The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > You have the power to change our world

You have the power to change our world

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
It is important to see all citizens as producers who can positively contribute to the wider community, not lifeless robots who simply undertake a certain activity and receive a payment.

To move beyond that, residential, business, community groups and all levels of government need to want positive change, for people today and for future generations.

Many people don't undertake reflection and their lives remain the same, day in and day out. Each day is passing away when individuals have the opportunity to make positive change, not just for themselves but for the wider community.

At present, around Australia volunteering can be below 30% in some communities and some community groups are folding. This is where people can make a difference within Australia and worldwide.

You have the power to change our world, change your own world and really make a difference to the local community you live in and beyond, but will you take up the challenge?
Posted by NathanJ, Sunday, 4 March 2018 3:14:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"At present, around Australia volunteering can be below 30% in some communities and some community groups are folding. This is where people can make a difference within Australia and worldwide."

Volunteers often do jobs that are the responsibility of Government and thus contribute to unemployment.

One example, volunteer gardening groups who are let loose by councils to beautify nature strips along Highways within a council area, this is properly the responsibility of councils but the more flowerbeds and trees that are planted the less grass it is responsible for keeping cut.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 5 March 2018 11:59:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Volunteerism is often more about the volunteers than the people they claim to be helping. Bit of the old look-at-me syndrome. Get on the ladder to Heaven stuff. I find volunteers a bit on the oily side. I make exceptions for the likes of the CFS, whom I greatly admire.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 5 March 2018 1:13:35 PM
Dear Nathan,

As a volunteer, you end up getting so much out of
what you do, as well as hopefully making a difference
to other people's lives. As you probably know my
mother was in the dementia wing of a nursing home.
I worked part-time there as a volunteer. I got to know
the residents there as well as their families. They all
became like family to me. I tried very hard to be a positive
influence. Mum passed away peacefully on Australia Day this
year. I did not go back for a while, but found that I
missed the people so much. I am now back there once again.
The staff have told me how much I was missed (and my positive
vibe, apparently). I love working with the residents - and
as I stated earlier - I like to think that just by being
there, talking to them, sharing stories, music, laughter,
I hope that I do make a difference to them. They certainly
enrich my life, that's for sure.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 5 March 2018 1:26:57 PM
<<Volunteerism is often more about the volunteers than the people they claim to be helping.>>

ttbn, I will be voting informally at this years South Australian state election. Why? The election in South Australia has been dull and insulting to the public.

Quite frankly I feel I can add a lot more to the community I live in than a State Government ever can or will.

And guess what? I'm not costing the taxpayer!
Posted by NathanJ, Monday, 5 March 2018 1:51:18 PM
Nathan,

You can vote or not as you wish. The election – I presume you mean the campaigning – certainly has been 'dull and insulting to the public'. Campaigns always are. But, what has that got to do with volunteering, and what you are not costing the taxpayer? Are you saying that you are a volunteer. If so, good luck to you. And, just what are you 'adding to the community'. What do you volunteer at?
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 5 March 2018 2:22:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy