The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Social Security or Social Suicide

Social Security or Social Suicide

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Pensioners have a right to spend their own money as they see fit. The fact that it used to be taxpayers' money before it was theirs is irrelevant - 'tis theirs now to do with as they please.

If you want to ban pokies, fair enough.
If you want to address the social issues that result in people regarding pokies as worth the time and money, better still.
But limiting people's freedom to spend their own money wouldn't be a good idea even if it were free to administer - let alone the costly bureaucracy it would actually entail.
Posted by Aidan, Thursday, 20 April 2017 5:10:13 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Aidan,

Sorry, yes, you're right - I meant basically all those beneficiaries on unemployment benefits. Of course, they can try studying too.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 20 April 2017 5:44:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In W.A. Those ladies would be haunting the TAB or under a tree somewhere playing cards. End result would be the same.
The Cashless Debit Card has been requested by another Kimberley town and I foresee that in a couple of years the whole Kimberley welfare section will be managed by this card.
Personally I'm in great favour of this card and if I'm put on it won't affect my lifestyle at all, except my EBay shopping will have to be done from the 20% cash component. For the rest, the card does BPay, cash transfers for rent etc and can be used anywhere eftpos is available.
Frankly I think we would see nation wide benefits if everyone on welfare was on this card but I imagine blood would flow if it was suggested for mainstream
Posted by Big Nana, Thursday, 20 April 2017 6:06:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We are taxed on currency that we earn, however we are not taxed for currency that we win (or launder) on games of chance.

Perhaps a substantial tax on winnings would dissuade gamblers and those using the gambling activity for other purpose.

I’m sure the majority of elderly described in the post would prefer the company of community, family and friends rather than the electronic ones described. Alas the vast majority of community, family and friends waste all their irreplaceable and valuable time serving their disproportionately wealthy neo-liberal masters and have little time left for the elderly.
Posted by Producer, Friday, 21 April 2017 11:39:57 AM
Hi Producer,

I have to confess that I don't spend much time serving my disproportionately wealthy neo-liberal masters: are you suggesting that we should ? As one of the decrepit and elderly, I'm involved with a couple of singing groups - Sing Australia, to which any other elderly are warmly invited. But probably we practise on some of the same nights as some of the elderly are practising their button-pressing skills, which is their right. We each make choices. To each his own ......

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 21 April 2017 4:07:50 PM
G’day Joe

I am approaching elderliness, but have yet to achieve a decrepit state, although I have slowed down a bit. I do a bit of volunteer work for a local museum rather than subject the village glee club to my lack of talent in that area. There is a sense of community amongst the men and women of all ages which I enjoy.

Anyway to the subject at hand; no I am not suggesting we or anyone should serve disproportionately wealthy neo-liberal masters or any other master for that matter. I believe the dole should be eliminated and be replaced by a universal job guarantee for a predetermined time in return for a living income, which is funded federally and administered locally.

We have in this country around 1.4 million unemployed and underemployed which represents a significant pool of underutilised human capital that has the potential to generate significant productivity and growth.

We should give all, the opportunity of choice, and that choice should be autonomous, where one is subject to the consequence of our collective actions, rather than be subservient to the many inept and self-serving actions of the current neo-liberal system.
Posted by Producer, Friday, 21 April 2017 4:55:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy