long line of NSW politicians exposed by the ICAC.

Magurie told the ICAC he pursued a Mr Hawatt (Canterbury Liberal councillor) on behalf of Chinese "friends" from the company Country Garden who he was trying to help get established in Australia. In a phone conversation played before the inquiry from May 2016, Mr Maguire said his friends were "mega big with mega money" and wanted to invest in as many as 30 development-approved properties.

Hawatt suggested a $48 million project on Canterbury Road in Canterbury (Sydney).
In the phone call, Maguire asks Hawatt what his margin is on the property.
Hawatt replies that his margin is 1.5 per cent.
"1.5 per cent divided by two isn't very good," Maguire says. Two being himself and Hawatt.
"Three per cent is a lot better, if you know what I'm talking about." (On $48 million alone 3% is $1.44 million, not talking small beer are we).
Maguire told the hearing: "It appears I was talking about a dividend."

After being exposed in this way, and a reasonable person would see it as admitted corruption, what has Magurie done, apologised for causing "embarrassment and disappointment to a lot of people" and resigned from the government, but has sat himself on the cross benches, where his stench will be unbearable. Collecting his salary, collecting his lurks and perks.
The approval rate for developments under the NSW Liberal government is over 98%. Draw your own conclusions.

This Magurie character should resign from the parliament, and a by-election held immediately. The next state election in NSW is due in March 2019 when the people can tell this government what they think of it.
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 15 July 2018 8:07:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The real problem is the other elected members who correct me if I am wrong but could have voted him out or had him on charges that would have meant he had to resign.

The elected parliamentarians if they do nothing are why Australia is a joke of a country.
Posted by Philip S, Sunday, 15 July 2018 11:24:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The long term association of NSW politicians - Liberals in particular - with donations from property developers is well-known. There were moves to reduce donations from developers to the Party but the opportunity for personal corruption remains as strong as ever.

I wonder what a Federal ICAC will turn up?
Posted by rache, Monday, 16 July 2018 1:34:40 AM
My side has had its share of filth, an ex NSW leader, business partner to our current Prime Minister Nifty Nev Wran, was a thief, only Sir Robin Askin could maybe match him , think about that!our media knew! but waited till long after both left the place of their crimes GOVERNMENT to tell us! the grub we speak of here was not known ,to us at least, until his phone call, do not get me started on the Obeid filth!if we leave our biases in the bucket at the door, stop using filthy rags like these to score points again *them*, the other side, we may just see why people have had a gutful of politics national ICAC now please with powers to override criminal politicians every time
Posted by Belly, Monday, 16 July 2018 7:20:59 AM
yep the heart of man is deceitful andn corrupt. Greens, Labour, Liberal and Independants included. No surprise!
Posted by runner, Monday, 16 July 2018 10:05:06 AM
The corruption of property developers is an endemic disease of democracy. It has reached his height in the USA where the Mozart of corruption, Trump, is now president.
Posted by david f, Monday, 16 July 2018 11:49:15 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy