The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is the 'Special Persons Day' message just the beginning

Is the 'Special Persons Day' message just the beginning

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. All
Dear AJ,

People need to show real discipline in not taking the
bait as they are being provoked. We need to have respectful
conversation, not angry debates, insults or political
diversions and finger-pointing. As Tiernan Brady points
out. Marriage Equality is not merely an argument about
policy or an issue it is about real people. It is about
their status and dignity in our society.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/15/we-must-campaign-for-marriage-equality-with-the-same-dignity-and-respect-we-are-seeking
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 6 September 2017 2:35:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The thing was a complete fizzer. There is still a limit to the nonsense that most Australians will tolerate from idiots. For example, I am advised by one of my daughters that all the girls walked out on the barking-mad Clementine Ford when she refused to take questions from boys at a recent event. We must never forget that all females are not lunatics.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 6 September 2017 2:45:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
special persons day is April 1
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 6 September 2017 3:54:58 PM
Foxy:

“It is about their status and dignity in our society.”

Nobody needs status and dignity since they already have those things by virtue of being a human being. No one can take those things away from you and it is emotionally manipulative to suggest that they can. It is trying to engender sympathy for a situation that does not exist.
Posted by phanto, Wednesday, 6 September 2017 5:02:02 PM
Dear ttbn,

I'm sure that you'll also agree
that not all men are intelligent.

Dear runner,

April 1st is the date you've chosen.
Interesting.

Dear phanto,

Tiernan Brady is an Irish politician and LGBT rights
and equality campaigner. He is the Director of Australians
for Equality which runs the Equality Campaign for Marriage
Equality in Australia with Australian Marriage Equality.
He has pointed out in several articles that we must
all vote with our consciences but also with respect for
each other and most importantly with respect for the
people whose views do not agree with our own.

He emphasised that we need to have a respectful conversation
not angry or insulting debates that Marriage Equality is not
merely an argument about policy or an issue but that it is
about real people. That it is about their status and dignity
in society. He was speaking from experience as a gay man.
I wish that it was true that people in the LGBT community
did enjoy the status and dignity in our society that they
as human beings are entitled to do. But according to Ternan,
they do not. And he is speaking from his
own experiences.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 6 September 2017 5:33:29 PM
//With the suggestion of replacing fathers day with 'special persons day' now a hot debate//

A hot debate? This is the first I've heard of it. I'm going to assume that it is only 'hot' for a given value of hot.

//thanks largely to Woolworths, is this just the beginning of what these people have on their agenda.//

Well if it's Woolworths we're talking about, there is only one thing on their agenda: profit. Because too much market share is never enough.

Father's Day (and Mother's Day, Valentine's Day etc.), in their current form, are largely the creation of advertisers, in an effort to get us to consume more. And hey, it works: Father's Day is great for retailers. I bought my dad a blueberry bush: he enjoys gardening, the local nursery enjoy my money, and I get a warm fuzzy.

Apparently the ad men have done so well that Father's Day is so sacred that anything perceived as a threat to it is abomination. But I think you've got the wrong end of the stick, butcher.

I really, really doubt that retailers want to replace Father's Day: I think they want to create another Special Consumer Day in the eternal quest for a bigger nest of gold on which to rest their scaly heads. Hey, it's worked before.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Wednesday, 6 September 2017 5:47:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy