The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Are we a nation of non believers?

Are we a nation of non believers?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All
Religion has been responsible for the odd war over the years. Besides that i think religion has run its course. not to mention the activities of the priests and associated persons that would have you believe they are community leaders.
Religious persons are fearful of what archaeologists find out about our past.
Some people have affiliation to the rhesus monkey, and other people have been subject to genetic manipulation. What ever the outcome life will go on.
Posted by doog, Wednesday, 28 June 2017 10:36:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
yep the gullible continue to sign up for the gw faith based on the evolution myth. Sadly they call it science. Any rational person could not swallow such garbage.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 28 June 2017 10:45:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I attended our granddaughters 'Conformation' into the Catholic Church only a week ago. The church was full, about 50 or 60 children were receiving the sacrament. Around the alter were seven men, average age about 50, dressed in their religious garb, One was the Bishop, I could tell that as he was wearing the Bishops miter (conical shaped hat) and he was better dressed than the others. I assume the rest were priests and acolytes. The service was totally contrived, and filled with ritual and incantations. The Bishop led the parade, and delivered a sermon for about 20 minutes, on the wonders of receiving the 'Holy Sprite' formally the 'Holy Ghost' (In this day of enlightenment sprites are good, ghosts are bad. I suppose the Holy what ever he is told them that). For a bunch of 11 and 12 year old's he would have been better off lecturing them on quantum physics, it would have made more sense.

The highlight of the evening was dinner down at the local pagan restaurant (Chinese). I asked XXXX what she got out of the whole thing. She said I got the "Holy Sprite', I said what is that? She said; "He is a kind of god!"

p/s Traditionally it is custom, to give the recipient a gift, normally something religious like a bible. I bought the gift, a book on 'The Universe' from big bang to today.My partner said to me; "Why that book" I said; "Well its good if our girl gets something worthwhile out of it." She said "Typical of you!"
In my book there is not one mention of the 'Holy Ghost' in 100 odd pages. Seen her Sunday, and told told me how much she loves the book, and is learning so much from it. Good, you can even learn from religion. BTW not long back the Catholic Church would have burnt me and the book as heresy!

p/p/s At least the children didn't have to kiss the Bishops ring like I did in my day. Which can be quite offputting if he hasn't wiped his ring lately.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 28 June 2017 10:49:13 AM
Dear Nathan,

I think that many people today may no longer believe deeply
in traditional religion, but at the same time they may
not have found a satisfying substitute. Of course, others
have found a satisfying substitute.

Lets take a look at religion and why it still exists today
for many people.

The rituals enacted in any religion enhance the solidarity
of the community as well as its faith. Religious rituals
such as babtism, bar mitzvah, weddings, Sabbath services,
Christmas mass, and funerals - they serve to bring people
together; to remind them of their common group membership;
to reaffirm their traditional values; to maintain prohibitions
and taboos; to offer comfort in times of crisis; and in
general, to help transmit the cultural heritage from one
generation to the next.

Shared religious beliefs and the rituals that go with them
have been so important in most people's lives that if they
don't have religious beliefs then at least most people need
some belief system that serves the same functions. Otherwise
lacking commitment in a shared belief system they tend to
pursue their private interests without regard for their
fellows.

We also need to remember that there are still gaps in our
understanding on the ultimate important questions - of the
meaning and purpose of life and the nature of morality.
I think that few people of modern societies would utterly
deny the possibility of some higher power in the universe,
some supernatural, transcendental realm that lies beyond
the boundaries of ordinary experience, and in this
fundamental sense religion is probably here to stay.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 28 June 2017 11:14:36 AM
I'm surprised that people here have ignored the larger picture.
It's not only Christians who believe in a higher power. All religions do.
Which, based on census figures means that 70% of Australians still believe in some form of religion.
Added to this, perhaps it would be interesting to see a comparison between the reduced number of people who have some form of faith and the increased numbers of people with mental health disorders and addiction problems.
Regardless of whether that faith in a higher power is based on a truth, no one can ever deny that religion has provided a form of support for people in crisis or traumatic situations,or even just to help them through a difficult time.
Didn't religion used to be known as " opium for the masses?"
Quite frankly, if it's a choice between drugs and religion I know what I would prefer.
Posted by Big Nana, Wednesday, 28 June 2017 11:27:10 AM
Hi Foxy, my Father use to say "Religion, is the work of the Devil." Given what has gone on, and still goes on, I think I should agree.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 28 June 2017 11:30:59 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy