The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Minor's Firearm Permits at 10 years of age.

Minor's Firearm Permits at 10 years of age.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 21
  8. 22
  9. 23
  10. All
The Editorial in yesterday's Sun-Herald was headed,

"Giving ten-year-olds access to guns is a disaster waiting to happen"

I found the Editorial most interesting (but not from the Editor's viewpoint)!

The opening sentence in the Editorial is:
"The sight of 13-year-old Sean Donato peering down the barrel of a loaded rifle is a confronting one."

It would indeed be confronting, no matter who was doing it!!

The Editor, in his ignorance, was, one presumes, talking about Sean aiming his rifle not looking down the barrel, the which is done from the front (muzzle) end/

Seems that Fairfax in their recent purge of journos and Editorial staff missed one that has a poor command of English.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 7 August 2017 5:41:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I received my first .22 at 10 years old. I was deemed "responsible enough" to have my own rifle. I had an apprenticeship with a "Daisy" from when I was about eight. Dad would not have given me that rifle if he had any thoughts of me being irresponsible with it. I never was.

I had one kid come out with me a couple of times but then I wouldn't take him out again. I ran into him a few years ago & I still wouldn't take him & that's 40 odd years later.

However, most kids I see now-a-days should not be given a knife & fork until they reach their 20's. (some of them) I would not like to be wandering around the bush with some kid with a loaded rifle & an iPhone.

Of course you can't wander around the bush anymore because of the built-up areas. Responsible kids could be taken to a properly conducted Range & taught Safety & handling of a firearm before they would be allowed onto the Mound. I have no problem with that. Caveat. They would have to be deemed responsible enough for that exercise beforehand. A lot would fail now-a-days.

I take it that we are talking about "City" kids.
Posted by Jayb, Tuesday, 8 August 2017 11:14:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
None of them have 'access' to a firearm. The permits are for use under the supervision of a duly licensed and authorised person who is present at all times.

It is highly competitive and is a very good interest, recreation and discipline for youth, encouraging them to take good care of body and mind,

http://corporate.olympics.com.au/sports/shooting

Cheap to get into, a weekend activity, friendly and you don't have to be gifted with a 'Ninja' body and buckets of testosterone. Young people, women, do well, as shown by their international accomplishments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDugAx2Zk8E
Posted by leoj, Tuesday, 8 August 2017 11:50:31 AM
I've no problem giving a youngster of ten years of age a firearm permit, provided he/she's trained properly, by a licensed adult shooter in all the necessary safety aspects with that F/A, and he shoots at all times, under the supervision of a licensed adult.

My first 'gun' as it were, was a 'Crack a Jack' brand air-rifle; I got about 1948. Whereas to load the thing, you'd invert the weapon, pushed the muzzle carefully down, thus engaging the main spring. To load, you'd simply drop a .177 pellet down the cocked muzzle, manually pulled the muzzle portion of the barrel back up to it's full extent, and the weapon was in readiness to fire.

Ballistically, it had a muzzle velocity of about 2500ft per 'hour', and would utterly terrify all animate objects - nevertheless it taught me about F/A safety. A mate of mine at school, had exactly the same gun, both of of us purchased it, from the same pushbike shop, for 30/- new.

Only he cleverly put a .177 pellet right into his thumb fooling around with it during the loading process, which caused him some pain and bleeding, but worse still, his Dad confiscated his beloved 'Crack A Jack' leaving him in tears. We were both aged eight years, at the time, too young you might say to be unsupervised with a gun; clearly in my mates case, however moi, who knows?
Posted by o sung wu, Tuesday, 8 August 2017 2:54:55 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As dangerous in young hands as a pedal cycle? No :)
Not to mention the array of chemicals and implements around the modern home and garage.

There used to be the mid-week and weekend air rifle competitions in the clubs. In one I used to go to they stood with backs to the bar and shot targets on a wall opposite. You'd wait for the shots and to walk through to the cafe/restaurant behind. Not like darts, the competitors were as sober as. Demanding comps and very tight groups of shots. Hard to do well.

There were air & BB cap pistol events too. Very social and always good cheer.

I wonder how many of the friendly competitions are still going?
They would need a Certified First Aider and a Wa Wa Wambulance on call for the media-induced hysteria today. To treat the always offended, fainting, set.
Posted by leoj, Tuesday, 8 August 2017 3:36:53 PM
OSW: My first 'gun' as it were, was a 'Crack a Jack' brand air-rifle; I got about 1948.

I remember the Cracker-Jacks. Didn't they have a push Rod to push the Pellet to the bottom. Mine was a second hand "Diana 16."

I still had it up until I left the North Yard Railways Workshop in Townsville in 1995. The wife's first husband blew himself away so she wouldn't let me have a gun in the house. Then there was the new laws, it was safer to have it at work. No Questions. I'd used it to knock the Pigeons nesting on the Roof.
Posted by Jayb, Tuesday, 8 August 2017 3:54:41 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 21
  8. 22
  9. 23
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy