The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Unions call for secure jobs, too little, too late, you can't say you were not warned.

Unions call for secure jobs, too little, too late, you can't say you were not warned.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
the massive increase in Government at all levels where many(not all) are well overpaid has been paid for by small business's. Government workers now have massives amount of leave, higher superuannation than most and almost have to kill someone or speak against homosexuality to get the sack. The average man pays for all this.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 13 June 2018 5:03:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
profits rose as a proportion of GDP.
Aidan,
I'd be more incined to believe profits rose due to tax loopholes.
I agree with Belly on his take on the multinationals, but that's where the unions have failed us also. Instead of just going for higher wages they should take industrial action to force Government to make changes to the Tax system. Just about every Australian would join a union if they promised to act on that & get away from Labor.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 13 June 2018 5:06:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
individual,
I, and I think the majority of Australians, would very strongly oppose private sector workers taking "industrial action" against the government. I do not want the unions holding the government to ransom. And your obsession with getting away from Labor is quite illogical, as such changes to the tax system are more likely to be made under Labor.

I think your inclined conclusion that profits rising as a proportion of GDP is due to tax loopholes is quite unlikely. I'm no accountant, but I'd expect such tax loopholes to also depress the GDP figure.

You have certainly had some bad experiences with unions, and with reps like that it's no surprise how much their membership had declined. But your main criticism of unions seems quite baffling to me - for it accurately describes the 'dinosaur' unions of Britain, but not the Australian unions. Because in Australia they generally do consider the consequences of their actions and seek solutions that benefit the employers as well as the employees. AIUI most pay rises are productivity related.
Posted by Aidan, Thursday, 14 June 2018 1:53:50 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aiden, how does a machine, that replaces workers, make workers more productive.

Of cause the worker that gets to operate the machine produces more work, but at the cost of other workers jobs/shifts. I'm baffled!

As for debt, if it is so serviceable, as you claim, why then has it not gone down?

Of cause we can keep printing money, but it is my understanding that to print money, one has to put up security. Or are you suggesting we just keep printing money forever. Would that not make $1000 worth 50 cents in time?
Posted by rehctub, Thursday, 14 June 2018 7:22:11 AM
As for debt, if it is so serviceable, as you claim, why then has it not gone down?
rechtub,
You should put that question to QLD Treasurer Jackie Trad.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 14 June 2018 7:24:05 AM
do not want the unions holding the government to ransom
Aidan,
The opposition doesn't do it's job so who better than a Union not aligned with any political party to be the watchdog over a Government to keep it accountable ? Lesser Govt fees & chatges are really a no brainer to get costs back to an internationally competitive level.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 14 June 2018 7:28:26 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy