The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Bill Shorten Back flip

The Bill Shorten Back flip

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Butch, that is a fair comment; "I just wish more people would vote for the person, not the party." If the swing is on, no matter how good a local member has been, if their seat is in the marginal range they are most unlikely to survive.

Both the Labor and Liberal parties are extremely factionalized. I have met young socially progressive Liberals who have more in common with most Greens, than they do with the conservatives within their own party. Similarly with Labor, where old rusted on's tend to be very conservative in many aspects.
The broad based appeal of a political party is only possible if it is willing to accommodate people of various opinions and ideas. However it is a double edged sward, while being accommodating it can also be divisive, open disunity is death. Labor has suffered disunity over the years, but seems to be going through a quite period on that front at the moment. Its the Liberals tern to suffer disunity, with the conservative faction openly hostile towards the social progressives.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 4 July 2018 6:36:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
rechtub no! in my view that way leads to a hell on earth, look even briefly at our senate look and see the reason I want it removed, at best, any governing party can only please us some times,the two mains are trying to? well not sure what yours is doing but in leaving its true Liberalism behind to pander to a right that is clearly a minority it sheds votes, BUT if every seat had a independent? good lawd the dealing would be horrific, our best plan is to please as many as you can and only our in the end two party system can deliver
We are about to change government, for no other reason than people are not impressed as I once was, with Turnbull, or his controlling faction the right, just a bit too far right of both reality and his party's base,propaganda will be seen as never before, Trump like fake news false claims, in the end the change will still come, if only we had no senate, no means of the minority blackmailing you and me, the majority, but they do, it is that senate
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 4 July 2018 7:03:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As the thread fades away we including me are not as interested in it my parting shot has to be my pick for leader of this government Tony Abbott, it is my view he not Turnbull, should face Shorten in the election, but then again my interests are in the Labor camp.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 4 July 2018 4:45:31 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy