The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > My plea to fellow Muslims: you must renounce terror.

My plea to fellow Muslims: you must renounce terror.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
As I understood the news the two men arrested were not shouting Buddha, Buddha but something rather different. I very much doubt however that Allah would approve their actions.
The "politically correct, do not criticise, equal opportunity, multicultural" brigade has something to answer here too. Europe (in particular the UK) has allowed itself to be taken over by an ideology which allows fundamental Islamists to spread their messages of hate and influence public policy.
If we moved to Iran or Pakistan or Afghanistan we would be expecteed to abide by their laws and behave in the ways they wished us to behave. This is not the case in 'the West'. We have bowed to "cultural and religious sensitivities" and demands that we "respect the religious beliefs of others". Fundamentalists have seen that as a weakness and exploited it - to the detriment of everyone. Anyone who believes that women should be covered from head to toe (to the detriment of their health) and have their partners chosen for them and cannot mix freely in society is guilty of abuse. (We have a similar lot locally with the Exclusive Brethren so yes, there are abuses in our culture too - but at least the EB do not approve violence and, on the whole, do not proselytise even if they do try to influence.)
Posted by Communicat, Monday, 2 July 2007 9:09:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ran off saying budda budda? even fox would not lie so well.
They cried Allah over and again, we can point to extremists in every religion but you will not find as many in any religion as Islam.
However we one day must be very brave, very wise and dump every man made invented God.
None truly exist or existed and to kill in the name of one is lunacy
This evil we be exposed here in Australia, in time we will learn to hate with the same inhuman blindness.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 2 July 2007 10:03:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
avoiding terrorism:

http://ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1183184822
Posted by freediver, Monday, 2 July 2007 10:04:17 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The peaceful Christian alternative has been to make continual false promises to their governments, install oppressive dictatorial governments into their countries, occupy their lands and plunder their resources.

If there has really been the Muslim/Christian conflict that many of you believe exists, we should have been at constant war for the last 1400 years, not the steadily growing grievances since the first World War.

Are they really likely to change their beliefs to a religion that has brutalised them in this way?

We don't need to convert them to Christianity as long as we willingly convert their children into ash but then complain if there is a hostile response.

Terrorism is not the problem - it is a symptom of another problem.

If you follow the logic of many of these posts, the only lasting solution is to kill every last Muslim so the Christian world can live on as an example of loving peace.
Posted by wobbles, Monday, 2 July 2007 11:45:26 AM
Wobbles that post was strange, who among us even Boaz David has ever claimed Christians want to remove Islam?
I think you may well be lost on this issue, are you from the Muslim community?
Sorry if it offends you.
But I remain convinced lies are as much a weapon for some in that community as any gun.
And used as often as I use my car keys or mobile phone.
And we should not overlook the thread starters good intent or the fact many from within that community think like that.
To defend evil is to be part of that evil.
After this terror is seen in my country we will need a great deal more of this type of threads thoughts and far less of the mindless lies.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 2 July 2007 1:30:03 PM
Interesting set of responses.

Let me make my own position clear.

In a democracy there are multiple legitimate ways of bringing about policy change. A resort to threats and violence is not one of them. This is a message that needs to be driven home to Muslims and everybody else.

In a sense therefore it makes no difference whether Muslim terrorists are motivated by British foreign policy, by honours for Salman Rushdie, or by Muhammed cartoons. The answer has to be the same:

--No, blowing us up is not a legitimate response to your perceived grievances; and

--No, we are not going to contemplate a change in policy because you go around planting bombs; and

--If you want to bring about a change in policy choose from the many legitimate options available to you.

I want to suggest to people like steel and wobbles who take up the cudgels on behalf of Muslims in this forum that they make one thing clear. They are not condoning a violent response to perceived grievances in the UK, Australia or any democratic country.

The interesting question is this. Why is it that in Western countries in 2007 it is from the Muslim communities that an ultra-violent reaction to perceived grievances is most likely to emanate?

Is a violent reaction intrinsic to Islam?

It seems clear that a violent reaction to perceived grievances is intrinsic to certain interpretations of Islam that are by no means marginal in 2007.

An aside. A news report on the ABC states:

"A new report has shown up to 3,000 young Muslims in Sydney alone could be susceptible to radicalisation by fundamentalist Islam."

The report also quotes one David Wright-Neville from Monash University who doubts there is much of a homegrown threat here.

(See: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/07/02/1967240.htm)

Interestingly, however, those arrested in Britain so far appear to be foreign nationals.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Monday, 2 July 2007 1:31:22 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy