The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > boat people

boat people

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All
Firstly turning the boats around seems to be an effective deterrent and no one has needed to be detained since 2013, Secondly, Nauru is still available.

It is only the Neo Nazis from the left that want to see asylum seekers drowning.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 12 September 2017 9:57:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Hasbeen,

You really are full of it aren't you.

You get pulled up about wanting to blow refugees out of the water then you simper some weak excuse;

"As for helping those destitute, if that is actually what you want to do, a few dollars will go a damn site further, in the country of origin of these so called refugees, & it will help many multiples more people, than what the same dollars will do, over supplying a few of them here."

However you are very much of record for opposing any money going overseas for aid. The only thing you would send was "Australian made goods".

I know it must be exceedingly difficult but how about some traces of humanity and consistency.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Tuesday, 12 September 2017 10:13:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi SteeleRedux,

Sixty five million refugees across the world, and counting.

So, given your huge humanitarian heart, how many should Australia take each year ? Sixty five million ? Something a bit less ? A million ? A hundred thousand ?

Now we're getting somewhere. Fifty thousand ? Twenty thousand in government care, and another twenty thousand billeted by good, kind Left-virtuous people such as yourself, free of charge ? Each year ? Ten thousand each then in following years ? Five thousand ? Two thousand ? Seventy, like in NZ ?

Think about it carefully, don't rush. We can wait :)

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 12 September 2017 10:20:36 AM
Dear SM,

«It is only the Neo Nazis from the left that want to see asylum seekers drowning.»

Only an extreme handful of people like to see others drown.
Nevertheless, if asylum seekers do regretfully drown, then it is by the hands of nature.

Sad as it may be, I rather let nature take its course than raise a finger against anyone myself.

Had Australia not claimed to be a democracy, then whatever it did would have been beyond my control and none of my business. However, since the government of Australia does claim to be democratically elected and thus to represent me, including by its proactive incarceration and torture of others (presumably in the name of "saving them from drowning"), it becomes my duty to object and state loud and clear: "Not in my name!"
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 12 September 2017 10:25:01 AM
Availability of islands should not be an issue. All we have to do is turn the boats back. It is not our problem where they go back to - it has, in the past been Indonesia,where they have arrived with full documentation, which they destroy to come here illegally. I hope this sentimental bulldust about people foolishly risking death at sea is not going to raise its silly head again.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 12 September 2017 11:02:18 AM
As the Rohingas are being forced out of their own country then the solution is to force those that are oppressing them to stop doing so.
Sanctions and if necessary military action by the UN.

We may have a moral obligation to help them but not to take them in, and by so doing help their oppressors, and the same goes for elsewhere in the world.
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 12 September 2017 11:29:15 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All