The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Will Prince Charles ever be King?

Will Prince Charles ever be King?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
I thought that a change of topic might be
interesting.

According to a recent article in a magazine
Queen Elizabeth has decided that her grandson
Prince William will skip past his father and take
the throne with his wife the Duchess of Cambridge,
I'd like to know what posters on this forum think
were this to happen?

I had taken for granted that the eldest son of the
Queen would inherit the throne.

Was I wrong?
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 20 November 2017 5:43:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
personally Foxy I see the days of the royal family limited simply because they are out dated and little more than a drain on the public purse.

Bring on the next republic debate, or perhaps it's important enough a topic to hold a public vote. I doubt it, but here's hoping.
Posted by rehctub, Monday, 20 November 2017 9:24:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If one is not her majesty, one has no way of knowing who will replace Queen Elizabeth II. However, Prince William seems to be far more popular choice than Prince Charles. One can't understand how several generations of breeding with the pick of the opposite gender produced Charles.
Posted by benk, Monday, 20 November 2017 10:30:02 PM
I've been hearing this rumour ever since Prince William turned 18. I suspect it is just that: a rumour. I mean, could you imagine doing that to your own son, regardless of how unpopular he is?

It could be what's keeping Betty alive. Prince William is far more popular, after all (and parents sometimes outlive their children (both mine and my wife's grandparents outlived their oldest children)), but I doubt she'd do that to her own son.

Ever since the death of Diana, poor ol' Chuck has been doing his darnedest win the public's approval. But, unfortunately, he just looks so awkward doing it.
Posted by AJ Philips, Monday, 20 November 2017 11:07:04 PM
//I had taken for granted that the eldest son of the
Queen would inherit the throne.

Was I wrong?//

It isn't the Queen's call, the succession is up to the Parliament. There are a few Acts which cover succession, most recently updated in 2013 to remove the preference for male heirs over female ones. All of those Acts are quite clear that Chuck is next in line for the throne. Her Maj can make all the suggestion she wants to Parliament but they're free to ignore her, and unless they make amendments or pass new legislation Chuck becomes King the moment she kicks the bucket.

Of course, there is always the possibility of Chuck abdicating in favour of Bill.

//One can't understand how several generations of breeding with the pick of the opposite gender produced Charles.//

Because those 'several generations of breeding' were in fact several generations of inbreeding. When one blood relative and another blood relative love each other very much.... you get results like Chuck, or the soulless, ginger freak that is Harry.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Tuesday, 21 November 2017 5:18:04 AM
Charles for King, it's time that those gates were opened.
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 21 November 2017 7:55:21 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy