The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is there Greenland ice melt, and is it due to global warming?

Is there Greenland ice melt, and is it due to global warming?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 19
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. Page 22
  10. 23
  11. 24
  12. All
Tony153, I'm sorry if I gave you the impression I'm up with science. No I'm not. I, like the rest of the rocking chair 'scientists' on OLO get our info from snippets of news, or things we just pick up along the way, not to mention having lived through a long enough period where we feel we can somewhat contribute to a particular topic. As for quoting people from long ago. I don't have a lot of time for forecasters and predictors. They cannot see or calculate things in the future. There are to many variables going forward. I mean one good volcanic blow, one good sized meteor hit, and so on, and the numbers must change. So I cannot believe these figures from long ago. I would however put them in a similar group as Nostradamus. He is still getting away with it by quoting very hazy predictions and the 'followers' just fill in what they want to see. Tony I am a skeptic, but I'm also a realist. I am pragmatic and not prone to just accepting something because someone said so. I don't know, maybe I'm just human.
Posted by ALTRAV, Saturday, 10 March 2018 5:50:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The scientists referenced from the 1800s explored very simple science compared with today. Even you could use a prism to separate various solar colours. With a thermometer, you can effectively measure the energy transmitted in each colour band. With the same thermometer you can identify the invisible infrared band. With a little bit bmuilding, you can fill a glass container with carbon dioxide. Put it in the beam of infra red radiation. Use thermometer to measure amount of heat energy not transmitted through container, because of IR radiation scattering. Voila, you have proven CO2 is a greenhouse gas.

Easy.

But, I get the distinct impression you are in GrahamY s group. No matter what the science says, your role is to not give any indication that CC is real and dangerous. I notice GrahamY left this conversation, under his real name, and is probably contributing under a pseudonym. Perhaps you are the elusive editor of this site.

I can see writing, even though you understood all that said, you would find the words to call it fake science.
Posted by Tony153, Saturday, 10 March 2018 8:22:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tony153, No,No, I would not be so impudent. I simply don't understand the science. Even your explanation just now, I can see that you understand it. I just don't get the interaction between different mediums. No, where I stand is not the science but how can we be sure of the findings so far back in time. Why was CO2 even a thing back then?
I question things like forecasting and predictions as we don't know exactly what stands before us. And of course I personally do not see how certain predictions can be realised, such as the rise in ocean levels. I will not move on that one unless I see some real evidence of it happening and not predictions and forecasts.
Posted by ALTRAV, Saturday, 10 March 2018 9:06:40 PM
ALTRAV,
Just look at Miami where streets are flooding at high tide, and flooding is getting worse with time. CC intimately involved.
Posted by Tony153, Saturday, 10 March 2018 9:14:22 PM
ALTRAV,
Why CO2? Excellent question.
Why do you breath?
Why do you eat?

Your body, and that of most living things, is basically made of carbon. What you eat is basically carbon. Our living world, animal, plants etc are basically carbon.

You breath to take in oxygen. Within your body, carbon and oxygen combine to make CO2, plus Energy. Carbon in fossil fuels is basically carbon from which we get energy for transport and much more, when combining carbon and oxygen to make CO2.

The amount of CO2 in the atmosphere reflects the amount of energy we need. More people, demands for more energy per person, the more CO2 into the atmosphere, and oceans. And CO2 stays in the atmosphere for a very long time, and CO2 is affectively a blanket, warming the earth. Increasing CO2, increasing warming of air and ocean, leading to heat waves, stronger extreme events, droughts, ecosystem change, acidic oceans, glacier melting, uncontrolled tipping points - once things like glacier and ice plateau starts melting we could, and probly already have, passed melting tipping points. Meaning even if we cant reduce atmospheric CO2, which we can’t, ice melting continues with no stopping. The Arctic is most probably on a one way journey to no ice. It is feared that Anarctica is following suit. Towns in mountainous valleys are finding that complete glacier loss at the tops of their valleys is resulting in no essential melt water in summer. Millions of Africans realising that centuries old farming practices no longer work because of CC. Millions moving north .... Long term drought in Euphrates valley caused millions to move to cities in Syria - but no gov help. Leading to uprising. Etc etc etc
Posted by Tony153, Saturday, 10 March 2018 9:43:40 PM
Dear mhaze,

Happy to do this again.

You asserted;

“At no time have I ever said global warming is not occurring.”

But you had have written;

“after a decade of zero warming and now that we are entering a multi-decade cooling period, it is the so-called denialists who are saying "told you so". Its just that you can't hear us because you're too busy listening to false prophets.”

I think when you refer to 'us denialists' so emphatically then you shouldn't object to being called out for having been one.

And how is that multi-decade cooling period going?

So we are left with two choices here; accept you are a lying hound too embarrassed to own up when you have been so utterly wrong about something or, that you have talked yourself into believing you never had any doubts about global warming in the first place. Either one strips you substantially of credibility on this issue.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Saturday, 10 March 2018 10:00:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 19
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. Page 22
  10. 23
  11. 24
  12. All