The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > THE QUEEN WANTS PRINCE CHARLES TO SUCCEED HER!

THE QUEEN WANTS PRINCE CHARLES TO SUCCEED HER!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Issy Price Dill is Phil, not Charlie.

"Gibraltar is a promontory" I knew that, you can walk from Spain to Gibraltar and not get your feet wet. You can't make a "Gibraltar monkey" of me.

Foxy, I've got nothing against women's mags, just being my irresponsible self on this topic. I have little interest in the goings on with the British royal family.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 2 May 2018 6:39:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Paul,

Fair enough.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 2 May 2018 7:09:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy, that is not to say I would not vote for a republic tomorrow. I find it repugnant that other human beings should be glorified, and worshiped in some strange way as the monarchy is. I hold no belief in the superior entitlement through birth of others, the so called royalty of some. I am too much of an egalitarian to accept that mystical nonsense. In my eyes all human beings are born equal, some earn respect and admiration, through actions and deeds, but none are born superior.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 2 May 2018 10:58:16 PM
Dear Paul,

I don't think that the Monarchy is "worshipped." I think
rather than using the word "worship" perhaps a better
term would be "affection." And I personally don't object
to having a Head of State who is above politics.

Most people are involved with celebrity culture in some
form. Americans especially. Take - the Kennedy, the Bush,
the Clinton, the Roosevelt (back in their day) dynasties. And
possibly soon to be the Trump dynasty?

Many people are more thrilled to meet the Queen and are far
less impressed with the current British PM - T. May.

Then also you have the thrill that people get out of having
titles bestowed upon them like - Sir Richard Branson, Sir
Tom Jones, Dame J. Dench, Helen Mirren, Sir Elton John,
and the list goes on.

Funny world we live in.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 3 May 2018 11:17:38 AM
Foxy,

Much as I admire the Monarchy as an institution, some of the past Monarchs have been right royal pratts.

I have a title myself, a minor one, but I don't use it, except when in Britain when it comes in handy especially for getting bookings; ranging from British Rail to the Ballet.

Some Poms have built in deference.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 3 May 2018 11:57:51 AM
Hi Foxy, I did not mean "worshipped" in the literal sense, rather some kind of cult worship of something which in reality is not warranted. Affection, people have affection for their dogs and cats so I suppose they can have affection for people whose persona is possible a distortion contrived by the popular media, there's those women's mags again.
Take this example, Camilla wife of Charles, is generally held in low regard, whilst Catherine wife of William is held in much higher esteem by the royal lovers. This is simply a creation of the popular media, and may well be a distortion of reality.

On a personal level, we are about to be presented with three new mokopuna, grandchildren, but not in the European sense of the word, there mothers are nieces, one a grand niece Hiamoe (Wendy), but in Maori culture those children have a similar status to ones direct grandchildren. This will make 11 direct, plus I don't know how many indirect. The two in Sydney have asked that Auntie represent their own mothers, one has passed on, one is in NZ at the births, which are due in June, July and in Brisbane in August. More exciting than celebrity culture for us.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 3 May 2018 12:11:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy