The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > A New Dimension to Paedophilia Prosecution

A New Dimension to Paedophilia Prosecution

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All
What are the ramifications for the Catholic Church, and others, following the land mark decision of the Newcastle Magistrates Court to find a most senior cleric, the Catholic Archbishop of Adelaide Philip Wilson guilty of covering up child sexual abuse by a fellow priest. Although there is no evidence that Wilson was involved directly in pedophilia, he is looking at a possible two year jail term for his failure to inform authorities of the actions of the notorious pedophile priest James Fletcher. Wilson’s lack of action on the matter was most likely triggered by a misguided belief that he had to protect the so called good name of the church.
The implications of this decision is that it could see many of the Catholic hierarchy in Australia and elsewhere, this decision has made world wide news, heading to court to face similar charges. The Catholic Church fought a strenuous and expensive legal battle to defeat this persecution. They lost, and are now on notice that much of the Church leadership is under threat of new prosecutions for a different crime, the crime of failing to act and inform. Some of Wilson’s parishioners were angry at the decisions, believing he has been badly treated by the court. What do you think?
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 24 May 2018 5:32:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am more interested in the ramifications for justice. Like everybody else, I don't have a clue whether Wilson sat on complaints about sexual crimes or not. I just do not understand how a court could find the man guilty when there is no evidence. He might have been told by of incidents by alleged victims. He said he doesn't remember (he has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's). Even if he did remember, but said he didn't, surely it is just one person's word against another's? It was all a long, long time ago.

Kiddy fiddling is vile. But this court case is a miscarriage of justice in my view.

Surprised that you think the Catholics have been 'persecuted' Paul :).
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 24 May 2018 10:03:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul,

"Surprised that you think the Catholics have been 'persecuted' Paul :)."

Slip of the finger or a repressed love of Catholicism or need of a Grammarly free subscription?
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 24 May 2018 11:03:55 AM
Catholic officials in the hierarchy have already been convicted of covering up pedophilia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_abuse_scandal_in_the_Roman_Catholic_Archdiocese_of_Philadelphia
Posted by david f, Thursday, 24 May 2018 11:07:53 AM
david f,

I know. So what's your point? Were there also miscarriages of justice in those cases? I'm not interested enough to plough through them. I commented on this case only because Wilson was bisop in Adelaide, my city. He was tried in NSW because that state is the only one where there is a law that could pursue him, apparently. That's something I found out only last night, by the way; I have no particular interest in the Catholic church or paedophilia, just in this particular case. I don't know Wilson, but I have always found his public persona unlikeable. Justice and this particular court finding is my only care.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 24 May 2018 11:39:10 AM
Is Mise,

It would be a bit of fun if Paul was a closet Catholic, wouldn't it?
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 24 May 2018 11:40:41 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy