The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Put the Olympic Games permanantly back in Greece?

Put the Olympic Games permanantly back in Greece?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Given the article on Spinning the smoke and mirrors then what about
returning the Olympic Games permanantly to a site in Greece. World class facilities could be set up and used all year round. There would be no squabbling over "who" gets the games or "how" they get them. It would reduce corruption and, who knows, it might even free up some money to reduce drug use.
Of course without drug enhanced performances athletes would soon cease breaking records of any sort but logic suggests that this will have to stop sooner or later anyway - unless someone can find a way of people breaking records in negative time.
Seriously though - is there something to be said for setting up a permanant Olympics venue?
Posted by Communicat, Friday, 13 July 2007 4:00:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I thought the idea of the modern olympic games was to foster international harmony through healthy interraction, competition and cultural exchange.
The idea of spreading it across the globe to reinforce these ideals is what the Modern olympics stands for.
Posted by Goddess, Friday, 13 July 2007 5:15:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Given the back biting, arguments, political intrigue, vast costs (which put many countries forever out of the running) and bribery not to say drug abuse wouldn't these ideals be better managed in one spot where they could be focussed on?
Posted by Communicat, Saturday, 14 July 2007 8:10:47 AM
Dear Communicat, you are a genius!! China doesn't deserve the Olympics. Ever since China won the right to host the Games, human rights has deteriorated. My countryman is suffering because of the impending Games. Families had been forcibly removed from their homes without compensation. Human rights and outspoken journalists are already been locked up as the ruling Communist Regime has much to hide and everything to lose as the whole world is going to descend on them. No matter what their crimes against humanity will be exposed. The illegal "organ-harvesting" of the much persecuted Falun Gong group is just the tip of the iceberg. Falun Gong (aka Falun Dafa) is an ancient Chinese cultivation practice that benefits both the mind and body. They abide by the basic universal principles of truth, compassion and forbearance. Yet they have been horrendously persecuted for the last 8 years. I wonder who don't get persecuted in China these days. Even members of the Communist Party itself, if you dare cross the line. Take the 2008 Olympics away from China and put it back in Greece. C'mon everybody, let's do something about it.
Posted by Hong, Sunday, 15 July 2007 1:40:16 AM
There is something to be said for this viewpoint.What has the OLympics done for Sydney?NSW is vergiing on bankruptcy and we have fallen from the number one city for tourism to number 5.

Whilst in Gemany many years ago,a German in Munich said to me,"Never get the Olympic Games,it will send you broke.Don't believe a word of what they tell you."
Posted by Arjay, Sunday, 15 July 2007 1:41:08 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hong, I'd love to do something about it. I think a lot of other people would too. Do boycotts work? I am not sure they do.
We have permanent venues for a number of things so why not the Olympic Games?
Sydney should never have had the Games either...as a nation we could not afford the immense cost and NSW has suffered ever since.
Oh and the terrorists are out to spoil London's turn so we really ought to start thinking about whether the Games have a future. With a permanent venue they might survive otherwise I rather doubt it.
Posted by Communicat, Sunday, 15 July 2007 4:51:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy