The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > A strange thought on being real.

A strange thought on being real.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
To AJ Phillips.

Knowing if you exist is an exagegerated form of the question of knowing what's real and what isn't. What's true and what isn't. It is usually in that context that this would ever be approached. So I do think both knowing what's real (what exists) verses what is real (discerning the truth from falsehoods) are part of the same conversation.

As for solipsism. There are other elements down the question then just if your mind is the only one. There is also if your world is an illusion. A figment in a dream, (perhaps not even your own dream). If you are able to think, then yeah I'd say that's real enough because your conscience to think and act on your own, (even if you are in a dream).

Move it up a level though. We can interact with eachother, and so I can assume with a resonable assurance, that you are just as real as I am. But there are other things that are not like that. Things that are unseen that affect us. Some possibly unconscience elements of the world. Others seem less unconscience. Too many things occure from both my experiences and those that I know to think we are alone in the world. It no longer comes down to --if-- spiritual/supernatural elements exist, but instead --which-- of those elements exist, and which ones are figments we make up.
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Monday, 8 January 2018 5:11:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To Is Mise.

I think there are other ways to confirm that you are real, but having dept collectors chase you deffinately would confirm this as well.

To Foxy.
Funny thought. But no, not thinking does not disprove a person's existence, but it can not be used as evidance of existing.
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Monday, 8 January 2018 5:18:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Here's one more thought to consider. It seems like there are enough people with stories of ghosts and haunting so, from things they say are their grad parents to scary stuff you might share around a camp fire. If after we die, what happ has to our conscienceness isn't an refitting to a new body in reincarnation, or travel to a spiritual realm got an afterlife. But instead that you or I become something like a ghost. A dead consciencousness still lingering around.

As morbid as that thought is, how would a person come to terms with themselves. Would they question if they actually exist? If they are actually real? If they can think that might be enough, but if they can't interact with a world arond them, can they say they are real? How would you come to terms with it if (hypothetically) you die and become a Casper like ghost?
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Tuesday, 9 January 2018 5:44:02 AM
One imagines that Casper would be a quite a disappointment to Poil (Pearl). All of that cavorting in the raw but no resolution for Poil. That NY accent isn't enough.
Posted by leoj, Tuesday, 9 January 2018 7:40:04 AM
I don't know if this is relevant.

Some years ago I suffered an 'Aortic Dissection'. During the emergency opp that followed I was 'out' don't remember if I was in an induced coma or not. To the point; whilst I was 'out' I was 'living' just like any of us any day, as you say as in Matrix.

I was obviously dreaming or even nightmares, but, I was alive all my senses were all functioning. It was not like a dream but I can only describe it as 'real', I was 'alive' in my own mind.
Posted by ALTRAV, Tuesday, 9 January 2018 10:29:29 PM
Dear Not_Now.Soon,

«If there is a difference between your body and your soul,ma person might think the body is the shell but the soul is who they are.»

The fact that you spontaneously speak of YOUR body and YOUR soul, indicates that they are on a par: they both are YOURS, not YOU.

The so-called "soul" normally outlives the body, but it too will one day dissipate.

You are neither of those.

«because "you" are the parts of you that last.»

Can you see the logical contradiction in the above recursive sentence?

If:
You are the parts of you that last
Then:
You are the parts of the parts of you that last[, that last]
Then:
You are the parts of the parts of the parts of you that last
...etc...

However, while some last longer than others, no "parts" last forever, not even your soul.

---

One who lost their memory due to injury has no memory of their earlier life, but still they are the same one as before and their life is the same life regardless.

Yes, they could question their mind, their memories, their person and even their soul, but these are just their qualities, not themselves, the very owners of that mind, memory, person and soul.

---

Certainly, people can be wrong about how others see them. So what? I think that others love me, but in fact they hate me. I, the one whom I think is loved, is still exactly the same I whom they actually hate.

---

«How would you come to terms with it if (hypothetically) you die and become a Casper like ghost?»

It would be rather late and quite unpleasant: better act now while you have a body. If you live your life ethically and search for God, then you will not end up like Casper. Those who do will not suffer forever, but it might seem like "forever" to them, until a saint comes and saves them from that state.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 12 January 2018 3:04:44 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy