The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is Australia a classless society?

Is Australia a classless society?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Foxy,

Back home I'm in the Aged Class,
the class for caravan towers is "Road Obstructors" !
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 25 April 2018 3:43:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Is Mise,

Thank You for explaining about the Indian mark on the
forehead. I remember going to a costume party where I
wore an Indian sari and I added an exotic mark on my
forehead that came with the costume. Well, I got so
many stares that night. Now I'm beginning to understand
why. I'm still not sure what that mark on my forehead stood
for. It just looked exotic. Or so I thought.

I don't believe that you belong to the "aged class."
You? Never! You're far too active.
I loved your definition of "grey nomad" caravan towers.
I'll have to tell my brother.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 25 April 2018 4:04:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Here's an interesting link on classes in Australia:

http://www.quora.com/How-do-you-know-if-someone-is-upper-class-in-Australia
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 25 April 2018 4:07:03 PM
It looks like this discussion is not going anywhere.
Thanks for those who did contribute.

http://www.com.au/entertainment/tv/current-affairs/the-class-divide-in-australia-what-it-means-to-be-rich-or-poor/news-story/a802ecd71716ef145a0bdcbd800b2f5f
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 26 April 2018 11:23:01 AM
ooops sorry for my typo:

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/current-affairs/the-class-divide-in-australia-what-it-means-to-be-rich-or-poor/news-story/a802ecd71716ef145a0bdcbd800b2f5f
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 26 April 2018 11:26:35 AM
Dear Is Mise,

«When I'm in India I get classified automatically, I'm considered Kshatrya, which is the highest of the four basic caste groups, it is the ruling or military caste.»

Kshatriyas are indeed the ruling and military caste, but it is only the second-highest - the highest class are Brahamins, which are the learned and spiritual leaders, but not worldly leaders: Brahamins have no interest in ruling and politics. Kshatriya rulers respect the Brahamins and wash their feet and in return they receive their blessings and advice, if asked.

Classes are a natural phenomena, thus no artificial efforts can eradicate classes. It is never shameful to belong to a lower class, nor a valid pretext for pride to belong to a higher class - we all start at the bottom and work our way up in subsequent births, we all were there at the bottom and we all shall eventually reach the top, then transcend it altogether.

India's bitter error was to assume that people are necessarily born into their parents' class and must remain there.
Although there is a significant correlation between one's class and one's parents' class, this relation is by no means absolute and over several generations it fades completely.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 26 April 2018 8:12:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy