The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Minor's Firearm Permits at 10 years of age.

Minor's Firearm Permits at 10 years of age.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. 16
  13. ...
  14. 21
  15. 22
  16. 23
  17. All
Dear Paul,

I think it is pretty common knowledge that Howard regretted wearing the vest. He said he didn't feel unsafe.
http://www.smh.com.au/national/seizing-the-moment-on-gun-control-changed-australia-john-howard-20160424-godwg6.html

My relative is ex AFP from that time. He says for the the VIP Protection Squad to be so insistent on him wearing it is a pretty sure sign that they would have been privy to intelligence of some nature indicating a threat.

Following that advice should not unsurprising on a practical level for anyone given it by the team tasked with his safety. However Howard also was well aware of the politics of the situation which made the decision understandably difficult for him.

I dislike the man and his politics however I would not class him as a timid man. There are those who feel insulted by what he did, but in reality they are saying this man should have set aside expert advice, possibly removing a form of protection that might have saved his life if the unthinkable happened, just because their feelings are a little bit hurt.

Bloody snowflakes the lot of them.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Saturday, 12 August 2017 8:02:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul1405,

Sure, it was actually, "I'm sorry I did". `The Howard Years Pt2/6, 4:56
To add, you should not be judging others by your own standards.

While I liked some things that Howard did and had a regard for him, he had scant regard for others views, outside of his political spinmeister, that is. He asked but he was doing what he wanted to anyway. That leadership was outmoded before he became PM, complexity and technology saw to that.

I am very happy that he is not PM with the same slack team who allowed him his head, with Trump as US President. Otherwise Little Deputy MkII, might be sending some small Oz Navy vessel to test a certain country's resolve on behalf of Uncle Sam.

To the point of the present discussion, John Howard should have listened to the advice of his ministers and properly consulted with all stakeholders. But he didn't. He bullied ahead and he has the unenviable record of posting a huge loss of taxpayers' dollars and the misdirection of significant police resources and manpower to monitoring ordinary, innocent citizens.

Meanwhile, feared drug gangs have established in Australia and 'Howard's Way' (of 'gun control') hasn't deterred them at all. As is obvious fro the Middle Eastern OMGs who are shooting one another over territory, it can't even lay a glove on them.

How can that be where Howard's 'gun control' is so beaut and world class, the 'gold standard' and a lesson to all?
Posted by leoj, Saturday, 12 August 2017 8:09:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Steele,

It's not that he wore a bullet resistant vest but that others, often in far more danger, are denied this piece of safety equipment.

Paul,

In your dreams, you couldn't win in a three match draw even if you cut the matches.
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 12 August 2017 8:10:15 PM
Now I recall Howard did say something to that effect. Good that leoj who claims to be evidence based puts up his evidence.
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 13 August 2017 6:58:38 AM
I would like to return to the thread topic. Most here would be interested in helping students who do have more limited outdoors and too much time on screens.

It was said earlier that the Minor's Firearm Permits promote outside activity for all and regardless of gender. Great for the brain, novelty and concentration, calming and social acceptance. Great for the body, movement, outdoors or in an enclosed range.

And it is a diversion that strongly discourages illicit drugs and builds confidence and pride. It is NOT the environment and social circle where drugs will be part of the life of contacts.

It is a fact that most student (and adult) games that were invented for physical release and fun, have all been reduced to competition. Play tennis and there is likely someone at the other end (maybe partnering you) who would smash a racquet out of anger. In football as in other sports, the body has to be built for the game.

I was lucky enough through genetic inheritance and years doing farm work alongside men, to competitive at athletics, swimming and footy to name a few. The sports served me well to cope with, to shed, the otherwise crushing worries of workloads and stresses of study. The sports provided social contact and friends and probably some immunity to bullying.

There is a need to introduce more options for ALL students, while retaining what is there already (don't throw the baby out with the bathwater).

An air-rifle range is a good option for schools where space is usually at a premium. It is very cheap to instal and manage and likely enough there would be free coaches, skilled parents, sourced from clubs. However the aim should be to have older students taking the younger under their wing, for mutual benefit.
Posted by leoj, Sunday, 13 August 2017 9:52:17 AM
Hi STEELEREDUX...

Your AFP relative was quite right when he said there may've been an increased 'threat assessment' on the PM at that time. As you may be aware a lot of 'successful' policing comes down to 'tips' 'scuttlebutt' and intelligence gained from many sources as well as the Bureau of Criminal Intelligence. Without it, the job would be that much harder.

Of course, there was nothing preventing a headshot on the PM on that day, as IS MISE quite rightfully pointed out. The thing is; if his 'Close Personal Protection Team' failed to take some 'seemingly' adequate measures for his safety, and he was 'knocked'. Then when you did jump the box at the Coroners Court (and yes, even the 'sudden' death of a PM 'MUST' be subject to a Coronial Inquiry) if it can't be shown that his Protection Team took all reasonable measures to protect him, given the emotive address he was to give on that day? The man in charge would lose so much skin 'n bark, to a point he'd become unrecognisable!

It all comes down to that golden rule in the Job - 'cover your arse'. Or that favourite Physics equation that's much favoured by police hierarchies everywhere; 'praise & acclaim' always goes up; AND all the detritus & excreta always goes down, irrespective of where the true merit lies?
Posted by o sung wu, Sunday, 13 August 2017 1:05:42 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. 16