The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > the purpose of any political party is to ...

the purpose of any political party is to ...

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I'm going to be running as an independent in NSW for the Senate, and I'm interested in furthering this conversation.

I've decided to run as an independent, not because I think the party system is inherently corrupt (though some of its players may be) but because I don't see a party that represents my world view.

I am under no illusion as to the chances I have, or the effectiveness I will have if by some miracle I am elected but the balance of power is held by either of the major parties. At the worst I can be voice for those who don't feel they have one in the parliament.
Posted by James Purser, Friday, 20 July 2007 7:07:15 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well James

I will be running as an independent for the house of reps.

I had been working on a new party which is for the people and the party the best way to say would be a collective of independents.

Not to worry about that now.

My email is swulrich@bigpond.net.au if you wish to talk more.

Stu
Posted by tapp, Friday, 20 July 2007 8:39:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So Demos I’m also not sure what you are saying. And we in Australia have a word for those who have the temerity to suggest that they are smarter than everyone else. I wonder if you are advocating direct democracy or just plain old anarchy?

If it really needed to be made any more clear why citizens don’t have a vote on absolutely every law and motion I can help you out.

If anyone could put up a law/motion and everybody had to vote on it, no one would have time to even breathe.

Second the direction of the nation would be totally unpredictable as the average person has the attention span of a small child. Just look at how popular big brother is. Depending upon who voted that day policies would be reversed and then reversed again.

Third, as a nation we would be total reactionaries, since only those things that were of current concern would ever get recognition. I think that those for whom you weep, like terrorist suspects, would get an even worse reception than they currently get. Are Osama Bin Laden, Mohammed Atta and Amorosi patsies chosen by the west?

Fourth if we had no representatives, no group action could ever be undertaken, like policing, utilities such as gas and water and electricity as there would be no one to organise them

I could go on but I realise that I am wasting my time. It is clear that you have never lived anywhere that your rights really were curtailed. That you could even pretend to compare Australia with a police state indicates this.

If your advocating anarchy then you shouldn’t even be using the web since it is clearly a restriction on the manner in which you communicate
Posted by Paul.L, Saturday, 21 July 2007 12:42:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A properly functioning democratic governmental system is likely to have a government made up of persons delegated to make decisions on issues for us; However such representation is pointless whilst we are unable to instruct our representatives from time to time on specific issues.

Lack of committment amongst our politicians towards democracy and democratic process is clear where such contentious issues are NOT presented on ballot papers for citizens to decide the issue.

Is rubbish to suggest voting for a candidate to represent you for three years is the same as voting to determine a particular issue.

Contentious issues, as arise from time to time are such as involvment in Vietnam or Iraq, conscription, sale of Telstra1/2/3, development of nuclear power stations...

Takes only one determined House of the Parliament - Reps or Senate, to force an issue to ballot paper for the electorate to determine, yet rarely is it exercised.

Most likely reason is our politicians not wishing to be bound by any instructions except those that suit them...

Posted by polpak, Saturday, 21 July 2007 3:19:50 PM
Who decides what a contentious issue is? Everything is contentious to someone as evidenced in this discussion and others on OLO.

What about when an issue is voted up but only a quarter of the people voted. When everyone else finds out should it be revoted on? I mean they might say the voting was contentious.

How do we deal with everyone else in the world. Do we say, well we can't really give you an answer on that; we have to poll the people.

Do you have any idea how much it would cost to ask the people for every single descision.

No one could deal with the gov't since it is entirelyly possible that the people will just change their mind in the meantime.

Populism would rule the day. politicians are populist enough without having to pander to an ill informed public on a daily basis.

I mean politicians get full briefings on issues. The public would need real briefings if they were to make an informed choice. People wouldn't have time for anything else in that situation
Posted by Paul.L, Saturday, 21 July 2007 8:48:12 PM
James what do you think of this party:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/sustainability-party/sustainability-party.html
Posted by freediver, Monday, 23 July 2007 12:43:43 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy