The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is it time to 'accept all' in a move towards improved communities?

Is it time to 'accept all' in a move towards improved communities?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Acceptance of those who have committed activity, in terms of what some may consider offensive or unforgivable activity, may be a challenge to some. I though see this as something potentially worthy of taking on.

One media story titled 'North Carolina Pastor and Wife Forgive Driver Who Killed Their Young Sons in Car Crash', said: "Forgiveness can be a tricky thing. But like my brother said during the service, forgiving the driver was easy and hard all at the same time.

Hard because our natural inclination is to cling to the pain and hurt and even anger. Easy because we believe in a good God."

http://people.com/celebrity/pastor-and-wife-forgive-driver-who-killed-their-young-sons-in-car-crash/

Do we as humans want to live in a society, governed by a legal system in which all of those who work within a courtroom make money, when there are better opportunities to improve those living in the community, by being inclusive, showing encouragement and accepting all and not living off hate?
Posted by NathanJ, Wednesday, 18 October 2017 10:54:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is extremely and unlikely to ever become reality, quote "by being inclusive" some people just do not want to do what you or others do.

This is confusing Quote "Do we as humans want to live in a society, governed by a legal system in which all of those who work within a courtroom make money, when there are better opportunities to improve those living in the community," ARE you saying instead of paying for courts and a legal system we should just forgive offenders.
IT may work with some people but very doubtful it would work with the majority after you forgive them one time two times and so on what are you going to do?

You can only turn the cheek so many times before your blood boils over and you strike out.

Also the greater the disparity between rich and poor the less likely your dream will become to fruition.
Posted by Philip S, Thursday, 19 October 2017 11:09:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Nathan,

Paul Collins wrote a book - it's title -
"Believers: Does Australian Catholicism have a future?"

In it Collins tells us that the
most radical aspect of the teachings of Christ goes beyond
even the commandment of love - is His insistence on forgiveness,
even of enemies. Collins states that "Christ's ordinance of
total love, of self-offering to the assailant, is in any strict
sense, an enormity. The victim is to love his butcher.
A monstrous proposition. But one shedding fathomless light.
How are mortal men and women to fulfill it?"

Collins points out that here is the real core of Christ's moral
teaching. Everything else is secondary.

But who of us would be really capable of doing that in our
everyday lives? Wouldn't forgiveness seem like weakness,
especially within an extreme terrorist context where the
"lex talionis" is seen as justified and even exalted by some
Muslims as an aspect of "jihad". This confronts the Christian
with the question of how we should respond to outrages like
the 9/11 terrorist attacks on New York, and the Bali, Madrid and
London bombings. Should we turn the other cheek?

What would turning the other cheek have achieved?

Collins tells us that - "Personally, I think it would have
achieved a lot more that the so called "war on terror".
He goes on to say that "Only a true superior statesperson would
have shamed and isolated the terrorists by saying "I forgive
you." This according to Collins would have been accompanied
by intelligent and astute-diplomatic and political work to
isolate the terrorists and by appealing to the vast majority
of sensible, civilised and peaceful Muslims.

Sadly we are not governed by such intelligent political leaders.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 19 October 2017 1:00:28 PM
Terrorists are impressed by Reaper and AC-130. 'A sign from above on the wings of a dove'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMtL_kqUxN4

What's not to like about a surprise trip to Hades for them?
Posted by leoj, Thursday, 19 October 2017 3:07:14 PM
For no particular reason, other than leoj posted an old favorite, I'll stick up my partners favorite spiritual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhtL7WFnnmg

p/s Foxy, "T" does a rather good one of this herself when she gets up and sings.

For me, I'll chuck in my favorite sad song of all times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnRRZ4b_FS8

A few beers in and my mate Nikko does Green Green Grass of Home, the drunker he is the better he sounds. only joking, he's got a good voice, and I'll do that one above, only because I know the words, and its not too hard to sing.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 19 October 2017 8:11:42 PM
Foxy,

As Paul Collins believes that Christ is God then how would he explain that Christ, who, (Collins would also believe), knows all things, past, present and future, allowed Peter to carry a sword.

Christ would have known that Peter was about to do some ear lopping, yet He chose not to stop Peter.

Thus the religious recognition and justification of the right of self defence or the defence of an innocent person.
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 20 October 2017 2:24:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy