The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is this it and where to now?

Is this it and where to now?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. All
Many have asked the queston and out of their own beliefs, a lot of us will go to heaven, we know (maybe) where the rest of us end up. when one eventually kicks the can, we had lived a life with a magnificent brain together with all the other vital functions of sustaining life,
when we go, is there in fact an afterlife? Does the brain in fact die and for the average of 65 years on this planet, is that it? I believe there is something more to it than this, maybe this earth is a preparation and test for the after life, if there is one. Sceptics seem to know that when the time comes, thats it. Then why do we hear stories of those fortunate ones (or unfortunate) that have nearly died on the operating table and had visions of a life more glorious (or so they interpret) and they seem to compare this with what we call a "heaven" when in actual fact, it could be the other world we are destined to go to.
Posted by SPANKY, Thursday, 5 July 2007 4:06:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Interesting thought, hope we can look at it from a not my God is better than your God view.
What do I think? not sure! but twice in my life I thought a dead loved one was near me, in fact knew.
Worth noting the Bible says it can not be so not even Jesus has come back yet.
We mostly think some form of after life exists just maybe mans brain is greater than we can believe.
Maybe it comforts us in that last dieing thought.
If a God known to us exists we are little more than toys in the biggest sand box you ever saw.
Alive only to worship and live as we are told or else?
death is death final and forever but I admire mans brain.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 5 July 2007 6:08:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Belly, you're right, although this has a somewhat religious tinge to it, my thoughts are not in that direction, more the interest of why we hear of so many people who have had near death experiences or someone going to a spot and digging up a box they buried in their so-called previous life. I figure there is some kind of connection here as I have to date, read some 200 reports of people iether remembering places they have never set foot in and gone to the place without being given directions. Some may think this a hoax, still, the brain is a fantastic tool and cannot imagine this machine we call a body, driven by the brain, just disintegrates to nothingness. Why do we talk to loved ones who've pass over? Why do some of insist on contacting the afterlife? We hear of people who can prove this afterlife, of which I must see to believe, I am also a sceptic but with an open mind, people try to contact lost loved ones as an escape or comfort. There are too many stories going around on this subject and I doubt without just cause.
Posted by SPANKY, Friday, 6 July 2007 3:32:01 AM
As a continuation,those who can afford to go into cryogenic state, in other words, freeze until a remedy is found far ahead in the future, is beyond me. Once the body, brain and other major functions are dead, how can anyone expect to have all of the above revived and expect to continue living? I suppose it's "have money-will do" senario. I brought up this topic as this is maybe the possible one sure way of being able to ensure one sees the future hundreds of years ahead, but who is going to sustain your "capsule" until then?
Medicine is far more advanced than we are lead to believe, just like we think the US government is in fact hiding something, always covering up, they already know 10-20 years if not more than we are lead to believe for todays knowledge, they just cannot let too much out at one time, for fear of mass panic.
Posted by SPANKY, Friday, 6 July 2007 5:36:15 AM
Yes, thats all there is folks. The message is, live the life you have to the fullest because there are no second chances.

Heaven is a comforting little fairy story for those unable to face the reality of death.
Posted by PF, Friday, 6 July 2007 10:09:56 AM
I have studied every philosopher from the pre-Socratics to Peter Singer, major writers such as C.S. Lewis, Tolstoy and Shakespeare, every religion and every variation of every religion from ancient Mesopotamia to many denominations of Christianity, genetics and physiology, and hundreds of "Afterlife" i.e. "near-death experiences" (NDEs). At the end of the day, it all boils down to two things: faith and hope. You cannot prove either scientifically using physics, biochemistry, diagnostic technology e.g. CT, MRI and PET scans, nor can the human sciences of psychology and psychiatry. Plato advises us in "Republic" to live a virtuous and just life. The Holy Bible gives us the 10 Commandments and The Beatitudes. Live your life by these maxims and the Afterlife will take care of itself.
Posted by teddles, Friday, 6 July 2007 11:30:32 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy