The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Muslim Community

Muslim Community

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 30
  7. 31
  8. 32
  9. Page 33
  10. All
Dear Joe,

Here are two links that may be of interest:

http://theconversation.com/stopping-land-clearing-and-replanting-trees-could-help-keep-australia-cool-in-a-warmer-future-63654

And -

http://www.bushheritage.org.au/about/our-challenge/land-clearing

As for why something is not being done?

I've already covered that topic.

Some people and governments see pollution as a regrettable
but inevitable product of desired economic development -
"Where there's smoke, there's jobs". The economic interests
behind the "smokestack" industries are a powerful political
lobby that is reluctant to commit the necessary resources to
the task. Anyway, I'm sure that you already know all the
reasons and I have no further wish to divert this discussion.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 6 December 2017 6:00:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Joe (Loudmouth),

Just one last small diversion from this topic -

I heard recently that coal has been discovered
in Canberra in the locality of Gunga Derra, I believe
that the business entrepreneurs of Adani are very
interested. Do you think that the Coalition government
would approve such a project - if this is true?
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 8 December 2017 1:37:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dearest Foxy,

Of course, when I go on about tree-planting, I'm using it as a sort of surrogate for the infinite variety of projects which could be carried out which mitigate the effects of excess CO2 production, etc. Whatever genuinely works.

I'm not convinced that an Adani coal-mine in Queensland is such a bad idea, PROVIDED that counter-pollution projects can be devised. If the Galilee Basin coal, which I believe may be less polluting than many other working deposits, can boost the use of electricity in India, and help people switch from burning wood and cow-dung for their necessities, and if adequate counter-measures can be also put in place, then I'm fairly happy about it.

Anyway, it seems that even the government in Saudi Arabia, with its reliance on oil, and its rent-seeking habituation, is trying to switch to renewables and perhaps nuclear power, neither of which put CO2 into the atmosphere. Current nuclear technology - no need total about Chernobyl or Fukushima, they're very much yesterday's technology - as utilised in France and Finland and other countries, may be as safe as anything else. I'm confident that our great-grandchildren will live securely and safely in a world including nuclear (my computer typed 'uncle') power.

And by the way, extra CO2 in the atmosphere seems to be stimulating vegetative growth, and thereby more efficient use of water too. What they used to call 'the greenhouse effect' but that term isn't used so much these days.

Love,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 8 December 2017 2:12:06 PM
Loudmouth, 'that term isn't used that much these days' because they have been caught out promoting lies. You're quite right in your comment about CO2 promoting extra vegetative growth. It will come to pass as I have been preaching for ages, that this renewable rubbish is just another way of the scumbags to skim/scam money out of us. Shove your renewables, unless you have an abundance of high altitude water, or thermal activity, so far they are the only viable renewable power sources, forget it. Forget wind and sun. I think the word 'reliable' puts them well out of the running. I'd like to physically attack those who started pushing these 'renewables'. If it was clear to me when I first heard about them, it must have been clear to them. Because the public knows nothing about renewables it was not very hard to sell/con the people into compliance, even though they had no idea what they were agreeing to. Because the greens are at the head of these lies and cover-ups, I can't say things like they should be wiped out of existence, because the 'soft cocks' will suddenly come racing in with the 'sad metre' and declare you can't say that. So I won't say 'that'.
Posted by ALTRAV, Friday, 8 December 2017 6:27:02 PM
ALTRAV,

Just to keep off topic for a while longer.

What about tidal?

I saw a tidal seed grinding mill in Ireland that had been in use for 400 years, as far as the owners knew it had only been stopped for maintenance and heavy repairs, such as replacing millstones and the water wheel.
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 8 December 2017 7:09:22 PM
Is Mise, tidal is just one of the many renewables on the table. It works when it works and there-in is the problem. It relies on tidal and wave movement. Unless the mill is in a place where the water movements are constant or continuous it will work for a mill because a mill is not on a 24/7 or a 100% duty cycle. They can afford to grind seed when the conditions are favourable. Electricity unfortunately must have 24/7, 100% duty cycle. So I'm sorry Is Mise, tidal is just another pipe dream when applied to a massive infrastructure such as electricity generation. Another very important fact is that tidal requires a massive amount of moving parts/machinery. Making this system costly to maintain and un-reliable.
Posted by ALTRAV, Friday, 8 December 2017 10:01:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 30
  7. 31
  8. 32
  9. Page 33
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy