The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Aboriginal Housing in remote areas etc.

Aboriginal Housing in remote areas etc.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
"2018-19 Budget: Remote Indigenous
housing in the Northern Territory

The Australian Government announced $550 million over five years ($110 per annum) to support remote housing in Indigenous Communities across the Northern Territory.
This funding will be matched by the Northern Territory Government.

This funding will commence in 2018-19 and be provided through a five year bilateral agreement with the Northern Territory Government.

The Northern Territory Government will retain responsibility for housing sub-lease arrangements for the five-year period.
The Australian Government will focus on ensuring Aboriginal people and key stakeholders such as Land Councils are at the heart of investment including through governance arrangements and that local
people receive significant employment and business opportunities."
http://www.pmc.gov.au/sites/default/files/publications/budget-fact-sheet-remote-housing.pdf

Have we heard something like this before?
Before?
Before?
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 10 May 2018 2:44:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Is Mise,

Why do you do this mate? Is it just some pent up bitterness that someone might get a bit more than you in some form?

The NT has 12% of the country's homeless. From the budget there is $4.6 billion going toward social and homeless housing nation wide over the next 3 years. From what you are claiming the NT will get $330 million over the same period which represents about 7% of the funding.

Why shouldn't it be more?
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 10 May 2018 11:07:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
About 15 years ago, friend of mine worked in NT lots of new houses were built for the Aborigines new furnishings and appliances.

After a few months nearly all were wrecked.

Help the ones who want to get out, leave the deadbeats where they are happy.
Posted by Philip S, Thursday, 10 May 2018 11:08:22 PM
Steele,

I'm merely putting something up for discussion, but I do believe that we've been down this handout path before.

I know people who have worked in the Indigenous housing sector and it is as Philip said, only worse if anything.

Mind you not only in NT are houses trashed.
A friend was a Housing Commission Inspector in NSW and in a Sydney suburb, Fairfield, he got a bit suspicious of a house that never had the front blinds open (this was in the days before marijuana); an inspection revealed that the two front rooms were a small mushroom farm, not in pots but on the floorboards (white Aussie family).
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 11 May 2018 9:05:55 AM
Dear Is Mise,

Seeing as you want this topic discussed, here's a link
that does that - including showing us where some of
the problems may lie. Worth a read, in my opinion:

http://theconversation.com/factcheck-qanda-is-30-billion-spent-every-year-on-500-000-indigenous-people-in-australia-64658
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 11 May 2018 10:25:38 AM
need to teach aborigines to respect gifts before building more to be destroyed. The house a few doors up from me has had to be renovated rebuilt on average once a year for many years. This is very commonplace where free housing is given to aboriginals. Regressives never have the courage to confront the mess they create.
Posted by runner, Friday, 11 May 2018 10:33:36 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy