The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Tony Abbott and the Volcano Gods

Tony Abbott and the Volcano Gods

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All
Aidan,

1-
"It was widely seen as impossible because analysis at the time indicated it required carbon emissions to fall to zero within seven years, a speed deemed “incompatible with democracy” by one climate economist. However, an updated analysis using the latest data shows the global carbon emissions budget that meets the 1.5C goal is significantly bigger than thought, equivalent to 20 years of current annual emissions."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/sep/18/ambitious-15c-paris-climate-target-is-still-possible-new-analysis-shows

"The worst impacts of climate change can still be avoided, senior scientists have said after revising their previous predictions. The world has warmed more slowly than had been forecast by computer models, which were “on the hot side” and overstated the impact of emissions, a new study has found. Its projections suggest that the world has a better chance than previously claimed of meeting the goal set by the Paris agreement on climate change to limit warming to 1.5C above pre-industrial levels. The study, published in the journal Nature Geoscience, makes clear that rapid reductions in emissions will still be required but suggests that the world has more time to make the changes."

2-
Firstly I never said dedicated baseload generation, as there is no such thing as all generators can vary supply to match generation to some extent, just as no standby generators can come online instantly.

I'm sorry that you don't have the mental horsepower to grasp the concepts, so I suggest you read the latest AEMO reports.

3-
Also, I never said that there should be inaction, rather judicious action that does cause power prices to rocket, the system to become unstable, and industries to shut down and/ or move to cheaper environments instead of hurtling headlong into a South Australian like disaster.

Similarly, like most of the world's economists, I don't agree with your lunatic fringe infinite debt version of economics. Debt has to be paid back with interest.

Small reactors are more expensive per unit of power, and the most cost-effective are large modern multi-reactor power stations with 2 or more 1500MW reactors. 5 of these for around $35bn would reduce our emissions by nearly 50%.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Saturday, 14 October 2017 1:05:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy