The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Defend your own view. A challenge for those who only critize other people's posts.

Defend your own view. A challenge for those who only critize other people's posts.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
Well, it wasn’t a throwaway line, NathanJ.

<<Was this well defined as a point, something put very simplistically, something very general or a throw away line?>>

Possibly a “well-defined” one, depending on what exactly you mean by that.

<<This unfortunately leaves people who may wish to put forward a position, opinion or viewpoint in an environment full of excessive and petty questioning …>>

Personally, I can’t remember ever seeing “excessive and petty questioning” on OLO. I think you might be getting a little precious there. I have, however, seen the logic behind, the veracity of, or the factualness of many claims put to the test, and this can only be a good thing. There are some very easy ways to avoid butthurt when on the receiving end of this:

1. Withhold forming an opinion until you have all the facts;
2. Even when you believe you have all the facts, express your opinion carefully and cautiously;
3. Remain open to the possibility of being wrong and convey this through your language;
4. Start discussions by simply asking what others think about something without colouring the tone of the discussion from the get go with your own biases.

<<That's your own spin on this topic and completely irrelevant here.>>

I made it clear that that was my experience. I even provided an example to prove it. There was no spin involved.

If those who do not start discussion threads are attacked or ridiculed for not doing so, then my point was utterly relevant. You don’t get to claim otherwise just because it makes you feel uncomfortable. You need to provide reasoning as to why my point was irrelevant. You have not done this.

<<So I'm making a judgement and ruling that one out of order.>>

How arrogant of you to take that upon yourself. You are not the arbiter of this thread. Even if you were, the level butthurt experienced by yourself should not come into play.

<<A new discussion post on this website, will not see the website crash or fall apart.>>

No one has suggested that it would.
Posted by AJ Philips, Friday, 6 April 2018 9:03:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
AC,

I didn't say you had, and I agree that you have not. I said that laughing AT people for saying something which could be regarded as wrong is humiliating and, if you want to 'turn' them, humiliation is not the way to go. Mind you, most people never change their opinions anyway, so I suppose anything goes; although just ignoring people is generally better than upsetting them - and yourself - for no tangible reason.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 6 April 2018 10:23:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hello Not_Now.Soon,

My point having new discussion posts put forward, is to see others put a position forward. That's what I'm questioning. Those who don't wish to go down this pathway, that's their choice, but will easily set their own essentially 'guidelines' like what comes across re the following:

I could set these as guidelines, where one shall/shall not:

1. Withhold forming an opinion until you have all the facts;
2. Even when you believe you have all the facts, express your opinion carefully and cautiously;
3. Remain open to the possibility of being wrong and convey this through your language;
4. Start discussions by simply asking what others think about something without colouring the tone of the discussion from the get go with your own biases.

So having an discussion with some can be extremely difficult, because some are expecting individuals to live up to set standards, and if these people don't they will be questioned excessively, including some of which is overly petty and I stand by that. The discussion on any overall discussion posted, can then be predictable and somewhat limiting.

This is where I encourage people, to put forward a new discussion on this page, leading to more balanced discussion on this website and see some people, putting a viewpoint forward, that they actually believe in or accept as fact.

For those who don't start new discussion posts, these people don't have the opportunity to 'defend their own views', because I simply I don't know they are, regarding a broader range of issues as they simply respond to those who put forward new discussion posts regularly.

I'm not uncomfortable, if others do not post new discussions on this page. What makes me feel uncomfortable, is that someone would even suggest that in the firstplace.

Finally, regarding 'spin', Politicians do this a lot. It can involve putting out one line sentences or selectively attacking and questioning others who they disagree with. It's a very easy thing to do, rather than putting forward, a clear, precise and new discussion point, via this website for example.
Posted by NathanJ, Friday, 6 April 2018 11:40:04 AM
I think people should rejoice in their own limitations as long as they avoid depressing others with the reality their presence brings.
Posted by Special Delivery, Saturday, 7 April 2018 5:58:50 PM
If humility is seen as a good thing; to cause one to reflect on their own words or actions, then why should humiliation (to cause humility) be seen as a bad thing?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 17 April 2018 12:55:02 AM
To Armchair Critic. You said,

[If humility is seen as a good thing; to cause one to reflect on their own words or actions, then why should humiliation (to cause humility) be seen as a bad thing?]

Humility is not just reflection of their words or actions. It's more of a not thinking that you are better then others. Somethimes humility is about seeing others as better then you, but at the very least it's about not raising your own self image up. Also could be counted as being the opposite of arrogance.

Humiliation on the other hand isn't about making others humble. It's about drop kicking someone down a notch. Even to kick them while their down. If this is all a person has to offer, and nothing they positively support, then they have nothing of value to offer. Instead act as an erosion on other people. Only to humilate and tare people down.

An erosion, a poison. Not a positive attribute to help them be humble or to grow.
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Tuesday, 17 April 2018 2:33:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy