The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Shorten to exempt pensioners from losing franking credits

Shorten to exempt pensioners from losing franking credits

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
This has to be one of the most obnoxious vote-buying strategies we've seen.

His proposed pensioner guarantee indicates the withholding tax that company tax represents to Australian taxpayers will be passed on as franking credits to pensioners but not to self-funded retirees. Either that or he'll recompense them for what they lose. Whatever, it's unfair treatment and it sucks, if it didn't already without this measure.

I feel like a mug for saving the public from being responsible for any part of my survival into retirement through sacrifices I made to be independent.

My advice to the young, work the system and don't let yourself be an easy target for pollies who'll buy power in a phony class war with your money.
Posted by Luciferase, Tuesday, 27 March 2018 3:57:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I would say - Desperate vote-buying.
Posted by Philip S, Tuesday, 27 March 2018 5:20:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Read economist Peter Smith's article in Quadrant Online today to get to the truth of Shorten's stupidity. It seems that the rich would come out on top, as usual.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 27 March 2018 7:41:30 PM
ttbn,

Bill ain't short of a quid or two either, and he's got some rich mates.
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 27 March 2018 9:09:47 PM
That's right, Is Mise. Labor no longer cares about about pensioners and workers, if they ever did. I was reading earlier tonight about that paragon of the unions and ex-PM, Bob Hawke, being worth $50 million.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 27 March 2018 10:19:59 PM
And despite his obvious stupidity he is likely to be the next PM.

I guess after seeing that the yanks, even after 4 years of seeing how incompetent, & how anti the US Obama was, could re-elect him, we can't expect anything better here.

Of course we don't have anything even vaguely worth electing, so no choice I suppose.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 28 March 2018 3:50:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy