The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Would you attend an 'Atheist church'?

Would you attend an 'Atheist church'?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. All
I was recently interested to read about what I would consider at a basic level an "Atheist Church".

According to the website: http://adelaide.sundayassembly.com/

"The Sunday Assembly is a godless congregation that celebrate life. Our motto: live better, help often, wonder more. Our mission: to help everyone find and fulfill their full potential. Our vision: a godless congregation in every town, city and village that wants one."

Some Atheists though are very upset with this organisation that now exists. Its message is positive, put in a sense of humour, fun and includes light-hearted discussion.

This, compared to a strong provision that some feel that the Sunday Assembly should really be out to prove that God does not exist, religion has no value, elements of the Bible aren't true and other religions and their basis of existence are questionable.

Is the Sunday Assembly to light with core values or beliefs? Is its vision too simplistic? Will it be under constant attack from others? Has it been in existence long enough to develop a strong base to operate? Will it fall apart from within? Does it have a positive role in society?

What do people think?
Posted by NathanJ, Thursday, 15 February 2018 12:20:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Nathan,

I'm not very good at joining things. And if I was
an atheist - I imagine that I
would not need to belong to any group. I can't imagine
joining an "atheist church."
I would prefer to go it alone. Still, we're all
different - and individually, I guess, as long as we're
not doing any harm or hurting anybody - it's up to the
individual to decide where they belong (or not).
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 15 February 2018 5:15:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You would obviously need to throw away your brains to listen to such irrational garbage that the god deniers spit out.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 15 February 2018 5:22:55 PM
If I was invited to go I might. Who knows. I might be able to invite the person who suggested it back to my church.

Outside of that though, I've already got a church I go to and the weekends are usually something that ai value greatly for what I spend time on, or my time to lay low and relax so to be better throughout the work wee.

On that note, I'm sad to hear the reason many atheists don't like the idea of an atheist church. Like minded people who want to provide a resource for their community and do good. That should be something all people aspire to be part of. Atheist don't have to agree on everything but they seem to identify with eachother so much by what they don't believe in. So having a get together for building up the community is an aspect they should embrace. Least they notice that the community needs religion because no one else will care to help.

The cause for advancing atheism doesn't sound like a church. The way it sounds that some atheists want seems more like an anti theist militia.
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Thursday, 15 February 2018 6:35:21 PM
I am sure the hymn writer will shut his/her eyes while writing about how nothing or the chance god brought this great creation into being. Then they can do penance for all the emissions they use up flying the globe while preaching the gw fantasy.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 15 February 2018 7:19:14 PM
You would have to be very soft in the head to get together with other people to .... what? .... discuss something you don't believe in? Daft!
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 16 February 2018 7:46:43 AM
Hi Nathan,

I suspect that most of us atheists are sort of pantheists like Spinoza - many of us believe that godlessness is beautiful and we see it in everything. Everything is 'wonder-full', amazing, and completely free of the need for any god or gods. The world is a miracle as it is, so there is simply no need to explain it via some god or gods (which, in turn, would need explaining).

The universe has existed forever, probably not in its present form, perhaps in an infinite number of forms and combinations: perhaps we've been through Big Bangs an incalculable number of times, each many billions of years apart.

We are surrounded by life, and yet we're the only species which is conscious of the need to devise some sense of purpose to it all. The real world is complicated and wondrous enough not to need any extra involvement of some conjured-up being to stick his/her oar in.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 16 February 2018 9:09:54 AM
//The cause for advancing atheism doesn't sound like a church. The way it sounds that some atheists want seems more like an anti theist militia.//

http://adelaide.sundayassembly.com/about/

Yeah, gosh, they sound really militant. [sarcasm]

Western Christians are such a delicate bunch. A few atheists start organising get-togethers, and immediately they feel so threatened that it's time to start manning the barricades against the perceived persecution by the besieging atheists. One wonders how they'd cope if they ever had to face any actual persecution.

Still, it's nice to see some crusty old fundies so rattled by this idea. It suggests to me they're worried this thing might just take off, and then where would they be?
Posted by Toni Lavis, Friday, 16 February 2018 9:17:03 AM
Atheist church?

Kinda missing the point.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 16 February 2018 12:09:34 PM
'Still, it's nice to see some crusty old fundies so rattled by this idea. It suggests to me they're worried this thing might just take off, and then where would they be?'

personally not concerned at all Toni. With such pride filled irrational high priest their is no chance of success. Their egos will not allow for more than a couple in the room together. On the other hand the church of Jesus Christ will continue to flourish especially in places where they are persecuted (you got that bit right). Try reading the end of the book. It is obvious the deniers lose.
Posted by runner, Friday, 16 February 2018 4:25:31 PM
Toni Lavis. Reread my comment. I was disapointed that the reason some atheists were against the "atheist church" was because it wasn't rooted enough in disproving God.

Here read it again and this time don't gloss over this part.

[Like minded people who want to provide a resource for their community and do good. That should be something all people aspire to be part of. Atheist don't have to agree on everything but they seem to identify with eachother so much by what they don't believe in. So having a get together for building up the community is an aspect they should embrace. Least they notice that the community needs religion because no one else will care to help.]
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Friday, 16 February 2018 6:29:48 PM
Atheists by definition have no need to "disprove God".

If Atheism is a religion that needs a Church, then baldness is a hair colour and not collecting stamps is a legitimate hobby.

If Atheists had one, I doubt it would include ritual cannabalism, funny hats, snake handling, talking in tongues and all the other weird stuff that God apparently needs to feel important for fear He would disappear in a puff of pixie dust like Tinkerbell if nobody believed in Him.

You can't out-crazy what's already being done out there so why add to the lunacy?
Posted by rache, Friday, 16 February 2018 8:13:24 PM
As an atheist I see this like opening a pub that only serves alcohol exclusively to teetotallers. Well if that's what turns people on, then let it be.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 16 February 2018 9:08:00 PM
> You would obviously need to throw away your brains to listen to such irrational garbage that the god deniers spit out.
Have you been doing that, runner? I ask because it would explain a lot!

The God deniers (the neocons) labelled the science of global warming "a religion" to make it appear irrational to atheists and evil to Christians. They knew it was none of those things, but they didn't care because they regarded the profits of Big Oil as more important than the environment or human wellbeing. I've often wondered why you let yourself do their bidding – did you throw away your brains when you listened to their irrational garbage?
Posted by Aidan, Saturday, 17 February 2018 1:28:57 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
https://www.adelaidereview.com.au/features/the-atheist-church-sunday-assembly/ says:

"The man on stage is not a priest, but a comedian from the UK called Sanderson Jones, who set up what has been dubbed The Atheist Church in January 2013. As Jones says, “This is like a church, just without the supernatural stuff”."

<<Still, it's nice to see some crusty old fundies so rattled by this idea. It suggests to me they're worried this thing might just take off, and then where would they be?>>

"Jones resents this label (a ‘Temple to Atheism’) and any suggestion that the Sunday Assembly is out to divide or attack people. Sunday Assembly welcomes people of any faith, he explains. In Jones’ address to the crowd, which is more stand-up than sermon, he tells us how Twitter’s more militant atheists have attacked the group for being traitorous to the godless cause."

I would argue there are people on this website, who take the same approach and those people know who they are. They are not going to like any movement like an 'Atheist church' at all.

<<Atheist church?>> https://www.adelaidereview.com.au/features/the-atheist-church-sunday-assembly/

The headline says: "The Atheist Church: Sunday Assembly".
Posted by NathanJ, Saturday, 17 February 2018 10:50:31 AM
(Wo)man is a social being and has an instinctive need to commune with those of like mind. That's why the hermit is consider to be such an odd creature.

Christians don't NEED to attend church to practice their faith. But gathering with like-minded is affirming.

It hardly surprising that (some) atheists have the same needs and adopt the same solutions.
Posted by mhaze, Sunday, 18 February 2018 9:37:45 AM
Paul,

"As an atheist I see this like opening a pub that only serves alcohol exclusively to teetotallers. Well ..."

Now that, me bhoy, is real humour and I appreciate it.
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 18 February 2018 10:30:51 AM
The idea of an Atheist Church looks a bit crazy but it is no crazier than religious people getting together and deluding themselves that they love God when everything they teach and believe is anti-God.

An Atheist Church might discuss science and have a ridicule session about religions which might be a lot of fun...

Plus as believers often accuse Atheism a non-belief system as being a belief system maybe they get together and spread the non-word as their religion. Look at the taxation benefits that fairytale believing religions get in society.

At least the Atheists won't believe in talking snakes and scaring children into belief with lies about imaginary beings and imaginary places and imaginary outcomes like Satan, demons and hellfire and damnation.

I'm not an Atheist but I'd go (probably once only) just to see what they get up to. I mean I went to many Churches when I was young and I enjoyed the fictional fairytales and watching the loonies believe in such things.

Emo Philips of The Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2005/sep/29/comedy.religion tells a really funny joke about believers.

Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!"

He said, "Nobody loves me."

I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?"

He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too!

Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too!

What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too!

Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too!

Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too!

Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"

Northern Conservative†Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912."

I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.

Now that is a funny but accurate gag...lmao :)
Posted by Opinionated2, Monday, 19 February 2018 9:57:16 AM
OP2,

You're back!!

The Lord Be Praised!!
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 19 February 2018 10:11:43 AM
Yes Issy the Lord sent me to correct all the failures on here that delude themselves into believing the lies they are taught by the religions...lmao :)

Go figure... God apparently wants people to know the truth...

Simple things like God doesn't drown innocent babies in world wide floods.

God doesn't send plaques upon a nation in a bun fight with a human leader. God is sort of a bit bigger than that!

God also doesn't kill all the firstborn of a country like believers believe in the lie of the Passover.

God also doesn't allow his son to be killed on a cross for the absurd reason to save us from our sins. He loves his son a bit more than that!

God also wanted it to be known that when Jesus said, whilst sitting in front of people, clearly being seen that Jesus wasn't lying about..

John 5:37 And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. YE HAVE NEITHER HEARD HIS VOICE AT ANY TIME, NOR SEEN HIS SHAPE.

AND

John 6:46 NOT THAT ANY MAN HATH SEEN THE FATHER,save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father.

AND WHEN THE BIBLE SAYS

John 1:18 NO MAN HAS SEEN GOD AT ANY TIME, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

So I guess, if Jesus sent me, like you think, it is only because I am the only one telling the truth and showing where the truth is written in that funny set of books called the Bible.

The truth is hidden in plain site and even the uneducated amongst us should be able to see that truth especially when I capitalise the key words to assist your poor comprehension skills...lmao

So what language did the talking snake use when talking to Eve...lmao :)
Posted by Opinionated2, Monday, 19 February 2018 11:33:13 AM
' Simple things like God doesn't drown innocent babies in world wide floods.'

maybe just maybe He knew they would they would turn out like you! Just a thought OP
Posted by runner, Monday, 19 February 2018 12:44:15 PM
Op2,

Obviously Hebrew, but with a lisp.
Posted by Loudmouth, Monday, 19 February 2018 3:24:55 PM
Oh Runner... Probably more likely that they would turn out like you... I've at least put my brain into gear whilst you still believe all the horrid lies against God...lmao :)

Even with your poor attempt at humour Runner, if that 's what it was, it shows the inner ugliness that is your soul.

You are still so keen to believe God is a mass murderer of innocent babies because you heard it from a book of fairy tales.

So Runner, do you really think Pinocchio's nose grew every time he told a lie?...lmao :)You probably believe that is true as well.

Very good Loudy... Go to the top of the class! Is a hiss a lisp?...lol Maybe it spoke with a hissp!

There are other answers...

1. Spanish - The snake had an hiss..panic background and he was making hiss..tory when he spoke to Eve...so God and he could be in hiss..terics laughing at the people who actually believe the hiss..terically stupid story in the first place. They are watching believers having Hiss..y fits getting everything wrong but claiming they believed in God! lmao :)

2. Snakes can't speak any human language, believers just aren't smart enough to know that...lmao :)

Maybe "Bung it on religions and the religious joke time" at an Atheist Church might be worth the visit afterall...lol :)
Posted by Opinionated2, Monday, 19 February 2018 4:30:04 PM
'. I've at least put my brain into gear whilst you still believe all the horrid lies against God...lmao :)'

no OP2 you shake your puny little fist at your Creator by attempting to fit Him into your dirty little flawed narrative.
Posted by runner, Monday, 19 February 2018 4:40:21 PM
The absurdity of your position is obvious for anyone to see.

Example conversation that Runner might have with me...

Runner...God intentionally drowned every person on the Earth including innocent babies, children and innocent babes still in the womb..

OP2 The flood never happened Runner...Why do you hate God so much by spreading such lies against God? The whole Noah story is an absurdity and undermines God's love for humans totally...Why would God send Satan and the fallen angels to Earth Runner?...God knew we didn't stand a chance!

Runner...God killed all the firstborn of Egypt in the Passover and I celebrate the murder of all those innocent babies and children every year.

OP2...No Runner you are wrong...The Passover never happened...God doesn't murder innocents... You are lying against God again. It's a fairytale Runner...Grow up!

Runner...God told Moses to put dust from the tabernacle floor to test the fidelity of women...Numbers 5:16-22

OP2...No Runner that would be witchcraft because it says the bitter water contained a curse....God doesn't teach people to do evil things that could kill an unborn baby in the womb...God doesn't put curses on people...and what was the test for a man's fidelity Runner...Did God forget that men could be untrustworthy also? Moses lied Runner and you believe the lies!

Runner...There was a talking snake in the Garden of Eden and it tricked Eve into eating of the fruit...

OP2...No Runner...Snakes can't talk and the whole original sin story is an utter insult to God.

Runner...You are a dirty scoundrel OP2...How dare you correct the lies I am telling against God and defend God?

OP2...Because I am sane Runner...You need psychiatric help! I think your treatments will take a very long time....Good luck with those!

I wonder what Jesus will think about you spreading these lies against his father Runner? He wants his father glorified by people like me who tell the truth not maligned by the horrid likes of you...lmao

You are such an anti-Christ Runner! :)
Posted by Opinionated2, Monday, 19 February 2018 5:42:25 PM
//OP2,

You're back!!

The Lord Be Praised!!//

I assume you're referring to the Lord of Darkness there, Is Mise.

//So what language did the talking snake use when talking to Eve//

Parseltongue, of course.

Do kids not read Harry Potter these days?

//Obviously Hebrew, but with a lisp.//

What did the Kiwi say to the Jew?

Hey bro. (read it aloud in a Kiwi accent)

//Yes Issy the Lord sent me to correct all the failures on here that delude themselves into believing the lies they are taught by the religions//

Jesus, the Lord is slipping these days. Not exactly Jean D'Arc material, is she?
Posted by Toni Lavis, Monday, 19 February 2018 7:23:52 PM
Oppinionated 2

Man was made in the image of God. So that means, we think like God.
We kill babies, (abortion), we wipe out opposing tribes, ( genocide), we destroy our own environment, limiting our own survival, we kill our own families, (domestic violence), we limit everything in life to the value of money, (capitalism), we deport the evil among us (banishing the fallen angels to earth), we raise the status of man above that of God, (atheism).
And in the end man dies and returns to dust: BUT God lives on eternally.

Unfair don't you think?
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 20 February 2018 8:43:38 AM
Diver Dan... Well according to those whose brains have been dumbed down by religion we were made in the image of God... That too is an insult to God.

That is all religious people do in their worship... They sell God as a mass murdering a...hole and then conclude that is love.

It has to be a mental illness to do that!

I always ask

Do you really believe GOD condoned of and sometimes committed infanticide, rape, murder, animal and human sacrifice, ethnic cleansing, war crimes, torture, incest, Mosaic Law - (Sharia), stoning, slavery , oppression of women and other atrocities?

Every version of the Bible says GOD did!

Really? Is this how GOD operates?

They never answer because they are so indoctrinated and lost that they run scared of the questions.

Even after Royal Commissions which show the crimes committed by and covered up by their religions, they still are too scared to leave. The power of fear and indoctrination is there for all to see.

I also ask them to put themselves in Jesus' shoes and think how they would respond to others if their fathers were being horridly maligned with lies like the religions do regarding God...

No answer again...They would rather believe the lies and are happier defaming God with these lies but they still expect forgiveness even after spreading those lies farther and wider.

One of the commandments says... Thou shalt not take the Lord's name in vain.

They do it every week.Every day of their lives!

The absurdity of their position is unbelievable!

An Atheist church seems a great idea to me...At least by that process we might raise the IQ of the human race because religion always lowers it!

Believers are supposed to be glorifying God and yet they lie about God continually! AMAZING!
Posted by Opinionated2, Tuesday, 20 February 2018 12:46:24 PM
'Even after Royal Commissions which show the crimes committed by and covered up by their religions, they still are too scared to leave. The power of fear and indoctrination is there for all to see.'

amazing that you even found a conscience to call child sex abuse wrong OP2. Not consistent with your warped sick narrative. Oh thats right its about sides not right and wrong.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 20 February 2018 2:22:48 PM
Chillen! Chillen!....youse is all confused
Religion is like a football club.....you back your team come hell or high water....spiritual 'belief'.... is no different.
YOU pick what YOU want to believe....nobody else....oh sure there's indoctrination, but in the end we all reach an age as to whether to question or not.
Those that are comfortable stay with the club he/she was raised in....others venture further afield....nothing strange about that after all it's all speculation as to who is going to win the premiership.
The Jews say it's in the bag by way of being 'the Chosen'....the Christians say they have Jesus in their corner by way of the cross, and the Muslims say they have Mohammad in theirs, along with the virgins.....and so on and so on.
Personally I find the virgin concept appealing if it were not for the cat fight that would ensue....mind you non of these come with a guarantee....not one you're ever going to be able to enforce it.
So pick that which is appealing to you and give it a try....we live in an age of experimentation and delusion.
Posted by Special Delivery, Tuesday, 20 February 2018 2:42:44 PM
Runner ...That last post may have been your most imbecilic yet. But at least you stay consistently imbecilic...lmao

I have more of a conscience in my little toe than you would have in your whole life. Remember it is you who believes God is a mass murder and condoner of infanticide...not me!

It is you who belongs to these evil religions...not me!

It is you who celebrates the murder of innocent babies, children and babes still in the womb (if the mother was the first born in a family) during the Passover (an event that never happened), every year.

It is in your twisted mind and the minds of other religious losers that doesn't understand the obscenity in your beliefs against Jesus and God! And you thought you were a good person...delusional much?..lol

It's OK I understand you obviously aren't the sharpest tool in the shed and the tool shed is full of other blunt religion followingtools for you to hang with...lmao :)

I mean the whole of the Abrahmic religions oppress women but you wouldn't think that is wrong...Oh except in the sects/brands you don't belong to...lol

I bet you are an outspoken critic of them...Yep you would be a complete hypocrite...

So Runner congratulations on being an abject failure in the eyes of Jesus and God... You let them down with every thought, every breath and every rubbish post you make...Top effort!

So do you talk to snakes Runner... You sound like you are one! lmao

It is very much like a football club SD except this club is for people with low IQ's, poor comprehension skills, twisted moralities and deep seated mental illnesses caused through religion...Somehow fully functioning brains in these people just stopped working!

The simple fact is that the Bible was written by Psychopaths, Sociopaths and manic depressives and these people think that is from God...lmao

I mean Moses was a complete Psychopath and yet these crazies believe he represented their God...lmao
Posted by Opinionated2, Tuesday, 20 February 2018 7:06:21 PM
The writers of the Scriptures are absolute genius's compared with your waffle and putried narrative op2. Your waffle and warped conscience would give you a good chance for a job as an atheist high priest. Your puny god denying fist is really atrocious.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 20 February 2018 7:36:44 PM
Opinionated 2

There is a big gap in your logic though. Christ was the master pacifist. His most violent act was to upend the money changers tables on the steps of the Jewish temple!

And the Muslims have an expectation of a pacifist saviour, Muhammad ibn Hasan al-MahdI .
The Jews await their pacifist saviour also. And religions of the east are essentially pacifist.

I think your misguided.

It is hard for modern Western man to envisage the normality of violence in historic cultures. Populations in he West are the most passive in all of history!

The last witch was burned in Europe when Captain Cook set sail for the Australian Continent.

Religions have a history which mirrors the societies standards of acceptance of violence, not the other way around as you are suggesting!
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 20 February 2018 9:40:59 PM
Diver Dan...It is you who is misguided through lack of knowledge.

If you study the gospels correctly Jesus got angrier and angrier because his methods were being shunned.I mean according to the Bible it was believers that had him crucified in the end by baying for his blood.

Would a pacifist threaten hellfire and damnation on people especially when hell doesn't even exist?

Matthew 8:12 But the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

Jesus was pretty good at threatening these things that are wrong!

His anger and annoyance really shows in this parable with the final line being

Luke 19:27 But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

Why did he tell that parable? It is about him.

Because the believers wouldn't follow his compassionate teachings he increased the threats throughout his alleged ministry.

Your logic suddenly collapsed due to lack of knowledge so it is you who are misguided...It's Ok I am used to people on here getting everything wrong...lol :)

Religions are simply blind people leading blind people up a blind alley.

You know what is in the heart of people who would celebrate an event like the Passover every year, (even when that event never even occured). Afterall it is hardly a good person who would ever celebrate or admire the mass killing of innocent babies, innocent children and innocent babes in the womb.

Jesus celebrated the Passover... so much for pacifism!

And you thought his showing annoyam~nce by turning over the tables was his worst act...lol

Nevermind!
Posted by Opinionated2, Tuesday, 20 February 2018 10:59:03 PM
Sorry Dan,

The last person convicted under the British Witchcraft Act of 1735 was Helen Duncan in 1944.

Likewise, Slavery wasn't officially abolished because of religion, it ended in spite of it.

Religions used to provide a reason for violence and conquest in the past but now they simply provide a convenient excuse for personal hatred and prejudice.

Most people get their heavily sanitised religious history from Hollywood, out-of-context quotes or Sunday School Myths and are ignorant of the true nature of what is included in the Bible (a book that should require no explanantion but has spawned a multitude of books the explain it as well as creating 10,000 variations of Christianity globally) - or the history of how it came about and how much of it has been changed over centuries.
Posted by rache, Wednesday, 21 February 2018 12:48:43 AM
Runner...You are a pathetic know nothing...so let's look at some of the lovely (not) sorry outrageous things the Psychopaths who wrote the Bible said.

1 Samuel 15:2-3 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I remember that which Amalek did to Israel, how he laid wait for him in the way, when he came up from Egypt.

Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

Psalms 137:9 Happy (shall he be), that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

OMG Runner this must be poetry to your backward thinking mind.

Numbers 31:17 "Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him; But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves."

Oh yes Runner it's beautiful stuff...

Deuteronomy 7:2 And when the LORD thy God shall deliver them before thee; thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor shew mercy unto them"

Yep no Godly mercy anywhere because Moses and the other Bible writers lied! But dummies like you believe it!

Joshua 6:21 "And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword"

Kill, Kill, Kill! Oh Runner you must love this stuff...

Hey they even forced raped women to marry the rapist...Beustiful stuff!

Deuteronomy 22:28-29 If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found;

Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days.

I told you you have an ugly soul Runner... Nope you are plain ugly everywhere!
Posted by Opinionated2, Wednesday, 21 February 2018 12:51:34 AM
Oh look Runner...You believe these obscenities against God!

God sends evil spirits...1 Samuel 16:14 But the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD troubled him.

The writer blames the victims (the daughters) for incest!...Genesis 19:36 Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father.

God creates evil...Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and CREATE EVIL: I the Lord do all these things.

Lecturing slaves...1 Peter 2:18 "Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse."

Pro-slavery Runner?

And the Bible accuses God of sending plagues...I Chronicles 21:14-15 "Behold with a great plague will the LORD smite thy people and thy children, and thy wives, and all thy goods: And thou shalt have great sickness by disease of thy bowels, until thy bowels fall out by reason of the sickness day by day."

Child Sacrifice...Judges 11:33 Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD'S, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.

OOPS! his daughter greeted him.

Judges 11:35 And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter! thou hast brought me very low, and thou art one of them that trouble me: for I have opened my mouth unto the LORD, and I cannot go back.

then

Judges 11:39 And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her (according) to his vow which he had vowed: and she knew no man. And it was a custom in Israel,

Why didn't God stop this delusional believer? Oh that's right this was a girl OR God didn't stay Abraham's hand, Abraham suddenly realised he was an imbecile like you Runner.

Those mental writers falsely accuse God like you believers all do!
Posted by Opinionated2, Wednesday, 21 February 2018 2:19:58 AM
Rache

I said the last witch burnt at the stake.

Opinionated 2

Pacifism is on the up, no doubt about it. Thank God for Democracy and the pacifist left wing: And of course Atheists.
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 21 February 2018 8:34:03 AM
' I told you you have an ugly soul Runner... Nope you are plain ugly everywhere!' Thank OP2 it gives me hope that someone like you with such a dishonest deranged view of the God of Israel also makes judgement on me.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 21 February 2018 10:05:29 AM
Gee Runner...Your ability to lie knows no bounds...

I am not saying these things against the God of Israel...lol..YOU are believing these things against the God of Israel because you believe and hold true the lies against the God of Israel as told by your beloved psychopathic Bible writers.

I quote exact Chapter and verse from the book you worship and it is my fault? When dumb was handed out did you go back for extra dumb because it was free?...lmao

Look here are some more horrid, evil verses from the nutjobs you admire.

Deuteronomy 17:12 Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel.

Oh yes as proven by the Royal Commissions do you think we should ignore the victims and believe the priests? So the Bible says the molesters represent the Lord...Isn't Moses supposed to have written Deuteronomy?

Does God answer curses killing children?....2 Kings 2:23-24 “Go up baldhead,” they shouted, “go up baldhead!” The prophet turned and saw them, and he CURSED THEM IN THE NAME OF THE LORD. Then two shebears came out of the woods and tore forty two of the children to pieces.

DOES GOD USE LIONS?....1 Kings 20:35-36 Meanwhile, the LORD instructed one of the group of prophets to say to another man, “Strike me!” But the man refused to strike the prophet. Then the prophet told him, “Because you have not obeyed the voice of the LORD, a lion will kill you as soon as you leave me.” And sure enough, when he had gone, a lion attacked and killed him.

DOES GOD KILL FOR THIS?....2 Samuel 6:3-7 When they came to the threshing floor of Nodan, Uzzah reached out his hand to the ark of God to steady it, for the oxen were making it tip. But the Lord was angry with Uzzah; God struck him on that spot, and he died there before God.

Oh Runner you are such an imbecile to believe these lies against God!
Posted by Opinionated2, Wednesday, 21 February 2018 11:11:28 AM
'Oh Runner you are such an imbecile to believe these lies against God!'

The clay waving his puny fist again at the Potter. Talk about arrogance and self importance OP2. To think God would tolerate your pathetic rants and lies just demonstrates His mercy.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 21 February 2018 5:08:17 PM
So Runner, quoting exact Bible verses is a rant? Can't get much sillier than that statement you made!

If anything was to show the Lord's mercy it is what the religions and the religious like you have done to his teachings.

I mean all you guys do is believe every horrible story that denigrates God no matter how ridiculous the story.

The Passover is an exact example of that.

You believe and celebrate that God murdered all the innocent first born babies, first born children, first born mothers and their babes in the womb and celebrate that atrocious story that never even happened and is totally anti God.

How can anybody or any sane religion believe and teach such an outrageous lie against God, and actually celebrate it every year when it is a lie.

You can't get anymore anti-Christ than that!

Religion is a mental illness because you are so blind that even if the truth is shown to you...you would rather lie about God.

Again I ask this question you believers will never ever answer.

Say we were saying that your father was a mass murderer like you claim God to be...If you were Jesus could you forgive such a horrid lie against your father?

Would you forgive a person who believed and spread a horrid lie against your dad, with absolutely no evidence other than the ravings of a complete psychopathic nutjob like Moses?

Obviously you are so easily misled you'd probably believe the story...

You totally ignore all evidence presented, from the exact book you wrongly believe is God's word and don't even care that it denigrates God and simply can't be God's word!

You are the perfect proof that on a weak, feeble mind indoctrination and brain washing works.

Nevermind...Keep hating God!
Posted by Opinionated2, Thursday, 22 February 2018 1:21:36 AM
Opinionated 2

*...You totally ignore all evidence presented, from the exact book you wrongly believe is God's word and don't even care that it denigrates God and simply can't be God's word!...*

Are you the reincarnation of Jimmy Jones and the people's temple of the '70's?

Before he murdered a thousand of his adherents, he would rage from the pulpit about the same things you condemn in the bible.
He would tear up bibles, and hurl the pieces into the expectant crowd of well wishes below.

Turns out he was a sex crazed drug addict.

Be careful with this one opinionated 2!
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 22 February 2018 6:34:29 AM
Diver Dan are you a complete and utter lunatic? It appears so with the stupidity of the rubbish you just mentioned.

Jimmy Jones was just another religious nutter that got it all wrong as usual!

You must be really desperate to think that someone who is showing the truth about the verses in the Bible would be any thing like that nutjob.

What you and others don't get is that the Bible is full of horrendous verses that need to be exposed so that people don't fall for the indoctrination trap.

I know it is probably a bit tough for you to contemplate but sometimes people tell the truth for the right reasons and not for your conspiracy theory craziness.

Most believers have never even read the Bible. Most believers, even if they have read the Bible didn't read it properly.

You will note believers never answer questions because they haven't got a clue.

That is why the Passover story is such a great example.

All these believers falsely claiming to be good honourable people of great faith celebrate the mass murder of innocent babies, innocent children and innocent babies still in the womb in an event that never even happened!

In their religious buildings and homes all over the world they are so delusional as celebrate God killed all these people in a pecker fight with Pharoah. It is an ugly absurdity that is anti-God!

GOD DOESN'T KILL BABIES AND CHILDREN!

So if that last post of yours is the smartest you get in life Seek help!

Your post was absolutely senseless!
Posted by Opinionated2, Thursday, 22 February 2018 10:17:07 AM
e Passover is an absolute insult to GOD...and yet it is celebrated in many institutions & homes all over the world.
What type of person would CELEBRATE the murder of INNOCENT BABIES AND CHILDREN in an event that never happened?

The Passover started with a pecker fight with Pharoah...BELIEVERS ALLEGE THAT GOD KILLED INNOCENT BABIES, INNOCENT CHILDREN, AND INNOCENT BABES STILL IN THE WOMB!

Imagine the obscenity to GOD of that simple concept...

Just for 1 second imagine all the children you know, who are the firstborn in their families...YOU BELIEVE THEY WOULD BE KILLED BY GOD!- I know it is rubbish but you believe it!

God took the freewill off Pharaoh, by hardening Pharoah's heart, so that he wouldn't let the Israelites go.

Exodus 4:21 And the LORD said unto Moses, When thou goest to return into Egypt, see that thou do all those wonders before Pharaoh, which I have put in thine hand: BUT I WILL HARDEN HIS HEART, that he shall not let the people go.

What hope did Pharaoh have? God made it impossible for him to let the Israelites go!

Exodus 11:5 And all the firstborn in the land of Egypt shall die, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sitteth upon his throne, even unto the firstborn of the maidservant that is behind the mill; and all the firstborn of beasts.

Even servants lost their children and babies.... REALLY? Is this how GOD operates? What had the animals done wrong? NOTE : ALL the firstborn of beasts!

So God would kill all the firstborn of other non-Israelite slaves and servants what had they done wrong?

Exodus 12:12 For I (GOD) will pass through the land of Egypt this night, and will smite ALL the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against ALL the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the LORD.

So God also passed judgement on the false God's of Egypt? It makes no sense!

Cont…
Posted by Opinionated2, Thursday, 22 February 2018 11:37:31 AM
Yep the Egyptians were as hard hearted as you op2. Sin is very ugly as you demonstrate
Posted by runner, Thursday, 22 February 2018 11:43:08 AM
Cont...

Exodus 12:29 And it came to pass, that at midnight the LORD smote all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sat on his throne unto the firstborn of the captive that was in the dungeon; and all the firstborn of CATTLE.

God only killed the firstborn of cattle?...Did he forget he said "All beasts"?

So GOD punished every non-Israelite and cattle? Those Egyptian cattle are really evil, they kept Israelite cattle in slavery!...lmao

Why do people insult GOD by believing this rubbish?

So you believers believe that GOD killed INNOCENT BABIES, INNOCENT CHILDREN, INNOCENT BABES STILL IN THE WOMB, AND THE INNOCENT BABIES AND CHILDREN NON-ISRAELITE.

What sort of person celebrates such ugliness?

But there are problems in the NT regarding the Passover meal also.

Was the last supper the Passover meal?

Matthew 26:17-20 Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?

And he said, Go into the city to such a man, and say unto him, The Master saith, My time is at hand; I will keep the passover at thy house with my disciples.

And the disciples did as Jesus had appointed them; and they made ready the passover.

Now when the even was come, he sat down with the twelve.

This is confirmed in

Mark 14:12-16...AND....Luke 22:7-15

BUT in John it has been changed. The passover hadn't started and wasn't started until after his appearance before Pilate the next day.

John 18:28 Then led they Jesus from Caiaphas unto the hall of judgment: and it was early; and they themselves went not into the judgment hall, lest they should be defiled; but that they might eat the passover.

John 19:14 And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King!

Who changed what and why were the changes made? They both can't be correct.

Aint Bible study fun when it is done correctly?...lmao
Posted by Opinionated2, Thursday, 22 February 2018 11:46:02 AM
Hi Self-Op2,

I'm not too bright, so I can't tell when someone is taking the mickey. But your posts are wonderful adverts for atheism, tempered with a sympathy for peoples thousands of years ago struggling to understand their world and how it came to be. As you amply demonstrate, there is clearly no need for any religion these days.

Thank you,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 22 February 2018 1:25:24 PM
Loudy... Don't put yourself down...that is my job...lol You have given me a good run for my money plenty of times...lol

I'm not promoting anything....not even atheism. I am just showing the truth...It is that simple. As I have said many times I'm not an Atheist.

I post these posts so that people can see what the Bible actually says. People are so blinded by religions and it is time for people to wake up.

You can't go around saying your are a good person because you believe in God, when you celebrate lies like the Passover, or the flood, or that people who don't believe will rot in hell.

This is just building lie upon lie upon lie.

As Christians believe, because the fairytale book called the Bible, says that people who don't follow Jesus will gnash their teeth in the sulfur lakes of hell for eternity, when hell doesn't even exist - HOW CAN THEY BE GOOD PEOPLE?

John 3:16 Those who believe in him are not condemned; but those who do not believe are condemned already, because they have not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

BUT that isn't true either Jesus also said

Matthew 7:21-23 NOT EVERYONE who says to me, “Lord, Lord,” will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven. On that day many will say to me, “Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many deeds of power in your name?” Then I will declare to them, “I never knew you; go away from me, you evildoers.”

So it is obviously gobbledy goog and most of the Christians I have met...(if the second verse be true)...they won't be going to heaven...lol

Look at the healing ministries...they are laughable!

Do Christians do good things?...Of course they do, but they usually have a hidden agenda behind what they do...They are either trying to convert people or looking out for their own eternal lives so their motives are wrong!

...cont
Posted by Opinionated2, Friday, 23 February 2018 3:59:30 PM
..cont

Most believers fail Do unto others, Turn the other cheek, let he who has not sinned cast the first stone, do not judge, they lie, and on and on they fail Jesus.

Now of course intelligent people know that demons don't exist and what used to be called demons were either brain problems or diseases. So this casting demons out in Jesus' name is also a load of rubbish.

If these believers were really full of faith their belief would cure the world of ALL ILLNESSES, ALL DISABILITIES and ALL SUFFERING but alas they are failures.

John 14:12-14 Very truly I tell you, WHOEVER BELIEVES IN ME will do the works I have been doing, and THEY (You guys) WILL DO EVEN GREATER THINGS THAN THESE, because I am going to the Father.

And WHATSOEVER YE (You believers) SHALL ASK IN MY NAME, THAT I WILL DO, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

If ye (You believers) shall ask ANY THING IN MY NAME, I WILL DO IT.

So much for the faith and belief they claim to have...lol

Like I said on another thread...

Jesus left one religion and built no buildings and yet look what the believers have done to it...

It has been stated that there are around 37 million churches in the world with 34,000 (Christian) denominations.

Yep they sure follow Jesus...NOT!...lol

According to the Bible Jesus said this is what these people who claim to be followers but aren't were like...

Mark 7:7-9 Their worship is a farce, for they teach man-made ideas as commands from God.

For you ignore God’s law and substitute your own tradition.”

Then he said, You skillfully sidestep God’s law in order to hold on to your own tradition.

I just love Bible study when it is done properly...lol
Posted by Opinionated2, Friday, 23 February 2018 4:08:32 PM
Hi Op2,

Have a good look at the Book of Job, and what it says about Satan and God, and their bet that Job can't be turned away from God, no matter what dreadful and pointless disasters Satan brings on to him. Job's response - in his book - is very different from what is usually trumpeted about him. Love it. You'll have a ball with the Book of Job.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 23 February 2018 4:28:56 PM
Loudy...The story of Job is one of the most anti-God stories in the Bible. The fact that believers think there is a lesson in this fiction absolutely amazes me.

Satan doesn't exist. So God being tempted and acceding to Satan's request by an imaginary being is just plain nonsensical.

It seems believer's believe God would sell out even a good person if asked to by Satan.

Job 1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.

God and Satan exchange a few pleasantries where GOD...(supposedly omniscient)...asks Satan where he has been...

Job 1:7 And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

Suddenly God tempts God with this question.

Job 1:9-11 Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?

Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land.

But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face.

So GOD takes the bait...He didn't need to because he is omniscient BUT believers miss that...GOD ALREADY KNEW THE OUTCOME!

So Satan is let loose on JOB and goes straight to work.

Job 1: 13-19 One day when Job’s sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother’s house, a messenger came to Job and said, “The oxen were plowing and the donkeys were grazing nearby, and the Sabeans attacked and made off with them. They put the servants to the sword, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!”

Job was a good man and yet believers who believe this rubbish believe God sold out Job to Satan. Once again believer's believe God seems to enjoy pecker competitions!

...cont
Posted by Opinionated2, Friday, 23 February 2018 8:03:42 PM
Cont...

While he was still speaking, another messenger came and said, “The fire of God fell from the heavens and burned up the sheep and the servants, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!”

While he was still speaking, another messenger came and said, “The Chaldeans formed three raiding parties and swept down on your camels and made off with them. They put the servants to the sword, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!”

While he was still speaking, yet another messenger came and said, “Your sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother’s house, when suddenly a mighty wind swept in from the desert and struck the four corners of the house. It collapsed on them and they are dead, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!”

So if FREE WILL actually exists why did all these people die? When a believer uses the excuse of FREE WILL they obviously don't know their Bibles!

They had no say in anything! If GOD is loving why did these innocents die?

If GOD is omniscient why did he need to test JOB? HE KNEW THE OUTCOME ANYWAY!

Why did GOD allow Satan to kill all these innocents?

Come on people please start to think… You continually make GOD out to be unintelligent undermining his LOVE and OMNISCIENCE with your belief in fairytales.

But wait...

Job 42:11 Then came there unto him all his brethren, and all his sisters, and all they that had been of his acquaintance before, and did eat bread with him in his house: and they bemoaned him, and comforted him over ALL THE EVIL THAT THE LORD HAD BROUGHT UPON HIM: every man also gave him a piece of money, and every one an earring of gold.

So according to Job, GOD doesn't protect good people from evil, as he may simply choose to put evil upon them.

Can it get any more unintelligent and anti-God than that!
Posted by Opinionated2, Friday, 23 February 2018 8:16:50 PM
Hi Op2,

Not being a believer, I'm interested in the Book of Job simply because it is included in the Old Testament, and therefore, so it seems to me, would be taken as truth by Jewish and Christian believers. Otherwise it would have been junked long ago.

After all, as you point out, it doesn't show the Judeo-Christian god in a very good light - not so much because he seemed to be quite happy to let Satan - one of his angels at the time, according to the books - do whatever the hell he liked to destroy Job's faith in god (which seemed to work, by the way) but god's dummy-spit (in the last couple of pages) about his awesome powers to do whatever the hell HE liked, making whales and tempests, etc.; and then his suck-up to the silent Job, promising he could raise another family and get his farm back etc.

To which Job seemed to shrug his shoulders as if to say, 'Well, you're the bloke with the power, do what you like' and that's it. It's quite an amazing book - obviously taken from some other society's mythology or foundation story. Love it !

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Saturday, 24 February 2018 9:43:28 AM
I totally agree with you Loudy...

Religions and believers do exactly the same thing today. If you can't sell love...sell fear.

Job may well be one of worst chapters for undermining the God they say they love in the Bible. Yet they, as usual, totally miss the point.

Like Moses they need their sky person to be the most horrid, magical and scary God in the universe who punishes everyone but them so they can be tricked into feeling special.

It is unbelievably pathetic.

They are no different to the believers who crucified Jesus in that story.

If Jesus came he would hopefully preach peace and the rabble that claim to follow him wouldn't be able to handle it because they live in the fear of hellfire and damnation. For them to feel good about themselves others have to suffer.

Of course they believe Jesus is the God of the Old Testament so Jesus might just decide to drown the whole world, them included, because they don't understand spirituality, love and peace one bit.

They assume the right to speak on behalf of God and Jesus but usually don't actually know anything anyway.

My favourite verse in the Bible is this one...

Matthew 5:3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Believers would have to say that Agnostics and Athiests are people poor in spirit and heaven belongs to them because Jesus said it.

Jesus would know that the people LEAST likely to get things wrong and blame God for everything are those who question everything and apply their logic and intellect to the God story.

The Bible proves that because the Bible makes God out to be an a...hole and yet somehow they think that is love... AMAZINGLY CRAZY THINKING ON THEIR PART!
Posted by Opinionated2, Saturday, 24 February 2018 12:08:57 PM
we have proven that the beliefs of believers are basically beliefs in fairy tales and anti-God/anti-Christ, so let's show a few other verses from their infallible Bibles...lmao

Supposedly channeling God, the lunatic Isaiah says....Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, AND CREATE EVIL: I the LORD do all these things.

Seeing believers believe God either wrote the Bible or inspired it either Isaiah is lying and making this rubbish up or God admits creating evil...YOU CHOOSE believers...lmao

Sadly, according to Isaiah and you losers God isn't good at making peace, if you look at the history of man....lol You silly, silly people!

Of course Isaiah's argument is proven when you look at other verses in the Bible.

When God cast Satan and the fallen angels to Earth, he didn't do humans any favours. They were Sons of God, created by God as very powerful beings and apparently God in his omniscience forgot they would rebel OR God planned it all so to infect humans with the evil he created...YOU CHOOSE! lmao

Job supports Isaiah's terrible assessment of God...

Job 42:11 Then came there unto him all his brethren, and all his sisters, and all they that had been of his acquaintance before, and did eat bread with him in his house: and they bemoaned him, and comforted him over ALL THE EVIL THAT THE LORD HAD BROUGHT UPON HIM: every man also gave him a piece of money, and every one an earring of gold.

So according to Job, GOD doesn't protect good people from evil, as he may simply choose to put evil upon them.

OOPS! There goes the Bible proving believers wrong again...Either you insult God by believing the Bible is the word of God or it simply can't be the word of God... YOU CHOOSE...lmao

So do you believe God creates evil and can turn against good people like he did to Job or do you believe the Bible is a pack of lies that, like your beliefs, denigrates God? YOU CHOOSE!

Eternity is a long time if you get it wrong...lmao
Posted by Opinionated2, Sunday, 25 February 2018 7:18:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy