The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > How come a Royal Commission in the NT is unaware?

How come a Royal Commission in the NT is unaware?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Banjo,

My anti-ads screening was at work. I opened the first and third, thank you. That was enough revulsion for today.

Like you I am constantly surprised and dismayed by the politicians, academics and senior bureaucrats who turn a blind eye and even run spin to counter any disclosure. That is being 'Progressive', apparently.

Nothing there where Triggs was concerned either.

Talk with country health workers and police and stories of young aboriginal children suffering sexually transmitted diseases, neglect and abuse surface.

I am heartened that you and some others are still fighting the good fight. Sadly you will not be helped by the ABC and SBS who have a vested interest in promoting and furthering the prevailing political correctness, particularly where multiculturalism is concerned.

One wonders how politicians can sleep at night.
Posted by leoj, Saturday, 1 July 2017 12:28:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"One wonders how politicians can sleep at night"

For most of them there is not a quid in it.
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 1 July 2017 12:52:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Banjo,

Child protection should be everyone's responsibility.

In the NT children will only be protected when
everyday citizens will take personal responsibility
for child protection. It has to start with the
communities themselves. If no one is concerned about
the children in any of their communities then
nothing is going to change. Communities need to look at
the issues, not look away and pretend it is not happening.
If things are not reported - what can the Royal Commission
actually do? From my understanding they can only act
once a report has been made - and then they can proceed
to gather evidence.

If things are not reported - the problem will continue to
escalate.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 1 July 2017 6:20:48 PM
cont'd ...

Dear Banjo,

And the problem is a very big one as the following
link shows:

http://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/health/aboriginal-sexual-abuse#axzz41ZAhZU61
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 1 July 2017 6:30:11 PM
Foxy,
Yes, I agree entirely. It is absolutely useless trying to ignore the issue and blaming the messenger like what happened the other day. You know when I saw the female barrister accusing the former minister on the video, I could see people in the background nodding in agreement with her. They have a serious problem and it must be acknowledged to start with. Why can't they see that?

Years ago, when Mal Brough introduced the NT Intervention I was hopeful there would be change, but it now appears little has changed. Although sometimes I again get hopeful when Joe tells us about the number of aboriginal young going to Uni. Surely more educated people must help one would think.

I don't have any ideas about what can be done but I am hopeful that Nana and Joe may put forward some comments as they both seem to speak common sense. I believe the blame game must end and the communities themselves have to lead the way in stopping the child abuse. Culture is very hard to change. We cannot even get politicians to act on FGM and underage marriages in some migrant communities down here in the South let alone act on cultural issues in remote areas.
Posted by Banjo, Saturday, 1 July 2017 7:33:01 PM
like very unpalatable practices in Islamic culture so much is ignored and a blind eye turned to Indigeneous culture. Many in the industry know the general public would be horrified if it was made public what goes on. The getup clowns are to busy with fake news than real issues.
Posted by runner, Saturday, 1 July 2017 7:55:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy