The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Immigration

Immigration

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
cont'd ...

My apologies for the typo.

The years for the figure of 168,200
should read - 2014 - 15.

Not 2015 - 15.

My mistake.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 12 June 2017 7:29:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
runner
"I doubt whether the fruit growers who can't get lazy aussies to pick fruit would agree with you ttbn."
All Centerlink has to do is cut off their payments until they starve enough to want to work. Simple.
If the try to steal for a living lock them up for say ten years.
Posted by chrisgaff1000, Monday, 12 June 2017 8:27:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"It is used only as a means of fooling people into thinking the economy is growing."

It's always tricks... like comparing debt as a % of GDP.
They can't just say "We're headed towards a trillion in debt that we'll never ever repay".

Our entire planet is a polished turd.
It's all advertising campaigns and media relations and spin.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 13 June 2017 7:32:05 AM
Foxy IT's a far right thing. they say things straight from the hip without any research, just like Abbott used to do and still does.
If it sounds like it would be good for a bit of sensationalism they are all for it.
Posted by doog, Tuesday, 13 June 2017 8:58:05 AM
Dear doog,

I get the feeling that some people on this forum
feel the need to complain. That's all they do.
If they had nothing to complain about they'd
be miserable.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 13 June 2017 10:05:16 AM
There is another implication of a migrant-refugee intake of 200,000 that I've been trying to get my head around.

The Indigenous population under, say, twenty, forms about 4 % or more of the total Australian population, with about 11,000 Indigenous births each year. The proportion halves by the age of forty, to less than 2 %.

Stereotyping a bit (sorry, Paul), how old are most migrants and refugees when they arrive in Australia ? Between twenty and forty. In those twenty years, at current rates, almost four million more migrants and refugees will come to Australia. The total Indigenous population across those age-groups is less than two hundred thousand, a year's intake of migrants and refugees.

So, the newcomer-intake in one year is equivalent to twenty years of Indigenous population. It begins to impact, roughly, from the age of about twenty.

I used to be confident that the high proportion of Indigenous people under twenty would flow through, and that the Indigenous proportion of the population would inexorably grow. No. I don't think so now. It will barely maintain its 2.4 % currently - perhaps, given very slow growth in birth numbers, about 0.5 % p.a., from one Census to the next, it may even fall.

I'm certainly not saying that somehow it's the fault of newcomers - it's simply an outcome of a generous immigration and refugee policy, and I don't knock that. But it does have an impact indirectly and inadvertently on the proportion of the Australian adult population. Not to mention that the newcomers tend to be young, and will have their families here. Policies can have unforeseen effects. Almost invariably :)

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 13 June 2017 10:39:16 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy