The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > No to abortion in NSW

No to abortion in NSW

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. All
Yuyutsu,

This is a non sequitur…

<<… but our perception of [reality] is indirect because it arrives via our limited senses and our limited minds, thus is badly distorted.>>

Just because our perception of reality is limited by our senses, it does not follow that what we perceive is “badly” distorted. It may not be distorted much at all.

<<The delusion of an "objective" reality of which we can know and understand quite a bit, only arises from the fact that human senses and minds … are quite similar to each other, thus make similar errors.>>

There is no evidence for this. You are making it up.
Posted by AJ Philips, Friday, 19 May 2017 5:41:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Yuyutsu,

You made three erroneous statements in your post of Friday, 19 May 2017 4:30:18 PM.

1. “Are you aware that Judaism never denied the existence of other gods?”

In the past Judaism maintained there were other gods. “Thou shall have no other gods before me”. I’m the big enchilada. However, current Judaism denies there are other gods.

2. “it has no interest in questions of existence. Such questions are relatively new and only arise in the minds of modern men."

Questions of the existence of deity extend back to antiquity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protagoras

“Protagoras (c. 490 BCE – c. 420 BCE) also was a proponent of agnosticism. Reportedly, in his lost work, On the Gods, he wrote: "Concerning the gods, I have no means of knowing whether they exist or not, nor of what sort they may be, because of the obscurity of the subject, and the brevity of human life."

3. “Regarding reality, there is indeed only one reality (i. e. God)."

Here you deny reality by asserting that a creation of the human imagination is the only reality.
Posted by david f, Friday, 19 May 2017 6:29:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
AJ Philips,
Read the original text in Hebrew identifying who is speaking.
Genesis 22: 1. After these things Elohim [plural]God tested Abraham and said to him, “Abraham!” And he said, “Here I am.” ....V7. And Isaac said to his father Abraham, “My father!” And he said, “Here I am, my son.” He said, “Behold, the fire and the wood, but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?” V9. When they came to the place of which Elohim had told him, Abraham built the altar there and laid the wood in order and bound Isaac his son and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. V10 Then Abraham reached out his hand and took the knife to slaughter his son. V11 But YHVH [Singular]spoke to him from heaven and said, “Abraham, Abraham!” And he said, “Here I am.” V13 And Abraham lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, behind him was a ram, caught in a thicket by his horns. And Abraham went and took the ram and offered it up as a burnt offering instead of his son. V15 And YHVH called to Abraham a second time from heaven V16 and said,“By myself I have sworn, declares the Lord, because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, V17 I will surely bless you, and I will surely multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and as the sand that is on the seashore.

NOTE A CLEAR DISTINCTION IS GIVEN OF ELOHIM [plural] AND YHVH [Single]. Indicating who Abraham was listening to. English translations have failed to identify there are two speakers to Abraham. The plural gods of his father or the One true God of Israel.
Posted by Josephus, Saturday, 20 May 2017 7:51:40 PM
I note the atheists here have become obsessed over the rescue of one child from death that happened over 3,000 years ago. But they fail to speak out against the 82,000 abortions that took the life of a potential Australian child last year.
Posted by Josephus, Saturday, 20 May 2017 7:58:47 PM
Dear David,

1. If that was the case, then why haven't the modern Jews (or Christians for that matter) revised Psalm 95 verse 3: "For the Lord is a great God, and a great King above all gods."? This remains the opening psalm of the Friday-night service.

2. Sure, there were pioneer "modern" individuals before, but socially they were the exception rather than the rule.

3. The creations of human imagination aside, I was referring to God, not to the ways different people imagine Him, which are obviously not one. The ultimate reality is one, just as you stated yourself: "My reality is your reality and everybody else's reality".

The idea as if we can use sensual/mental perception/deduction to experience the ultimate reality is absurd: our brain has evolved to serve the rest of our bodies - to find food and shelter, to protect from predators, to procreate. It never evolved to experience reality because that has no material/evolutionary advantages.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Saturday, 20 May 2017 7:59:16 PM
Yuyutsu,
Sometimes the word god means a ruling power. Kings and Emperors were also considered gods. God is King over all kings and emperors. persons were subject to their rulings, and must bow down in homage to them.
Posted by Josephus, Saturday, 20 May 2017 8:04:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11